Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leroy Potter
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
so i have just played this game for the first time today. Im really liking it i think i get the basics. Well except for one thing. What is the difference be exploring in the movement phase of your turn and exploration in the explore phase of the turn. I played assuming that each combat cabable ship group could move into unexplored space as movement and if it did this then it couldnt explore again that turn. Is that correct?

I have scanned this forum and no one else appears to have asked the question so it must be just me who doesnt understand here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"exploring" is "flipping the counter on the hex right-side up". (Exploration tech lets you look at one adjacent one at some point in your turn - don't remember which points, though) Movement does not trigger that, only being in an unexplored (counter face-down) hex during the exploration phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe L.
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement into an un-explored area happens during movement, but you do not flip the exploration counter until the exploration phase. The ships sit in the hex with the face down counter until battles are resolved elsewhere. then in that third phase (exploration) the counters are flipped face up and resolved.

There is no additional movement in the exploration phase, unless the ships have to move because of a supernova or Lost in Space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand something in the rule book. Section 4.2 states:

A unit may not enter a hex with a face down (unexplored) System marker, a Nebula, or Asteroids, unless it starts its turn adjacent to it.

Does this mean that if my ships have been upgraded to have a movement class of 4 (meaning I can move 2 hexes in each turn) and I have a ship that is two hexes away from an unexplored hex, I have to take one turn to move into the adjacent hex that is already explored and stop and wait for the next turn to move into the unexplored hex instead of just moving two hexes through an explored hex into an unexplored hex? If so, what reasonable explanation is there for this limitation? Am I scanning, navigating a new course, plotting warp vectors not already plotted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
I don't understand something in the rule book. Section 4.2 states:

A unit may not enter a hex with a face down (unexplored) System marker, a Nebula, or Asteroids, unless it starts its turn adjacent to it.

Does this mean that if my ships have been upgraded to have a movement class of 4 (meaning I can move 2 hexes in each turn) and I have a ship that is two hexes away from an unexplored hex, I have to take one turn to move into the adjacent hex that is already explored and stop and wait for the next turn to move into the unexplored hex instead of just moving two hexes through an explored hex into an unexplored hex? If so, what reasonable explanation is there for this limitation? Am I scanning, navigating a new course, plotting warp vectors not already plotted?

For your first question you are correct, you may only move your ships one space and must stop beside the unexplored hex. You can then move into the unexplored hex on your next turn. As to why you must do this your listed reasons sound about right to me. Maybe Jim will chime in with an offical answer to the game mechanics background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't speak for Jim, but here goes anyway:

To me, you can't speed directly into an Asteroid/Nebula/Unexplored because thematically you need to navigate into it. Then you would also need to stop inside the Asteroid/Nebula as well since they halt your movement. This certainly does slow down your faster ships but I believe that was the point.

Mechanistically this mitigates some of the advantage you get with Movement tech (which can be a major advantage). But it also illustrates the need for Exploration tech. You could use that to flip an unexplored hex, avoid any Danger/Lost In Space consequences, and move farther, unimpeded. Since every Cruiser equipped with Exploration may explore you could have a stack of CAs use Exploration tech and move in sequence, thus cutting a path for a larger fleet.

Did that clarify things or am I still in a post-Turkey-day haze over here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you could only use exploration technology before moving the Cruiser. Since you can't enter the next unexplored hex any movement speed faster than two is useless in combination.
Other than that I fully agree, they do slow down fast ships and sometimes it might be faster to go around rather than through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes you have to use Exploration tech before moving the cruiser but that doesn't stop you from using a stack of CAs that use Explore tech, then move, then move into an unexplored hex to reveal it. You can also set the ships up to use Exploration tech in a subsequent turn in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Quote:
I can't speak for Jim, but here goes anyway:

Bob, knows the game almost as well as me and he knows the co-op scenario better. Go Bob! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.