Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » News

Subject: TIE Advanced Preview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elite Pilots and Advanced Tactics

FFG is early today.

Vader and Stele are revealed along with a new talent card. Two different missile types. Not sure which missile I prefer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
I'm generally quite curious about the dice statistics at this point. With the narrow 2-3 range on both attack and defense, the effectiveness of agility is going to have a big impact on balance. It'll be interesting to see if upgrades are well costed, as I have a bit of a concern that the rebels are going to find themselves in trouble in this regard, as they're far more reliant on the upgrades, while the Imperials have the option of more cheap TIEs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Damnit. My initial thought on this game (last year) was, "Oh...a Wings of War: Miniatures variant...I already have a ton of those, I won't get this." Now, I'm seriously reconsidering my opinion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
they got this out quick i wasnt expecting it, and a lot more info than the other preveiws.

darth vader looks like he will easily be the best pilot on the table right now, especially with 2 tie wingmen and a squad leader upgrade.

I think the imperials are getting much better team playing upgrades than the rebels right now, and i can see a good commander doing well with them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
This is just looking better and better...

AnakinOU wrote:
Damnit. My initial thought on this game (last year) was, "Oh...a Wings of War: Miniatures variant...I already have a ton of those, I won't get this." Now, I'm seriously reconsidering my opinion.


I just pictured playing "a wings of war variant" with SW ships... with the soundtracks in the background, and I was instantly sold before I had even seen the first preview.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside: Since WW2, it's been pretty clear that Vic formation is inferior to 2-ship elements because trying to maintain station limits maneuverability of the group, yet 3-ship elements seem to be canon. Maybe long, long ago, they hadn't learned that lesson yet?

Anyway, as this is a dogfighting game where maneuver seems pretty important, even with group tactic cards, I would prefer 2- or 4-ship teams to 3.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
ironman99 wrote:
they got this out quick i wasnt expecting it, and a lot more info than the other preveiws.

darth vader looks like he will easily be the best pilot on the table right now, especially with 2 tie wingmen and a squad leader upgrade.

I think the imperials are getting much better team playing upgrades than the rebels right now, and i can see a good commander doing well with them.


Personally, I think Squad Leader feels better suited to put on a Rebel pilot at the moment. Vader + Swarm Tactics and an Academy Pilot seems insanely effective though. 2 points to give a 12 point model an 8 point buff to their skill stat? In general, I'm very nervous about that card. It pretty well negates any disadvantage of taking those super cheap TIEs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSol wrote:
ironman99 wrote:
they got this out quick i wasnt expecting it, and a lot more info than the other preveiws.

darth vader looks like he will easily be the best pilot on the table right now, especially with 2 tie wingmen and a squad leader upgrade.

I think the imperials are getting much better team playing upgrades than the rebels right now, and i can see a good commander doing well with them.


Personally, I think Squad Leader feels better suited to put on a Rebel pilot at the moment.


Yeah, Squad Leader seems more like a Rebel card and Expert Handling has obvious benefits for Imperials, so it's interesting that the factions represented in the art are reversed from that. Still, I like both illustrations and will probably use both cards in both factions in any case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Clements
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
LunarSol wrote:
ironman99 wrote:
they got this out quick i wasnt expecting it, and a lot more info than the other preveiws.

darth vader looks like he will easily be the best pilot on the table right now, especially with 2 tie wingmen and a squad leader upgrade.

I think the imperials are getting much better team playing upgrades than the rebels right now, and i can see a good commander doing well with them.


Personally, I think Squad Leader feels better suited to put on a Rebel pilot at the moment.


Yeah, Squad Leader seems more like a Rebel card and Expert Handling has obvious benefits for Imperials, so it's interesting that the factions represented in the art are reversed from that. Still, I like both illustrations and will probably use both cards in both factions in any case.


