Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another way to play with the new Alien Tech Cards. You might use this method to help with Alien Tech deck bloating or if new players are in the game and not familiar with the Alien Technology.

Only play with ONE Space Crane and ONE Mind Control Helmet if you have them.

Start with the Alien Artifact discard pile having all of the new Faction Alien Tech Cards, the Alien City, and the Alien Monument.

With the rest of the Alien Tech Cards, deal out starting tech, set up the Alien Artifact with 3 cards, and play as usual.

When the Alien Tech draw pile runs out, shuffle the discard pile to make a new draw pile, and continue.

You can use a Temporal Warper to get a "Future" Alien Tech Card from the discard pile, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's thematically exquisite. The new tech is "buried" deeper in the Alien Artifact and it takes several explorations to uncover it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mulders
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Zangief, child slammer!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!! I am going to try this one out next time i play.

Last game I started out with the seismic detonator :| that is a weird/useless one!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very interesting idea, but it makes the Temporal Warper into a REALLY powerful card. Often, the TW is seen as one of the weakest cards, but this idea totally flips that around; instead of looking into the past, the TW looks into the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
It's a very interesting idea, but it makes the Temporal Warper into a REALLY powerful card. Often, the TW is seen as one of the weakest cards, but this idea totally flips that around; instead of looking into the past, the TW looks into the future.

Well, if you can warp time in one direction, why not the other? It does make TW into a great card to get as your first card, since you can then choose any of the new techs. While I don't think any of them are as generally useful as a Resource Cache or an Orbital Teleporter or a Booster Pod (or even Plasma Cannon or Stasis Thing (Beam?)), having a choice between them is pretty nice. Then again, I'm not sure that the imbalance is as great as the difference between a starting Resource Cache (IMO the most powerful tech to start with) vs. something like the Seismic Detonator which won't be useful until several turns in. Or Resource Cache vs. Temporal Warper with the standard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a jump to the left...
Temporal Warper is as powerful as it was (at least in my hands), this just gives it a jump-start. A player could start with the technology fished for, or the new technology could have flipped up at the Alien Artifact in a normal game instead of the TW. Either way, the player has to use their 1 discard per turn in order to go fish.

(What we do for starting tech is deal 2 / choose 1.)

Temporal Warper is one of my favorite cards. Not for the top ability (although it is great when I have Pohl), but for the BOTTOM ability. Many people think it is crap, which I find great; that means it won't get stolen from me.

The main reason I came up with this was when I demo games at conventions and there are newbie and veteran players, the new players can get used to the staple technology while the experienced can go fish and try out the new tech. They can look through the discard pile during downtime and get a "sneak peek" of the Factions Alien Tech cards.

Also, Alien City/Monument doesn't usually get picked up until mid-game and starting with it just plain sucks, so we start them in the discards as well.

In a 4-player game, the Alien Tech deck will have 15 cards in it (if including 1 Space Crane/MCH). That is only 5 cycles, then everything is fair game.

The "Have X & Y Alien Tech at end of game." agendas are now easier/harder to do depending on your perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:
Temporal Warper is as powerful as it was (at least in my hands), this just gives it a jump-start. A player could start with the technology fished for, or the new technology could have flipped up at the Alien Artifact in a normal game instead of the TW. Either way, the player has to use their 1 discard per turn in order to go fish.

The thing is - the top ability is not that good. It's okay, and I'll use it in a pinch, but it's not guaranteed to help you (as opposed to, say Booster Pod, where either it will help you or you'll save the 1 fuel). There are situations where it is better than a Booster Pod, but on balance, I'd rather have the BP. The bottom ability is great, if there are some good Alien Tech cards to choose from in the discard. Thus, in a regular game, starting with the Temporal Warper is not great, because you won't be using the discard ability right away. Certainly not as bad as starting with the Seismic Detonator, but personally, I'd much rather have a Resource Cache.

This variant flips that and makes the Temporal Warper probably the best tech to start with, like David said - 1st or 2nd turn, you're not likely to be using a discard action anyway, so the fact that it uses up your one discard is not an issue, and it lets you choose from several tech cards to suit what you need. It's probably still within acceptable power levels, though, at least in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:
.(What we do for starting tech is deal 2 / choose 1.)

I like this as, even in a base game, it would make the TW fully functional right from the start...assuming that the unchosen cards form a discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mulders
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Zangief, child slammer!
mbmbmbmbmb
What you could also add to the rules listed by the OP is maybe start shuffling the put aside (discardpile) cards in after the first time you need to shuffle. but... problem is that it might take a little time .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.