BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game buying as a reward for exercise and eating right rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So BGG, I have started a program for myself that I thought you might be interested in. After a vacation where I realized that I simply did not like how I looked in a bathing suit, I decided I need to start eating right and exercising. I am looking to lose about 18 pounds, and then to keep it off while building muscle.

So the gaming part is this. I have linked my game buying to my ability to maintain this program. For each week I maintain it, I can buy a CD (I love bluegrass and several of my favorite bands have come out with new albums recently) If I can maintain it for an entire month, I may buy myself a board game. If I fail to maintain it, then I cannot buy a game until I maintain my plan.

Have any of you done anything like this for motivation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a plan! It should keep you motivated. I noticed that you will be rewarding yourself for staying on plan rather than weight loss. This is a good way to go. Most people reward themselves after a certain number of lost pounds and that can really backfire.

In my personal experience, rewards have never worked. For me anyways. The only thing that truly got me going was realizing that I wanted to be healthy and then doing something about it. The hardest part though is starting and getting going. So a little motivation/bribery never hurts
The only motivational "system" I am trying to use right now is for gaming time. Since gaming is such a sedentary activity, the goal is to get in extra exercise time to make up for gaming. For example, if I know that we'll be gaming for about 3 hours, I'll exercise about 20 minutes longer or get in an extra workout. It's not a very rigid system, just a way to counter the sedentary lifestyle.

Good luck to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your encouragement. My biggest problem (and honestly it is a nice problem to have) is that for the first month or two, I generally don't have a problem. It is only once something trips me up that I have trouble maintaining. That is part of the reason I have instituted CDs and games as weekly and monthly rewards. They are two things that I truly get an endorphin burst from opening for the first time. From what I remember of behavioral psychology, having both a weekly and a bigger monthly together should work together to keep me going.

I was thinking about replacing the guaranteed CD with a randomly intermittent reward system, so I get to gamble on getting a CD if I succeed (this will keep me from spending as much money, while feeding my crippling gambling addiction). I will roll a d20 for every week I succeed, and on 10 or higher I get a cd, but on a 20 I get to buy a game. I will keep the monthly game reward as well, but I am getting excited just thinking about this.

I think what I will do is try to use this thread to keep myself honest, posting both the results of the week and the rewards. Then, when it comes to the end of the month, I may ask for recommendations in a separate thread on what game to purchase to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about some pics to go along with it? Nothing's more inspiring than seeing results.

I don't get the D20. Do you mean you will roll a die each week, 10 or higher gives you a CD and 20 means a new boardgame and 9 or less means you get nothing that week? And every 4th week you buy a boardgame no matter what?

That's interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not dying is enough motivation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

I am not at a "my weight is killing me" weight though. I am at a "I don't look very good in a bathing suit" kind of weight issue. I am blessed with a pretty slim frame. I intend to drop the weight I want to lose, and then start working on maintenance and strength training. Last time I watched my diet and exercise I fell off once I lost the weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muziq
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4th stringer wrote:
For each week I maintain it, I can buy a CD (I love bluegrass and several of my favorite bands have come out with new albums recently)

You should try daily running with a 5-string banjo strapped around your neck, those things are @&@€!-heavy. Or you know, doing sit ups on the beat of "Lee Highway Blues". That kind of exercise will get you there in no time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick M
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you can do to keep yourself motivated to stay healthy is a step forward no matter what. Keep going strong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Not for lots of people. I'm glad it works for you, but to suggest that a simple, even pithy, sentence is going to suddenly make people lose weight, eat right, and so on is ridiculous.

In 1998 I was hospitalized.

I had passed out while reading my son a bed time story.

My blood numbers were so out of wack that I couldn't stay conscious.

I am just a hair over 6' tall. I weighed 250. That doesn't sound all that overweight, does it?

I was told to lose weight. Eighty pounds. Or put up with wonderful things like blood transfusions.

But the moment that got me was - if I didn't get my weight down, I had 5 years max.

So I became a personal trainer and took courses in nutrition.

I lost 75 pounds in two years.

I taught fitness and martial arts courses at local gyms and dojos. I was teaching fitness 14 hours a week at my peak.

How dare you think that that 'pithy sentence' is ridiculous.

It defines my entire life.

