United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Always looking to play ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I looked at Antti Autio's Eclipse project and the recent Reaper Miniatures Kickstarter project. It got me thinking whether I should get into miniatures for my board games? It would not only be to add something to the games (or possibly distract from the games), but rather a project of patience and a need to scratch an itch I haven't scratched since making fighter jet models with my Dad many moons ago.

I can probably devote a few hours a week to it, as well as dedicate some space to properly work on the projects. My problem is I have no idea where to start! I've scanned through some of the forums and see mention of various painting methods and various miniature manufacturers, as well as conversations on metal vs. plastic models. It is overwhelming, and I'm looking for something slightly better than the "Idiot's Guide to Miniatures."

I am interested in fantasy figurines, and I would prefer not to invest too much into equipment although I have a budget to spend (I have never used an airbrush, but would be interested in learning to do that).

Does anyone have a resource to point me to (on BGG or dare-I-say beyond our borders), a reputable miniatures company to look at, etc.? If I can't find something on the Geek, I have a local hobby shop and will resort to their (perhaps biased) feedback.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll find all the information you need to know, and a whole lot more besides, over on CoolMiniOrNot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
geebee2 wrote:
(I have never used an airbrush, but would be interested in learning to do that).

Airbrushing is not used much in fantasy figure painting.

It happens more in large vehicles and scifi stuff like mechs and spaceships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
geebee2 wrote:
Hi All,

I looked at Antti Autio's Eclipse project and the recent Reaper Miniatures Kickstarter project. It got me thinking whether I should get into miniatures for my board games? It would not only be to add something to the games (or possibly distract from the games), but rather a project of patience and a need to scratch an itch I haven't scratched since making fighter jet models with my Dad many moons ago.

I can probably devote a few hours a week to it, as well as dedicate some space to properly work on the projects. My problem is I have no idea where to start! I've scanned through some of the forums and see mention of various painting methods and various miniature manufacturers, as well as conversations on metal vs. plastic models. It is overwhelming, and I'm looking for something slightly better than the "Idiot's Guide to Miniatures."

I am interested in fantasy figurines, and I would prefer not to invest too much into equipment although I have a budget to spend (I have never used an airbrush, but would be interested in learning to do that).

Does anyone have a resource to point me to (on BGG or dare-I-say beyond our borders), a reputable miniatures company to look at, etc.? If I can't find something on the Geek, I have a local hobby shop and will resort to their (perhaps biased) feedback.

Thanks all!

Let me just say, RUN! RUN SCREAMING! You can spend a lot of time and money on this hobby.

If you are still here, then good luck. The reaper kickstarter is a great deal that any miniature lover can confirm and it is just getting better with each stretch goal. Move over OGRE kickstarter, there's a new kid in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F. Kreutz
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
geebee2 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks all!

First of all, to give you a ballpark idea of the investments, here's a guide for the people wanting to get into painting their Sedition Wars board game miniatures.

Although it's a little outdated and messy (sigh, it used to be THE place to go for mini tutorials soblue ), I would certainly recommend taking a look at the coolminiornot articles. There are a few concepts in miniature painting that need to be understood to get a good result that you'll find there.*

I guess it all depends on how far you want to take this (and yeah, you can get sucked in pretty quickly so watch out). Some people are overjoyed by having just some base colours on their minis, others aren't going to ever be satisfied, no matter the smoothness of blending colours etc. The thing I can say though, is that patience here really pays off. Paint a lot and you will notice improvement quite quickly.

*If you want to see what really can be done with some talent and hours upon hours of practice look at automaton's (aka Sebastian Archer) arcticles ie. here and here. I feel like he also condenses the concepts of (miniature) painting in a very clear manner. It might look a little daunting but once you'll deconstruct all the steps it really makes sense. Good luck on your quest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Byala
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Always looking to play ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, Paul, Jason, and Illuminari,

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll check out coolminiornot, and I've already started reading automaton's article - it's amazing!

It sounds like I was thinking of going in at the shallow end of the artform that is miniatures. However, it looks so intriguing! I especially like the shopping list to get you started article. This definitely requires more research before I jump into it, but thanks for the prods in the right direction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.