Robert Boyd
United States
Story City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Here is a system I devised which allows for an easy way to level up your characters beyond level 2 (in one scenario or in a campaign) while maintaining the difficulty and giving your heroes a more epic feel! You can simply place the matching hero token that comes with each game on the appropriate level as they level up. Let me know what you think!

Level 3
+1AC +2HP +1 Surge Cost: 10xp (with d20)/20xp
-Select an additional Daily, Utility, or At-Will card from among your hero’s available choices.
-Instead of attacking you may now flip over 1 daily or utility power face up.
-You now deal +1 damage on a roll of 19-20.

Monster Mod: The first time during each of your turns that you place a 1xp monster immediately place another monster adjacent to the previous monster.

Level 4
*+2AC *+4HP *+2 Surge *+1 Speed Cost: 15xp (with d20)/30xp
-Select an additional Daily, Utility, or At-Will card from among your hero’s available choices.
-You receive 1 additional attack per turn.
-You now deal +1 damage on a roll of 18-20.

Monster Mod (replaces former mods): Every time you place a 1xp monster immediately place another monster adjacent to the previous monster (this ability can chain).

Level 5
*+3AC *+6HP *+3 Surge *+2 Speed Cost: 20xp (with d20)/40xp
-You may now use all available cards from among your hero’s choices.
-You may now heal 1HP at the beginning of your Hero Phase. When you heal in this way you cannot receive HP from another source this turn.
-You now deal +1 damage on a roll of 17-20.

Monster Mod (replaces former mods): Whenever you would place a monster, double the number of monsters you place. If you do not place a monster during your turn, place one at the end of your Exploration Phase on your tile. During your Villain Phase the monster or villain you control with the highest xp takes an extra action.

Max Level
*+4AC *+8HP *+4 Surge *+3 Speed Cost: 25xp (with d20)/50xp
-You now heal 2HP at the beginning of your Hero Phase (Replaces the Lvl 5 1HP heal). When you heal in this way you cannot receive HP from another source this turn.
-At the beginning of each Hero Phase you may now turn 1 daily or utility power face up.
-You now deal +1 damage on a roll of 16-20.

Monster Mod: Use level 4 AND level 5 monster mods

*The “+” numbers are in relation to level 2, they are not cumulitive.
**Leveling Rules: You may never level up unless every other party member is equal or greater level than you. You must spend the higher XP value to level up unless your character rolls a natural 20 or unless your party has just defeated a villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boyd
United States
Story City
Iowa
flag msg tools
I've played and tested this, and so far it seems pretty balanced and fun. I want to know your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about the monster side of the balance scales for higher level heroes as well and you have some good ideas going here.

My own preference would be for a more standard/consistent manner of adjusting the monster challenge.

Regards to the "leveling rule", in my own tests I just say that the "monster balance mechanism" is based on the highest level hero in play. This automatically forces the players to protect the lower level heroes and also to give them priority in leveling up.

Also, imo, no need to increase the hero speed. Flipping powers and extra attacks appear too powerful as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boyd
United States
Story City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Flipping powers and the extra attack balance out the fact that there will always be at least 1 more monster and at that point the highest level monster you control will take two actions during your turn; however, I'm going to be doing more play testing to determine the right balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I use a 10-level system for the adventurers.
The monsters are not changed at all.
There is no extra effect on the "dungeon" system due to the different adventurers' levels.
By using a Team Difficulty Factor and the Monster Basic Number system, all the parameters driving the "dungeon" system are automatically adapted to the adventurer team capabilities.
This keeps playing the game as simple as it is.

Examples:
A low level adventurer team has a much lower chance to trigger encounters than a high level team.
The number and types of monsters that are to appear due to exploration is automatically biased and filtered by the team's quality.
The Black Case and the Dungeon Counters keep the adventurers under pressure as inactivity or slow progress will make the dungeon's inhabitants less cautious and more and more aggressive.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boyd
United States
Story City
Iowa
flag msg tools
After some playtesting I modified the system a little bit, primarily changing a few of the monster mods to simplify them and also reducing the healing ability of level 5 and max level heals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.