Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: diy [+] [View All]
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been looking all over town looking for some chip board but not having any luck. Can't order off the internet unfortunately.

I was wondering if foam board was usable for gameboards/maps and more importantly, for counters. It is quite thick though and little under $4 for two 8.5x11 pieces at wallmart. I don't like the feel of it that much since it is so light, but it does seem pretty sturdy. I've lost my exacto and cutting board as well so it doesn't seem like scissors would really work to cut it.

I would prefer chipboard for price and ease of use but can't find any.

I did find some cake platters that are made of chipboard it seems and comes in packs of 5. they are 12x12 and I think 4mm thick for about $4. The only downside to them is that there is a reflective/mirror type of covering to them. Not sure if it's on both sides or not, but would it affect using label paper on it? They feel pretty sturdy too.

Any other good alternatives that would be easy to find?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really clear on what you are going to make, but you'd be better off with foam wall insulation boards if you are using it to make terrain boards for miniature gaming.

Ah, now I see what you mean.

Try this link...

http://privatewars.kyth.org/making_your_own_counters.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pull the chipboard out of old 3 ring binders
cereal boxes

$4 for 2 pieces of letter sized foam core is horribly expensive.

you have no art stores at all where you live?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
mattboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brewtal_Legend wrote:

I did find some cake platters that are made of chipboard it seems and comes in packs of 5. they are 12x12 and I think 4mm thick for about $4.

4mm is pretty thick for chipboard. Are you sure they aren't corrugated cardboard? Most of the cake platters I've seen are.

Quote:

Find a store that sells mat board for picture framing. Chances are they also have chipboard, but if not the mat board is a more-expensive but suitable alternative. Google Maps says there's a Michael's in Brentwood; they should carry mat board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
Brewtal_Legend wrote:

I did find some cake platters that are made of chipboard it seems and comes in packs of 5. they are 12x12 and I think 4mm thick for about $4.

4mm is pretty thick for chipboard. Are you sure they aren't corrugated cardboard? Most of the cake platters I've seen are.

Quote:

Find a store that sells mat board for picture framing. Chances are they also have chipboard, but if not the mat board is a more-expensive but suitable alternative. Google Maps says there's a Michael's in Brentwood; they should carry mat board.

You can see on the edges that the cake platters are not corrugated.

I know the Michaels in brentwood has matt board but I was under the impression it was pretty large and a bit pricey. I'm looking for smaller manageable sheets. That Michaels hardly has anything otherwise.

Quote:
Not really clear on what you are going to make, but you'd be better off with foam wall insulation boards if you are using it to make terrain boards for miniature gaming.

I'm just looking to make basic flat gameboards, maps, and counters for my own designs and other pnp projects. Just need to find something sturdier and more effective than trying to glue several sheets of 110lbs cardstock together.

Don't wanna disect my binders. Don't usually buy cereal and I would have to wait to eat it first.

When looking online, Walmart was suppose to carry chipboard, but they don't I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use one of these to cut whatever you get, and get a load of blades- they're usually about $15 for 100. Use a cork-backed steel ruler - anything else will either get cut up (aluminum, wood) or slip. You can find the rulers at michaels, probably most office stores, and art stores; a similar style knife should and blades be available at any hardware store.

Personally, I don't like using foam core for counters, they can get blown around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Foam board works well for game boards. I recommend the 30"x20" black foamboard at Office Depot. It comes in a pack of two for $8. I've used this on multiple projects, for game boards, including 3D contour maps. The black foamcore seems to be a little denser than the standard foamcore, so it cuts better, and seems to be less inclined to warp, too (so long as you don't get it wet). Yes, you will need an X-acto or equivalent to cut it, but that's going to be the case for pretty much anything that can be reliably used for making game boards.

Also, I wouldn't use water-based glues to adhere your board image to it. For this, I recommend picking up some Scotch Super-77 spray adhesive. There are other (and cheaper) alternatives, but I've had consistently good results with this adhesive, where some of the others are more inclined to peel at the edges later, trap wrinkles and bubbles under your material, or even cause discoloration in some cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've turned to buying up used boards off eBay. I have a bunch of Monopoly, Clue and Scrabble boards That I can use to make whatever I want and they already are folded and such. You can typically find a large lot of a dozen to twenty of them with very cheap shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cotter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
If you want to try using boards from old mainstream games just drop by a couple thrift stores. Most will have stacks of old games to choose from. You just gotta be sure to get into the boxes and make sure they are still flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got several VPG games mounted on foamboard. Works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check your local Costco or Sam's Club. In some areas between the layers of stuff they'll have thin to thicker chipboard that is perfect for making counters. It's nice because it's in huge sheets...and it's free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Something which has a bit more heft and is available at Home Depot. 3mm Baltic Birch plywood. You'll need to look through the pieces for a good finish on both sides.

Spray adhesive to attach paper.

You'll need coping saw, fret saw or scrollsaw to cut though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The plywood isn't really an option due to lack of tools or budget to get such tools. Thanks though.

I actually found what I believe to be the only two packages of chipboard in exsistance in Antioch. Michaels didn't have any. They looked at me like I was speaking an alien language or something when I even asked. Joan's fabric though I meant cork board.

I went to Aaron bro. arts and frame store, asked them, they didn't even know what I meant and the manager said they didn't have any. Good thing I decided to look around though. They had two packages which I quickly bought. Although $5 for 6 sheets seems a little pricey to me.

I now have 12 pieces of 8.5x11 pieces of chipboard. The only problem is now I have to decide which projects I want to use them on and make sure I don't screw them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Michael's typically hasn't a clue though if you asked the person working the framing area they probably would be able to help you. I'm just not sure they sell them directly. Everything in Aaron Bros is overpriced. I'm loathe to recommend the evil Wally World but Wal-Mart typically has some chipboard in their scrapbooking area. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Medium-Weight-Chipboard-Sheets-12X...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any framing store definitely would have Matt board, it's used in the picture frames. You seem to have gotten an acceptable price for chipboard, large sheets of black/white matt board are usually 20x30 for $5 or $6. Ask about matt board if your sales associates don't understand chipboard, and if they take you to pre-cut pieces for framing, ask if they have uncut sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Paterson
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Droo!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also look at art stores for "Illustration Board". They are about 20x30 (or 30x40) and cost around $3-8. They come in many thicknesses, from thin to at least Carcasonne Tile thickness. You can get some which are black throughout (I like these for diy stuff).

I get mine from Currys here in Canada.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to my local thrift store called "Unique", basically a Goodwill store, and found some old board games that were missing pieces. I used an old Monopoly board, printed out my print and play on an 8x11 piece of label paper and stuck it to the board.

I will admit cutting the board was a chore but a good heavy duty pair of shears did the trick.

The old game cost me less than a $1 and the label paper was about .20.

Just a thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like nice, heavy counters, try self-adhesive linoleum tiles from a home improvement store. Just stick your paper to the tile and cut them out. However, this stuff is thick and heavy enough that I have to use scissors...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.