andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought this game a while back and finally got it to the table when I visited a friend and we literally had hours and hours to figure this out. We managed to play 3 games (2 completely) with each taking 6-10 hours, mostly because we didn't know the rules and then would proceed to argue about the rules, checking the faq and in general trying to wrap our heads around the rules.

We both LOVE this game, but one needs to throw out most general rule concepts of wargames. So thinking ahead and wanting to teach this game to others without our huge time commitment, I was thinking, wouldn't it be great to have a list of examples that go through all the exceptions to the attacks.

I've seen a few (like a huge corp stack that loses to a smaller stack), but how about artillery attacks that are coordinated, or how cavalry feints are used to pick apart corps, or the whole concept that cavalry can attack in (or defend) obstructed areas but not LEAD the attack and why that can be useful.

One would just go through this list while teaching (or refreshing) the game making it easier to learn by going through visually and hands on.

Anyone think this could be a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some very good instructional clips in the video section, but unfortunately they don't cover everything. You could check those out as inspiration, and feel free to fill the gaps, if you have the skills
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked in the Strategy section of this forum? There are quite a few threads/articles covering this kind of stuff. Also, many of the session reports can give you detailed examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Fromme
Germany
Freising
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the answers above: When I teach the game to new players I use Benni's absolutely invaluable graphical cheat sheet. There are some small errors in there which you can easily correct by reading the file comments.
In my experience it all comes together nicely once a new player has understood the precise attack sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is best to start with some tricks and tips by :

Matt THROWER's thread Learning the game - a strategy primer : setup principles, combat principles, use of infantry, cavalry and artillery

Ziegreich's thread Combat tactics, especially using artillery and cavalry : combat in general, use of infantry, cavalry and artillery

Tom H's thread NT boot camp notes written on the inside of my sleeve : use of infantry, cavalry and artillery, flanking etc...

Bowen SIMMONS's examples of combat : Re: Examples

Then, follow with illustrated examples of :
Z A
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Attack Sequence (1/4) : infantry vs infantry.
Attack Sequence (2/4) : infantry vs artillery/infantry.
Attack Sequence (3/4) : infantry vs artillery/cavalry.
Attack Sequence (4/4) : infantry vs infantry.

Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Illustrated example(s) of taking a locale from a corps head on : why frontal assaults never work out the way novice players sometimes expect them to.

Must read for new players! -- Mini Attack Sequence : combat resolution
Enfants Perdus : how to sacrifice
Gauntlet Run -- Cavalry Continuation : cavalry attacks by road, feints and cavalry screen
Perfidious Equines : cavalry threat
Positional defence and coordinated attack : flanking attacks/attritional assaults

This was a great help for me.
Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
fdubois wrote:
Collection of helpful links

Thanks for putting this together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.