Subject: Matinee Adventure Serial Solo Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried playing the solo version of FANG (with 1 Hero) and it seems like you spend more time playing the Villains and moving the Zepplin rather than adventuring!

So here's my (completely untested) solo version that apes the serials that the game apes.

The Objective is to retrieve one artifact and return it to your Start City before the Villain returns it it Berlin/Chicago.

1. Only 1 Artifact/Adventure combo per 'serial'. You only have 2 x (Fortune + Danger values of the Artifact/Adventure combo) Turns to find the artifact and return it to your home city, otherwise you lose. (And if you like, 3 Turns is one 'chapter' of the serial). Use the Villain Turn track to record Turns.

2. Separate the Danger cards into City Dangers and Wilderness Dangers - easy to do by looking at titles... there are 10 in my City deck (gosh - we really need more...) and 30 in my Wilderness deck.

3. a.Choose 1 Villain to be your Main Villain for the serial (you may alternatively have another Villain as their Sidekick and roll to see which you encounter each time. Republic serials often had 2 Villains).
b.The Villain does not have 'turns' as such but roll 1D6 at the end of each of your Turns. Depending on the Turn number, this will determine if you draw a Villain Event (1 on Turns 1-5, 1-2 on Turns 6-10, 1-3 on Turns 11-15 etc)
c. Each time the Villain Track 'moves' (redundant in this version) give them a Danger token If you are KO'd by a Villain, give them a Danger.
d. The Outpost phase is as normal.
e. The Zepplin moves towards a location each turn as normal BUT retains the location until it reaches there, spawns a mini, then determine a new location next turn. (this saves card draws and is a little more realistic)
f: Villains have no Adventure Phase until they have a total of 6 (this needs testing...) Danger tokens, then they go to the Artifact Location (which you may not know yet..) and Adventure as normal.
g. If a Villain recovers the artifact, they attempt to get it back to their HQ by rolling 1D6 for movement just before the Zepplin moves. If a Hero enters the same space they may Fight the Villain (to the bitter end) to recover the artifact
h. If a Nazi Villain gains the artifact, once the Zepplin has finished its assignment, it attempts to move to intercept the Villain, pick them upt and then returns to Berlin. The Villain is then assumed to be on it.
h. If a Villain is KO'd they are removed from the game.

4. Do not roll for the Location of the artifact. Instead, use the Quest rules with the number counters. Roughly ,this is:
a: Use 20 counters (out of 24 - take out 3 '0' and the '6').
b: Place one counter face down on a random City and 1 on a random space. These are the Clues.
c: When you reach a Clue space you must overcome 2 Wilderness Dangers if in a space or have 1 City card then 1 City Danger if in a City to look at the Clue counter.
d: Pick up the Clue counter. If it is a number, you need to get a total of 6 to draw the location of the Artifact. If you draw Attack, you encounter the Villain, X you draw an Enemy card (or Nazi Enemy if your Vilain is a Nazi)
e: Place a new Clue counter at a new City or Space (replacing the Clue you'e discovered)
f. Once you know the location, travel to it as normal and have Adventures as normal.
g.If you recover the artifact you need to return to your Home City to win the game - each turn after your Move you must perform a Sneak Test against the Villain or encounter them.

There you go - see how that plays.

Any of the other options that I've created (like Capture, Museums, Legends) etc can also be used.

If you want more 'serial flavour' you could try starting 'in media res' with your Hero in a cliffhanger situation that enables you to start with some Glory if you overcome it (and is a nice action start to the game). You can exert and fully Heal before the game starts - although if you choose to gamble and not exert, you gain double the Glory!

You could also use a deck of 'Adventure Hooks' to start the game. These are (without their game effects):
1. Dusty Map
2: Bloody Map
3: Relic Fragment
4: Attacked (x2 in deck)
5: Lost Expedition
6: Museum Theft
7: Museum Exhibition
8: Friend in Need (2 in deck)
9. Dead Body (2 in deck)
10: Chase (x2 in deck - 1 Foot, 1 Car)
11: Mysterious Package
12: Travelling Plans (x2 in deck - one to city, one to space)
13: News Article
14: Dig site
15: Torn maunscript

You draw one of these Adventure Hook cards before your first Turn starts (after the media res cliffhanger if playing that rule).

Thoughts and comments welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tested this today and had a great time - session report to follow...

