Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggie and I are going to Austin for a few nights in December. Can anyone recommend a good hotel/neighborhood to stay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Austin Motel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:

*snicker*

That sign looks phallic
[/childish]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you want to do while you are here.

Will you have a car? Do you care about 5 star accomodations, or will a place to park your luggage and sleep be all you need?

Will you want to be Downtown? (north of the river and south of The Capital) University area? (which is north of downtown).

Need more information on your requirements before a proper solution can be recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:

*snicker*

That sign looks phallic
[/childish]

Sometimes a sign is just a sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Brichs wrote:

*snicker*

That sign looks phallic
[/childish]

Sometimes a sign is just a sign.

But not in this case. This place is legend in Austin. It's actually a perfectly nice place though and has a great location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:

Will you have a car? Do you care about 5 star accomodations, or will a place to park your luggage and sleep be all you need?

Will you want to be Downtown? (north of the river and south of The Capital) University area? (which is north of downtown).

Need more information on your requirements before a proper solution can be recommended!

Going to try to go without a car if possible if the taxis are reliable.

I know nothing of Austin other than it's hot in the summer and people there think 50 degrees is cold. Wouldn't mind being near a decent bar/restaurant scene. Don't care too much for live music, so proximity to Emo's means nothing to be.

As for accommodations, it doesn't need to be super nice, but no rat holes either. Cleanliness is important though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

As for accommodations, it doesn't need to be super nice, but no rat holes either. Cleanliness is important though.

To concur with the above posts. The Austin Hotel is where Austinites go for a weekend getaway to Austin. It's cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Personally, I think you can get a car cheaper and be more flexible than if you were to keep paying for taxi rides all over town.

But you could get a place downtown and there are lots of things to see and do there that are within walking distance and not need a car.

Quote:
I know nothing of Austin other than it's hot in the summer and people there think 50 degrees is cold. Wouldn't mind being near a decent bar/restaurant scene. Don't care too much for live music, so proximity to Emo's means nothing to be.

There are lots of hotels, bars, and restaurants near the convention center (4th and Trinity). But you are two blocks away from live music mecca over on 6th street. You could take the Metro Rail train from the 4th street station and head north to the Crestview station and enjoy some beer at Black Star co-op Pub.

Quote:

Check for some good places that are in the convention center area. Marriott Courtyard, Hampton Inn, Four Seasons, Hilton, Radisson.

Consider a car and a GPS (or bring your GPS if you have one), you can go to lots of other places you might normally not get to see without one.

Bob Bullock History Museum and IMAX theater.
University of Texas
Zilker Park (Trail of Lights festival in December if they don't cancel it again, I heard it was coming back with new sponsors)
Food Trailers at various locations around town.
Shopping at "The Domain"
Barton Creek Greenbelt
Visit outlying communities (Round Rock, Pflugerville, Hutto, Lake Travis, Cedar Park, Georgetown, etc...)

Keep up posted on your plans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big question is do you want to spend any of your time here gaming? If so, it can be arranged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
The big question is do you want to spend any of your time here gaming? If so, it can be arranged.

It's tempting, but it's only for 3 days and I have a friend down there I never visited before (plus the zombie mud run).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinando Woicickoski
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
hamzy wrote:

*snicker*

That sign looks phallic
[/childish]

"Motel" meaning "love hotel" in Brazil, I always expect phallic signs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
ky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
erak wrote:

To concur with the above posts. The Austin Hotel is where Austinites go for a weekend getaway to Austin. It's cool.

Yep..been trying to get there myself, better hurry up and make your accommodation if wanting to stay there early. They book up FAST! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
ky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Kafka wrote:

It's tempting, but it's only for 3 days and I have a friend down there I never visited before (plus the zombie mud run).

I just looked up the zombie mud run... that looks like lots of fun. Enjoy!!!! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I was just there for two weeks! I even played games with these guys and some others:

If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb

Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb

I stayed at the Aloft Hotel near the Domain - don't stay there... Although, the Domain was nice, but nothing unique. Just a big outdoor mall with some nice restaurants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Shadowen wrote:

50 degrees is cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.