The chance that it may save someone elses life is far from ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasabi_Eater wrote:
4th stringer wrote:
For each week I maintain it, I can buy a CD (I love bluegrass and several of my favorite bands have come out with new albums recently)

You should try daily running with a 5-string banjo strapped around your neck, those things are @&@€!-heavy. Or you know, doing sit ups on the beat of "Lee Highway Blues". That kind of exercise will get you there in no time

Im a mandolinist so I have it easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
louper wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Not for lots of people. I'm glad it works for you, but to suggest that a simple, even pithy, sentence is going to suddenly make people lose weight, eat right, and so on is ridiculous.

I am just a hair over 6' tall. I weighed 250. That doesn't sound all that overweight, does it?

I was told to lose weight. Eighty pounds. Or put up with wonderful things like blood transfusions.

But the moment that got me was - if I didn't get my weight down, I had 5 years max.

I taught fitness and martial arts courses at local gyms and dojos. I was teaching fitness 14 hours a week at my peak.

Paul, sincerely didn't mean to offend. I simply meant that, as I said, I'm glad that sentiment works for you, but the thought that such a sentiment would work for everyone, that it would provide enough motivation for everyone, is ridiculous. If that sentiment did work for everyone, there wouldn't be weight-loss programs, fad diets, "The Biggest Loser," and so on.

Also, "pithy" means brief, forceful, and meaningful in expression (according to the dictionary). So I wasn't demeaning your statement at all by calling it pithy.

I hope it saves someone else's life, but some people, as weird as it sounds, need more (or perhaps just different) motivation.

Again, sorry if I offended - it wasn't my intent.

But have you ever watching Biggest Loser. They are yelled at and push and spoken to very bluntly because it was "sympathy" and "pity" that got them to the level they are at.

Your body can be pushed harder and longer than most of us can even imagine, and that's just it. We let our mental get in the way of our physical. You can't talk or think your way though physical pain and strain. Aggression is needed, and in a lot of cases needs to be learned.

People who say do say 'don't be so blunt or pithy' are the reason why all those BS weight loss pills/supplements/fad diets are on the market. It's easy (a mental crutch). Everyone wants to keep there same mentality but see a change physically. A permanent lifestyle change doesn't work that way.

Just trust that I have professional experience in the fields we are currently discussing.

Love you all and I am proud the original OP is looking for a change, but your incentive needs to be the change not the reward. Because, once you reach your goal and no longer have the "reward" you will fall right back into your old routine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized I could use this to do my Dice Rolls, and it would keep me honest on it. Here goes nothing--

DICE ROLL FOR WEEK ONE
1d20 = (17) = 17

Here goes nothing!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 166251. 4th stringer
  • 1d20 =
  • (17) =
  • Wed Aug 8, 2012 5:42 pm
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4th stringer wrote:
Just realized I could use this to do my Dice Rolls, and it would keep me honest on it. Here goes nothing--

DICE ROLL FOR WEEK ONE
4th stringer previously rolled 1d20 = (17) = 17

Here goes nothing!!

Seventeen is a new CD- I think I will get Chris Thile and Michael Daves - Sleep with One Eye Open.

Yay for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent M
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often considered doing something similar myself but never had the willpower to carry it through. Now that I'm married though I have greater motivation and have lost over 20 lbs. by just eating properly.

All the best to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Today I'm closer to dying than I was yesterday. Doesn't matter how healthy I am. I'm always getting older and getting closer to dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
louper wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I think it would have been better if you had included that in your first post. Otherwise it really did seem out of place and more than a little hostile.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to make that major life change. With that additional information your statement makes a lot more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muziq
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4th stringer wrote:
Wasabi_Eater wrote:
4th stringer wrote:

Im a mandolinist so I have it easy!

Well, then you could do knee bends on 1 and 3 and chops on 2 and 4!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a good idea and may use something like it to limit how many board games I buy a month.

Thanks for the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not dying is a shitty one because the reward will never happen.

On a more serious note I don't know what is better, trying to find something fun in exercising alone or finding rewards for exercising.

What kind of exercising are you planning to do?

Because for general health stuff I think the best would be to find something which you _WANT_ to do rather than the most efficient method. Hence not necessary lifting weights and run on thread mills (correct word?) but maybe badminton, dance classes, pilates, running IF THAT'S WHAT YOU LIKE!, canoing/rowing, simming, brisk walks with an audio book, whatever.

