Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on light needed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a new thunderstone player and do not have a full grasp on the light penalty.

Do I need 4 light to fully ylight up the dungeond or do I need 10 light? We have been playing that four light lights up the entire dungeon hall and thas seems quite easy to pull of, 10 light on he other hand seems rather dificult.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing on the Dungeon side of the board (old school...), you need 3 lights to "see" the entire dungeon hall, i.e. to attack any monster without penalties.
If you don't have 3 lights, then, for every light you're missing, you'll have a -2 attack penalty.

For instance, if you only have 2 lights and you want to attack a monter in rank 2 (second space from the entrance), then you're fine and you won't incur any penalty.
However, if you want to attack the monster in rank 3, then you're missing 1 light, which means a penalty of -2 to your attack.

Clearer?

(The penalties are lighter on the Wilderness side of the board, but there are four ranks -- so you would need a total of 4 lights to attack anything there without a penalty.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
wordlyweko wrote:
I'm a new thunderstone player and do not have a full grasp on the light penalty.

Do I need 4 light to fully ylight up the dungeond or do I need 10 light? We have been playing that four light lights up the entire dungeon hall and thas seems quite easy to pull of, 10 light on he other hand seems rather dificult.

Regards

To attack rank 4 (in the Wilderness at least), you need a total of 4 Light to avoid the penalty.

If you only have a total of 3 Light (when attacking a monster in rank 4), then you must take the full -4 penalty.

In the Dungeon, you would require a total of 3 Light to attack a monster in Rank 3 otherwise you would take the full -6 penalty.

Edit: Wrong Again Let's try this....
If you only have a total of 3 Light (when attacking a monster in rank 4), then you must take -1 penalty.

In the Dungeon, you would require a total of 3 Light to attack a monster in Rank 3, if you only had 2 Light you would take a -2 penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
weishaupt wrote:
However, if you want to attack the monster in rank 3, then you're missing 1 light, which means a penalty of -2 to your attack.

Isn't this incorrect. If you are missing 1 Light, then you still take the full penalty, in this case it would be -6 as the monster is on Rank 3 (Dungeon).

Wrong again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
weishaupt wrote:

Isn't this incorrect. If you are missing 1 Light, then you still take the full penalty, in this case it would be -6 as the monster is on Rank 3 (Dungeon).

nope...francis is right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
weishaupt wrote:

No, it's correct. You get a -2 penalty for every point of light missing, you don't take the full penalty for missing just one or two points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I think I got it, thanks everyone =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bek
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jens: You don't have to light up all the ranks before the monster you're attacking, e.g. if you attack a monster at rank 3 you don't have to light up rank 1 and 2 as well (which you seem to have thought when you played with 10 lights to light up the entire dungeon).
You only light up the rank at which you attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.