Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The English Premier League has been actively and aggressively attempting to market its brand to the US, first with Fox Soccer, later with ESPN and most recently with network TV. This coming season (which kicks off in 10 days) even has a prime time show following the fans and players of Liverpool FC.

As a fan of (and former season ticket holder for) Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, I can now see more games live each season on TV from New York than I could if I was in England. As a fringe member of the NYSpurs fan club, I have seen both Fox Soccer and THFC reach out to US fans, seeing what can be done to attract viewers.

One of the key things appears to be to pull in people by getting them to pick a team, and to do so they have created highlight clips, spotlighting past history as well as current stars and events.

The following 3-minute clip was shown on big screens before the recent pre-season Spurs friendlies in Baltimore and New York. (Not sure about LA.)

The first time I saw it, it left me with tears streaming down my face.

I'm curious to know what people with no affiliation, no investment in the team (or even the sport) make of it.

This clip includes my *all time* favorite goal. Can you guess which one? Hint - it is over 2 decades old . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Re: [YT] Why I love THFC . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
While I adore the World Cup and the Euro Cup tournaments, regular league soccer play holds absolutely zero interest for me.

I still enjoy watching major league sports around the playoffs, but I find it really hard to get emotionally invested in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have no choice but to acknowlegde Arsenal's run of success over Spurs for more years than I care to remember, that image is a little specific in its timeframe.

I mean, over the last 8 years it's 1-0 to Spurs in trophies, no?

And all time it's much closer than the image suggests, with Spurs' 8 FA Cup wins, 4 League Cups, 3 European trophies and 2 titles.

Typical Arsenal, trying to overstate a case that in all honesty doesn't need it - just list league titles (like Yankees / Red Sox . . .)

On the other hand, I have no complaint with anyone who admits to being a Hammers fan, (thanks for Scotty Parker, btw . . .)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
While I adore the World Cup and the Euro Cup tournaments, regular league soccer play holds absolutely zero interest for me.

I still enjoy watching major league sports around the playoffs, but I find it really hard to get emotionally invested in it.

And I think this is the point. If the league could get you interested in the fortune of a single team - ideally a team with a long and storied history - all of a sudden you are invested in the League.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool clip, well done. Only drawback is that it is Spurs and not Man U.

Glory! Glory! Man. United!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

And I think this is the point. If the league could get you interested in the fortune of a single team - ideally a team with a long and storied history - all of a sudden you are invested in the League.

Pretty much all of the European teams have long storied histories. I think the bigger hurdle is a) access - most people aren't going to go looking for access to FSC and those who do (me) may get frustrated by lack of access to FSC + et. al. (wondering what is going on with Bein sports/gol etc., etc.) - in other words access to world foot ball is spotty and weird in the US

b) getting over the general snarky attitude many have of football - "a girl's game" "too much diving" "NFL is better" "soccer is boring"

How are you going to correct b without a? THAT to me is the problem. I caught something or another the other day, I believe it was on NBC sports stations watching MLS - that the younger demo is more soccer savvy so hopefully that will improve b - but a is very frustrating - even for major fans of the sport...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) is what they are working on this coming season. It started at the end of last season with games on network TV. It helps that they lucked into 2 or 3 of the most exciting matches of the year . . .

b) is taken care of by exposure, much the same way that Gridiron Football sells well in the UK - despite a longstanding, unititiated underlying attitude of "it's rugby for girls".

I agree that there are many teams with great history - a ManUre (sorry, can't help myself) Man Utd clip in the vein of the Spurs clip above would be epic. Clips like these start to go beyond just modern day players (most of whom do not stay with one club any length of time) and to the traditions and personalities. The Yankees do this exceptionally well in Baseball, keeping Old Timers involved and visible.

Really, I'm just excited for the season to start. After the most gut crushing end to a season I can remember, this off-season has been more upbeat than any in my memory.

COYS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

I suppose so, but if I were going to choose to get invested in a team, it's would be something from the Bundesliga.