A few tweaks:

1: The Turn limit is not needed - the game takes care of this by itself.

2: It played about 2 Turns per 'thrilling Chapter' actually.

3. Once the Location of the Artifact has been revealed, all Clue gains (for both the Hero and the Villain) count as double. This makes it easier to get anexciting climax at the end.

4. The roll for a Villain Event is 1-2 at the start (turns 1-5), then 1--3 (Turns 6-10) etc.

5. Each time the Villain track hits a red number (5,10,15 etc), the Villain gains 1 Clue at the start of the Villain Adventure Phase

6. When you get to the final Adventure location, each Test you attempt has an extra X to succeed - and the Villain has a -1 modifier to their Search dice (makes it more nailbiting at the end...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Couch
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the "Republic Serials" you mention a few times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SchoonerTorrent wrote:
Black and white short films produced to be shown once a week in cinemas in the 1930's & 40's. Buck Rogers & The Lone ranger, that sort of stuff.

Occasionally they used to be (maybe 5-10 years ago) broadcast on UK TV as daily fillers over Christmas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Brilliant work Simon !

Awesome to check out your 'other work'

I've had the game for some time but not played it yet. I'll be giving it a go with your rules this weekend.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you like it Craig - take it for a spin and let me know how you got on.

Check out my Indiana Jones session report for my first game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SchoonerTorrent wrote:

This wikipedia list may be of interest to you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_serials_by_studio
and indeed to anyone interested in this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 3 'serials' this afternoon - each lasted about an hour. I used the above rules with slight tweaks here and there.

All the Heroes were up against my new Vile Organisation - The Tong!

'The Silver Dragon and the Sacred Stone'
A lost expedition took The Dragon across the globe as he fought off Doctor Syn himself. the sacred Stone had come to Earth landing in Stonehenge!
The evil Doctor manged to find the clues to it and made off with it with the Dragon in hot pursuit. They battled across Asia but it was too late and Syn managed to reach his hidden mountain fortress in the Himalayas before the Dragon couls stop him.

'Li Mei Chen and the Mine of Loki'.
From Hong Kong, South America and San Francisco, Li and Baxter her faithful hound, escaped the clutches of Jian Cheng, Doctor Syn's most feared assassin!
Everything looked doomed in Bombay when Li was captured by the Tong and put to fight a giant scorpion, but her agility proved her strength as she escaped and found the Mine deep within the South Sea Islands. After an amazing adventure in the mine, Li escaped with treasure and returned to Hong Kong before Cheng could catch her!

'Shelley Hargrove and the Mask of the Golden Mummy'
A new Museum exhibit in Paris took Shelley on a tour of cities and dangers across the world. Her nemesis was Lin Tang - Dragon Lady who pursued her wherever she went - even interrrogating Shelley for clues and feeding her to that giant scorpion again...!
Eventually the trail led Shelley to the heart of the USA and it was a nailbiting race to see who could overcome the dangers first. Fortunately Shelley won through and flew back to Paris with the fabled Mask before Lin Tang could stop her.

A great set of games and I'm very pleased with how the new rules - Capture, Hooks and Tongs - work.

This variant doesn't seem to work well with the Guest Stars however....hmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinelli
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon:
I just did a quick play with your excellent variant rules and have several questions.

1. On a wilderness space, can you camp down between wilderness dangers? In a city, can you camp down between resolving the city card and attempting the city danger?

2.If you draw the attack counter, how many fight rounds do you do with the villain you encounter?

3. If you have the artifact and you are K.O'd by the villain, does the villain automatically steal the artifact or do you roll for losing the artifact per the normal rules?. It would seem a cheap way to win if you somehow can retain the artifact and end up in your home city.

4. If the villain has the artifact and is aboard the zeppelin, do you have to successfully sneak aboard the zeppelin, or if discovered,defeat the nazi soldiers before you fight the villain to the bitter end?

5. What determines when a new chapter starts? Is there some significance to game play?

6.If the villain is K.O'd, is he/she replaced? If not, it would seem you are just going through the motions to recover the artifact and bring to home.

7. Does the villain still need six danger tokens to proceed to the artifact location? After your playtesting, does this number still seem good?

8. What happens if the artifact is a temple and it collapses? Do you reset the game from the beginning or just call it a tie?

I know these are alot of questions but I want to get it right because after my limited play I enjoy this variant much more than the published solo rules. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.