Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided to place a reply to an e-mail that I received here as an open letter to all interested.

There are three completely different situations affecting any future work on Manoeuvre. First, as a general rule of thumb I dislike expansions to any game. They seldom add to the game and often muck it up. I took a long look at what I wanted to do with Manoeuvre in regard to an expansion and after a couple of years decided that there was a need to create a few new armies destined for the lower rungs of the game that would make playing them and the Americans rewarding. So when we set out on Distant Lands our goal was to occupy the design space at the lowest rungs of the game only. In addition, I wanted to put the Qing Dynasty and Tokugawa Shogunate into the original game but held back due to a lack of information at the time and lack of a good reception to any non-Napoleonic sides in the game. So with Distant Lands we have really just completed the original vision of the game. In addition I have completed the game with a final rule set and everything fits in one box.

The second issue I have is the desire to do something else creative. I have spent a lot of my time on Manoeuvre over the past 10 years and I am a perpetually creative person. As you can see by my offerings on the GMT P500, I enjoy all types of games and I enjoy designing many types of games. So at least for now I am working on some sports games and a very large grand game with very unique strategy styles. I love Manoeuvre and am hardly burned out on it. In fact I will play it at the drop of a hat. But I feel the artist's urge to move on (at least right now).

The third issue is the feasibility of issuing a 2-nation expansion to the game. Right now, thanks to my wonderful wife Carla, this is what I am doing as a job. So I have to take into consideration the economic ramifications of what I spend my time on. I'm sure that given a few months I could cook up the Mexicans and Zulus (along with the Danes and maybe the American Indian tribes. But I have to pitch them to GMT and it was a hard enough sell to get this much-needed expansion out there. Currently I have much better ideas that I am working on and I need to stay with theses ideas out of economic necessity.

Now for the good news... With the iOS implementation of the game, it might be far more likely that there will be a method for "micro expansions" of Manoeuvre for electronic implementation only. If this is possible, I will be more than happy to work on new sides one nation at a time and make them available for the tablet version. It may even be possible for me to make expansions at the individual unit level so you can swap out one unit for a new one. New terrain tiles could be created as well. The new platform may open up a whole new range of possibilities.

In the end, as far as I am concerned right now Manoeuvre with Distant Lands is a closed set as far as its table top version. I have no problem with people making PNP versions of new armies and God bless them if they can pitch a new set of nations to GMT, I will be the first to pre-order it. In fact, as a creator, nothing would make me happier than someone else picking up the building blocks of what I have done and creating something new from them. I think that would be the ultimate reward.

I hope this sheds some light on my thinking and I hope you understand that I am not unhappy and not burnt out but that I feel simple satisfaction with the game I have presented and feel that at the current time designing another expansion is not high on my priority list.

Jeff Horger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Jeff Horger wrote:

First, as a general rule of thumb I dislike expansions to any game. They seldom add to the game and often muck it up...

... In the end, as far as I am concerned right now Manoeuvre with Distant Lands is a closed set as far as its table top version.

I have no problem with people making PNP versions of new armies and God bless them if they can pitch a new set of nations to GMT, I will be the first to pre-order it. In fact, as a creator, nothing would make me happier than someone else picking up the building blocks of what I have done and creating something new from them. I think that would be the ultimate reward.

Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought you were going to announce you were porting Manoeuvre into a sci-fi space setting. Damn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyak wrote:
And here I thought you were going to announce you were porting Manoeuvre into a sci-fi space setting. Damn!

He basically announced that YOU are welcome to do so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
With the iOS implementation of the game, it might be far more likely that there will be a method for "micro expansions" of Manoeuvre

Can you say/do you know anything of when the IOS implementation will be released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is in the process. I have seen screenshots but have yet to have the chance to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a deluxe version of the game? Maybe a larger board with some more hefty pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not in the near future. But never say never.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
Probably not in the near future. But never say never.

To bad

It´s a really cool idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.