Even though the X-wing is promenantly placed in the image, I believe it is the Tie that has obviously just made a barrel roll to get in firing position. And now he's less likely to get shot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Clements
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Aside: Since WW2, it's been pretty clear that Vic formation is inferior to 2-ship elements because trying to maintain station limits maneuverability of the group, yet 3-ship elements seem to be canon. Maybe long, long ago, they hadn't learned that lesson yet?

Anyway, as this is a dogfighting game where maneuver seems pretty important, even with group tactic cards, I would prefer 2- or 4-ship teams to 3.


While the iconic image of darth vader and the two Ties flying down the trench is imprinted in our brains, I believe most other times in star wars they use 2 and 4 ship formations.

Roque squadren has 12 pilots who split into 3 wings of 4 ships each (at least when they are at full strength). Also, when the Falcon flees the death star it is a formation of 4 Ties that intercept it, and they initially split into to elements of 2 Ties each.

Perhaps Darth Vader couldn't have a 3rd wingman because his own ship was too expensive! Or maybe he just wanted someone to cover the MASSIVE blind splot on each side of him! Either way... he seems to have been a special case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaizot wrote:


Perhaps Darth Vader couldn't have a 3rd wingman because his own ship was too expensive! Or maybe he just wanted someone to cover the MASSIVE blind splot on each side of him! Either way... he seems to have been a special case.


Totally, in the deleted scenes it went something like this:

[Vader has reached the hangar bay where his personal Tie Advanced x1 is housed, as alarms continue to wail. He meets 3 Imperial pilots heading for the same hangar & addresses them]
Darth Vader: Several fighters have broken off from the main group. Come with me!
Pilot 1: Uh, sir, I think we are too many points.
Darth Vader: What?
Pilot 2: You are 29, sir. I'm 12.
Pilot 1: I'm 13.
Darth Vader [to Pilot 3]: What about you?
Pilot: 3:.....17?
Darth Vader[mumbles to himself]: 29 and 12...carry the 1....plus 13....
[Darth Vader force chokes Pilot 3]
[the pilots follow Vader to the hangar]
10 
 Thumb up
0.27
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Kaizot wrote:

While the iconic image of darth vader and the two Ties flying down the trench is imprinted in our brains, I believe most other times in star wars they use 2 and 4 ship formations.

Roque squadren has 12 pilots who split into 3 wings of 4 ships each (at least when they are at full strength). Also, when the Falcon flees the death star it is a formation of 4 Ties that intercept it, and they initially split into to elements of 2 Ties each.

Perhaps Darth Vader couldn't have a 3rd wingman because his own ship was too expensive! Or maybe he just wanted someone to cover the MASSIVE blind splot on each side of him! Either way... he seems to have been a special case.


Yeah, 12 man squadrons are pretty much the norm and usually they're groups of 4 with pairs of wingmen. In Vader's case, he more or less literally just gets an extra wingman because Mauler and Backstabber are essentially bodyguards first and foremost. Black Squadron only having 8 regular TIEs is certainly odd though.

Nothing about the Battle of Yavin is particularly standard though. Most of the attack runs were made of whoever could get disengaged/was still alive. Black Squadron was mostly made of whoever Vader grabbed on his way to the hanger after deciding Tarkin was an idiot. Neither was a great example of military SOP.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, based off this video:


I stand corrected that the main formations are 2- and 4-ship units. Counting numbers within each type, I find 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 of the Rebel fighters. However, at 1:22 the A-Wings are clearly flying in 2 pairs, and at 1:35 the B-Wings are in Finger Four formation. At 2:17, you can see many 4-ship Imperial formations. At 2:58, there are 3 TIE Interceptors, but it looks like one forward element and one back element after losing a wingman. 3 TIE Fighters and 3 TIE Interceptors follow during the trench run, but again they could have suffered attrition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
r3gamer wrote:
I just pictured playing "a wings of war variant" with SW ships... with the soundtracks in the background, and I was instantly sold before I had even seen the first preview.


If you ever want to, just try.There are more than one ready to print in this list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.