I also have no grasp of the playoff system(s). I do know about relegation, which I think it a brilliant idea - I wish they'd implement it in the NHL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
nycavri wrote:
On the other hand, I have no complaint with anyone who admits to being a Hammers fan, (thanks for Scotty Parker, btw . . .)
Well, we're back from relegation and we're pissed, so watch out! Although getting that cushy new olympic soccer stadium all to ourselves will be a nice welcome-back gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Although getting that cushy new olympic soccer stadium all to ourselves will be a nice welcome-back gift.

No way it's a soccer stadium with the fans separated by a running track. Going to be worse than the Woolwich Library . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I also have no grasp of the playoff system.

That one's easy enough.

There isn't one.

3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, nothing for a loss. Team with the most points after playing every other team in the division twice (once home, once away) wins the title.

Gets more complex in the lower divisions with a playoff to see which final team gains promotion, but I don't think that's what you are talking about . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
nycavri wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Although getting that cushy new olympic soccer stadium all to ourselves will be a nice welcome-back gift.

No way it's a soccer stadium with the fans separated by a running track. Going to be worse than the Woolwich Library . . .
There are already engineering plans in place for renovation to a footie-friendly field. Thus West Ham wouldn't move in until 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never followed much of the british footbal, but I loved Arsenal's team back when it was half french.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
I've never followed much of the british footbal, but I loved Arsenal's team back when it was half french.

First team in English football to take the pitch without a single English player . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played soccer my entire life including a stint of semi-pro footie in England itself. I'm a huge fan of the sport and follow it overseas as well as here at home. However, I have zero interest in picking an EPL team to root for due to the lack of parity in the league. It's always the same 4-5 teams at the top. To me, that's yawn-worthy...incredibly yawn-worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
It's always the same 4-5 teams at the top.

And which 5 teams would that be? It didn't include Man City until the last two years. Didn't include Spurs in forever until Martin Jol.

Man U and Arsenal have been perennials, but Chelsea dropped out of that elite group this year, and Liverpool dropped even further.

The title races have been run amongst a small elite group for a while, but (we can hope) those days appear to be coming to an end with the introduction of Fair Play financial rules in furure seasons.

I support those not wanting root for a front runner. That is why I love the idea of picking a club with history, to live through their highs and (inevitable) lows.

It's one thing all Spurs fans have in common - the shared disappointment of not-quite, almost, might-have-been that haunts us, interspersed with regular but all too occasional moments of Glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having fully watched the video, I fail to see anything that would generate tears streaming down my face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Having fully watched the video, I fail to see anything that would generate tears streaming down my face.

Yeah, that was kind of my question - if the clip was effective for casual/non fans.

Many of the moments are iconic to long time Spurs fans - Glen Hoddle's last goal at White Hart Lane, Ricky Villa's Cup winning goal, Lennon to Crouch to beat Milan in the Champion's League, Mabbutt/Perryman/Roberts raising the Cup.

Reminds us why we go through hell with this underacheiving team year afer year - Spurs were once (50 years ago) the best team in the world, and still try to play "the right way", sometimes to their detriment.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
- Bill Nicholson

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
- Danny Blanchflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Spurs fan so of course I enjoyed it. We always play attractively even at the cost of results sometimes but I'm happy with that.

Also that Arsenal mind the gap graphic is massively false as I pointed out to Mike Hibbert on Facebook the other day. Arsenal are more successful in the league and (just) in the FA Cup but we have a better record in the League Cup and in European competition. So I have no idea how the sorted that image out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
Not seeing much love for your own MLS by all you US-based people...

It's getting there. But to date the quality of play is still pretty mediocre. I *want* to like it - I went to a few Metrostars games in their inaugural season - but at the end of the day, I'd rather watch the pros . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I have no idea how the sorted that image out.

Pretty sure it's trophies since (something like) 1992 . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
This clip includes my *all time* favorite goal. Can you guess which one?
Hard to guess with so many quality goals, but the one-timer at 1:13 was my favorite.

Edit: Come on Fulham!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jimbrax wrote:
Not seeing much love for your own MLS by all you US-based people...
Considering 2/3rds of MLS teams can't even turn a profit, it appears it will take awhile for Americans to truly warm up to our own teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.