United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Acres was on the docket for 2012 World Boardgaming Championships. Anyone care to spill the beans on how the tournament ended up shaking out..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

They decided it wasn't a wargame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

They decided it wasn't a wargame

Do you know that, or are you joking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the silence, perhaps the answer is, "What happens in Halifax, stays in Halifax."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
It might take awhile for someone to write up a full report, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just aborted it like they did at PrezCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Given the silence, perhaps the answer is, "What happens in Halifax, stays in Halifax."

This is what I think really happened.

Prior to the tournament, half of the competitors had a little too much to drink.

When they sat down to play, the sober players realized that their opponents were Hammered.

The results of the entire first round was clear even before the boards were set-up.

This caused such a controversy that the entire tournament was scrapped.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm joking. I have no idea what happened and am looking forward to hearing about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you I was knocked out the first round by Mr. Henning who did well I heard he lost in the semi or in the final...But I did not stay to see the final result. So I am curious too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romain wrote:
I can tell you I was knocked out the first round by Mr. Henning who did well I heard he lost in the semi or in the final...But I did not stay to see the final result. So I am curious too.

Can you tell us about how the games were set up?

Was there any deviations from the rules as printed to accommodate for the HH? If so, how was that done and what did you think of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hansi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found some information about AFAoS at WBC here:

http://ziggyny.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! From the winner of the tournament:
Quote:
The entire event I kept hearing people talking strategy and everyone seemed to think there was an appropriate counter to any strategy and the game was therefore well balanced and there isn't a British problem. I think they're all crazy and maybe after the event people will believe me more?

They bid for extra actions when playing French. In round 5 of the tourney, the winner won as Brits with 6+ French actions. I don't know when they got to use these actions but I suppose at the start ..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ziggyny.blogspot.com wrote:
She let me have the British for 2 and let me know that she'd only played like 4 games total and only as the French but had been told a good strategy by her brother. This let me know what her plan was, but it didn't matter at all. I have a very specific British strategy that I use every game.

And that there is the problem...

It's interesting how few people have figured out the strategy to this game - I tried very hard when I was first learning it to not read about the HH, but after 2 plays a rough idea of it was just obvious. After a few more games, I found all the forum threads, and it just boggled my mind that people were actually arguing that the HH was not broken. Some guy said he'd played over 100 games (I think?) and it was 50-50 for each side. How do you go 100 games without learning how the game works? That's nuts!

Anyway, the bidding for discards (I think that's what they bid for, right?) seems like an okay way of balancing things. I think if there had been better French players, that 5+ would have been enough to win. It just sounds like no one was really prepared to beat the HH.

All my recent games (that I've started anyway) on Yucata have been FreeFur games. And even though I like it, it still seems like strategy is kind of static... With both sides, I tend to attack aggressively early, then either a) lose, or b) when my opponent is on their heels, develop out. Though it has to do a better job of mixing things up than bidding for discards, I think...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Nice! From the winner of the tournament:
Quote:
The entire event I kept hearing people talking strategy and everyone seemed to think there was an appropriate counter to any strategy and the game was therefore well balanced and there isn't a British problem. I think they're all crazy and maybe after the event people will believe me more?

They bid for extra actions when playing French. In round 5 of the tourney, the winner won as Brits with 6+ French actions. I don't know when they got to use these actions but I suppose at the start ..?

I don't think it can possible be extra actions. I could swear it was Free Action discards... If it was extra actions taken at the start, I think 3 would be the most you could reasonably use, and I think even that would guarantee a French victory for a competent player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I dunno, he says "free actions"...

Quote:
What I did end up doing was playing A Few Acres of Snow at 12. The GM let me know that I could play round 1, lose, and still advance because I won the mulligan round the night before. Great! Maybe I can play someone good for a stupidly high bid and figure out what a reasonable bid is going to be. Not to be. My opponent had played once before. He let me have the British for 3 and then proceeded to never use any of the free actions. I did my only British opener (buy rangers, make 6 and buy governor, governor away Pemaquid and St Mary's, make money and buy guns, attack, win) and blew him up.
Sounds like most players were weak and didn't understand either the bidding or the game, but his Round 5 opponent seemed to have a clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the finals opponent didn't know or forgot a rule:

Quote:
Nick had run out of money ambushing by this point and tried to trader with a bunch of western furs. I pointed out that he couldn't actually use those cards anymore since they had no support from Quebec once he lost the fight in Trois Rivieres.

Separately, I wonder where this "free action discard" (if that's what it is) bidding approach came from, and if it's been tested and shown to work for competitive play, or whether this was an experiment. It sounds intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brer Bear2 wrote:
I found some information about AFAoS at WBC here:

http://ziggyny.blogspot.com

That was a good read. Nick and I have played several times on Yucata, British always winning, of course, but he's one of the few I've played against to ever even put up much of a fight, and vice versa, I am sure.

Be nice if Yucata implemented the WBC bidding rules as an option. What you say Brer Bear?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I'm assuming that the HH is good that even letting the French player go first doesn't solve it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning of the game, players had to bid to play the Brits. A bid of one meant that once in the game the French could discard a card as a free action. At my game, my opponent bid one, I bid two, and to my surprise he passed.

At his first turn, he started a siege to Pemaquid. A very long one, where both of us built a lot of military. I won the siege barely and felt I should build more military before starting a siege at Port Royal. He recovered his free infantery and bought a settler. When I won the siege of Port Royal, he had developped deeply in his territory. I sieged Louisbourg. I was bad lucky at the end of my siege. I had five cards left in my deck, draw two useless cards, leaving 2 infanteries and my cannon at the bottom of the deck. I made a terrible mistake at that point and discarded my settlers to get my military. Next turn, I won the siege with no settler in my hand to colonize Louisbourg. He had only one disk to place to finish and win the game. He did it before I was able to take Louisbourg.

In retrospective, I could have corrected my mistake by discarding some of my military and get settlers before winning my siege. When I play French, I always try to keep Québec in my hand in case I win an offensive siege. There are so many ways to get settlers when you play Brits that I did not think about doing the same in this case. gulp

I am not sure it would have been enough to win the game, since he was so advance in his development. But it would have give me a chance to start a siege at Trois-Rivières when he would have put his last disc.

Note that my opponent use the free discard action to discard Port Royal when I was sieging it and once more to get military in his hand quicker when I was sieging Louisbourg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.