Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Art Feedback Wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lewis
msg tools
I've been playing with some stock images to try to get a unique look for my game. I'd love to hear feedback/critique on these characters as I've tried some new PS techniques and kind of like this look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd use different backgrounds on the icons (behind the numbers) to help out those who are color blind. Also, the corners of the bent line topping the information display are a bit too far down; they make me feel like the image is "slipping" downwards.

Other than that, nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason the images aren't appearing for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lewis
msg tools
Should be fixed now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Heya Joe, I think they look cool, love the "plasticy" look of them (that is intended as a compliment even though the word sucks)

It might help if you dirty them up a little bit, I would try putting a heavy, gothic Vignette on the pictures - or going to deviant art, downloading some photoshop "grunge brush" and going mental on the illustrations.

These might help it look more vampirey or gothic depending on what you are after
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Dziewonski
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
wannabe designer, arduous gamer, aspiring creator
mbmbmbmbmb
filwi wrote:
I'd use different backgrounds on the icons (behind the numbers) to help out those who are color blind.

This can hopefully be remedied by making sure each colour stays in the same place on each and every card (and this gets pointed out clearly in the game manual).

I like how there's very little visual noise on the cards. They're really clear to read and the visuals take up most of the space. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Looks too obviously photoshopped", so to speak.

I don't particularly like the LNOE photoshops, either, but they're less garish / strong / whatever than yours.

OTOH, I'd experiment with that coloring technique where one spot / area of color is obviously there *not* to blend in with the rest.

Layout's decent, but the area where the text and numbers looks too (opposite of muted) to me. I'd like to see the numbers blend into the jewels more, not look like a stark font on top of a somewhat three-dimensional object.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Sanguine Magistrix--very nice use of a feminine noun--is far and away the best of the five. The head and shoulder portraits aren't all that interesting to me and one red eyed vampire is going to blend into another really, really fast in my mind. The hard borders around the portraits are a little dull. Ragged edges or a vignette effect as suggested by Sam would add some appeal. Just as there is a space between the coloured circles and the black border I think there should be space between one circle and the one above it. A much more gentle arc at the bottom of the pictures is a good suggestion from Filip. A little baroque ornamentation on that arc might fit in with the romantic notions the vampires evoke, mayhaps a border of grotesques, perhaps even a different grotesque for each group in the set, a little subtle touch that could be appreciated by the discerning viewer. The technical and artistic skill you use to create these: well done, it's a smashing job Joe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally the heavily photoshopped look really turns me off. Just looks like a lot of cosplayers to me.

The whole gothic vampire vibe isn't my thing anyway, but I think this style would turn me off even when applied to a genre I do enjoy.

I would always much prefer illustration. It allows for much more suspensions of disbelief in my opinion, and can easily avoid the problem of looking silly.

Hope that's helpful in some way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, i always prefer vampires linked to terror than sexy and gothic things. Like in comic book series American Vampire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ianotoole wrote:
Personally the heavily photoshopped look really turns me off. Just looks like a lot of cosplayers to me.

Reminds me strongly of the early 90's when computer games were into the quicktime movies and greenscreen. Phantasmagoria and gabriel Knight sort of stuff. everything was so "clean" and placed. I think the top vamp looks like sarah jessica parker. LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I was so disappointed when Gabriel Knight moved to using actors. I LOVED The Sins of the Fathers, fantastic game. Great example of the fact that, even though the first game's art is stylised and bitmapped, it was far more immersive because you weren't constantly distracted by bad actors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lewis
msg tools
Ianotoole wrote:

The whole gothic vampire vibe isn't my thing anyway, but I think this style would turn me off even when applied to a genre I do enjoy.

I would always much prefer illustration. It allows for much more suspensions of disbelief in my opinion, and can easily avoid the problem of looking silly.

Hope that's helpful in some way!

I get it. I wish I had $25,000 to pay for professional illustration for my card images, but that's not the case. So this is the route I have to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lewis
msg tools
How's this for a vignette?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ianotoole wrote:
Yep, I was so disappointed when Gabriel Knight moved to using actors. I LOVED The Sins of the Fathers, fantastic game. Great example of the fact that, even though the first game's art is stylised and bitmapped, it was far more immersive because you weren't constantly distracted by bad actors.

I agree, I hated that wave of games. The actors were always SO bad! Altho 7th guest is still one of my favorite computer games. I loved that, for whatever reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many cards will there be in total Joe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lewis
msg tools
Ianotoole wrote:
How many cards will there be in total Joe?

280ish in the first set.

I've gone back to the drawing board with Photoshop and also added Corel Painter to some of the techniques I've been using. I think I've come up with a more "illustrated" and less "Photoshopped" look for the art. Feedback appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.