Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: anyone shop from sci-fi city? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Potato Guy
msg tools
I ran across them looking for the new thunderstone expansion. They seem to have some good discounted prices on stuff but i dont know if they are a reputable site.
I usualy just get my stuff from amazon.

http://shop.sci-fi-city.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sci-Fi City is a brick and mortar store. They have three locations in the USA. I live near the Orlando Fla. Location. They have been in Orlando for over 20 years.

Never had problems with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotten shipments from the 3 or 4 times. Always had good experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ordered from them. No problems here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?
badge
¡Viva la Revolución!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered from them a couple times. Had an inventory issue once, but I expected that at the time. Overall a positive experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Potato Guy
msg tools
Thanks to everyone for the replies! I think ill be placing an order soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I placed an order with them last Christmas and had no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Yea, they keep some harder-to-find miniatures lines in stock, and I've ordered from them several times. Always a great experience, and their communication is great (there was an OOS issue with one of my orders).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have placed one order with them. No issues with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've placed about 3 or 4 large orders with them spaced over a year or two around 2009-2011.

The first one they shipped incredibly speedily. All the rest would take over a week to get out the door. I'd frequently email them asking what was going on, and they'd respond that they were waiting for more inventory. I was getting the impression they were just batching their online orders without any inventory on hand and just pulling stock down from the distributor regularly to fulfill the outstanding online orders.

But maybe I was just very unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/672253/sci-fi-city-olgs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Knutson
United States
Holden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like ordering from them. Their stock isn't necessarily always up to date, but they do a decent job of communicating and offering solutions to the problem. Their prices are cheap and they ship quickly if there are no problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered once. No problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bloom
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered from them for the first time and think it will be also be the only time I do.

Placed a big order on Monday the 10th.
See my credit card charged the 11th.
On 13th, no updates or shipping message, website says order is "pending" so I call for more info.
Am told that one item (7 Wonders: Leaders) was in fact sold out when I placed the order, their website does not update to reflect this, they were silently holding my order until *their* order came in, which they are hoping is this Friday the 14th.
If it does show up then, they will try to get my order out the same day, then I have a 5 days UPS shipping wait, so at the earliest I can hope for my games will show up on Friday the 21st, 11 days after my order, and missing the game event I wanted them for.

The fact they don't update their website to show out-of-stocks and fail to notify the customer about delays at all will probably ensure I stick with Cardhaus or BoardsandBits for all subsequent orders. Shame on me for trying to save about $4 on a $184 order, I suppose.

But if you're in or near Tennessee, and call and explicitly confirm their stuff is in stock, their prices are hard to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered some packs of an out of print CCG from them, two weeks ago. Not directly from their website, but through their shop on amazon.

Everything got confirmed, but 5 days later they cancelled because it turns out they didn't actually have the packs in stock.

So for me: 1 experience, and it's a bad one. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from them, and a item listed as in stock turned out to not be. I was refunded promptly, and sci Fi city agreed to ship out the remainder of my order (which was in stock). However, they got the zip code wrong and USPS wouldn't deliver it (I provided correct info on my account/order), and it is now on its way back to sci Fi city.

EDIT: Don't know what happened, but it appears the issue was on USPS's end. Randy at Sci-Fi City was very active in messaging me and helping to address the situation, and that was very much appreciated.

Still kind of bummed that something listed as in stock on their website wasn't actually there, but at least they were quick to respond/refund that amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Heimlich
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list. I found them through Google as they were listed as having a GREAT price on Spyfall. However, upon getting there it was listed as a pre-order. A few days later it was changed to regular. I ordered it and a few other items (all Pandemic-related). The key thing for me, if you're going up against Amazon, is feedback and fast shipping.

A full day later I got an e-mail saying that there was a problem with the order. Spyfall wasn't actually available. They wanted to know if I wanted to hold the order or ship the rest. I lose another day in replying and another day before they wrote back.

I called based on the reply and spoke to Walt (nice guy). I explained that speed was the key. He got the items together (one was not at the same location) and would try to get them here ASAP. They did make it just in the nick of time, but with normal shipping. They didn't pay more for shipping (which is sort of what they were hinting at, but I didn't expect that anyway.

So I open the box and one of the boxes (on the bottom is clearly a mess. The box is collapsed on the bottom and literally torn. It wasn't due to shipping popcorn or anything. It's clear it left the facility that way.

I wrote back first thing this morning saying this is not right and asked what they want to do about it. No reply yet.

At this point I'm pretty unimpressed. The price was great, but you have to be able to competently deliver what's expected and when expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I merely started asking them questions before I even ordered and figured out they aren't ready for prime time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Soonsin Lee
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I play with Blue
mbmbmbmbmb
I have placed 3 or 4 orders with them as well. No issues whatsoever. So it is a safe and good place to buy from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.