Advices for getting there would be cut energy intake by 500 kcal below maintenance (including your new exercise energy requirements), let it take 20 weeks, lift weights - the bigger the exercises the better, try to keep protein intake high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

@OP: I tried a weight loss motivator last summer. I'm a Yucata addict (Yucata is a turn-based board gaming site). The way I motivated myself was that I defined the maximum number of games I was allowed to play simultaneously based on my weight like so: MaxSimultaneousGames = Constant - CurrentWeight. When I reached my max, I couldn't open any more until one finished. It worked at first, I lost about 10 pounds. It didn't stay off sadly, and it was a real struggle given my addiction. I wouldn't blame the idea though, I just didn't have the will.

There is a similar attempt I about read about last year, by a BGG user. He challenged himself by publicly posting his weight on a GeekList. It was the thing that inspired me to try my Yucata-based idea. Maybe it will help you as well.

This was the first post in 2010:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/53176/using-my-addicti...

A year later he posted another GeekList explaining it all:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71447/losing-weight-mo...

I only read the second one. He talked about his struggle with his weight gain and loss and his break up with his girlfriend. I remember it being a good read.

Good luck with your endeavor (no pun intended, I promise)! I'd love to turn weight loss into a multi-player game (that I'm good at!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
But have you ever watching Biggest Loser. They are yelled at and push and spoken to very bluntly because it was "sympathy" and "pity" that got them to the level they are at.

Your body can be pushed harder and longer than most of us can even imagine, and that's just it. We let our mental get in the way of our physical. You can't talk or think your way though physical pain and strain. Aggression is needed, and in a lot of cases needs to be learned.

People who say do say 'don't be so blunt or pithy' are the reason why all those BS weight loss pills/supplements/fad diets are on the market. It's easy (a mental crutch). Everyone wants to keep there same mentality but see a change physically. A permanent lifestyle change doesn't work that way.

Just trust that I have professional experience in the fields we are currently discussing.

Love you all and I am proud the original OP is looking for a change, but your incentive needs to be the change not the reward. Because, once you reach your goal and no longer have the "reward" you will fall right back into your old routine.
Of course you can.

But there's one thing in doing something like biggest loser WHEN YOU'VE GOT A WHOLE FREAKING TIME BEHIND YOU AND A GROUP TO DO IT WITH rather than doing it alone by yourself.

I and most likely very many would most likely be doing better with a personal trainer (cheap option would be to go to a cross-fit class, inspiration within the group and everyone do what's supposed to be done with no excuses until it's done) motivating/keeping track of/making sure it happens.

Also there may be one thing in doing say 6 hours of exercise each day for a few months vs doing it your whole life.

Some people may want to do it their whole life and love it and have time for it. Others may want to spend their time on something else.

There's that small Russian (?) chick which got tabata inspired workouts on youtube ... She doesn't like spending time in the gym but do her tabatas for 20 minutes or whatever and do them frequently and got a fit enough body.

I wonder what it's called.. I may check it up later.

Cross-fit class may be a great idea. Not necessary because cross-fit is magic but rather because you will be doing something good when it's supposed to be done.

Edit: It was BodyRock:
http://www.youtube.com/user/charliejames1975
http://www.bodyrock.tv/

She of course haven't only spent 20 weeks on exercising.

But it's tough and time efficient training which may not feel that fun while doing it but goes by fast and then you're done (and then you'll most likely have to do it the day after again... forever.)

Edit2: Tabata is a method of interval training. Like doing some exercise for 20 seconds, resting 10 seconds, and then go at it again for a few rounds. You won't be able to use all your maximum power for that long time but it's hard work and you can vary the exercises and it's very time efficient.

Edit3: 12 minutes example workout: http://www.bodyrock.tv/2012/08/03/sexy-friggin-body-real-tim...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
louper wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
How dare you think that that 'pithy sentence' is ridiculous

Paul, sincerely didn't mean to offend.

How was he or anyone else supposed to know that there is some whole back story to that remark?

Best wishes to everyone, and good luck with your Quest, 4th stringer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! You will be a 1st stringer in no time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine and another member of BGG here tried something like this. He did it for awhile and found that instead of motivating him to lose the weight what it did was deprive him of what he enjoyed. My suggestion is to work on losing the weight but don't tie anything else to it execpt the goal to lose. Anything else and you will just feel badly, even if you are successful its just not a great way to go.

Its a good goal, I just think it might not be the right way to go about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good plan/motivation as long as you can do it! It gives me an idea for smoking...that saves $5+ per day. Think of the games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.