Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a post on the Design Forum about this, but I thought I would put something up here too. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have!
EDIT: With the exception of "That's not Steampunk!" I thought it was pretty obvious this was only a first prototype. You can rest easy that the final art will be more thematic.

This is my prototype board:

Some sample cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
How is any of this "steampunk"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anais A
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look good. My 2 cents: The first things I thought of since it is steam punk, could you add more of a gritty texture to the cards and board. All the color spaces are solid colors. Another things is that the board and cards look fairly different. Maybe add some similar elements (like fonts, colors or icons) that would 'connect' the designs more. Also the character drawings are nicely shaded. What about some shading on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
How is any of this "steampunk"?

The Design Forum Post has a link to the rulebook, which might help explain that, but rest assured that the game has:

A: Bands of mercenary engineers
B: Steam trains with high-tech upgrades
C: An in-game collapsing dystopia

Not to lean on backstory to defend my game's right to the "Steampunk" title, but it also takes place in an alternate history where the war of 1812 ended with severe gas bombings, forcing civilization underground.

moretap wrote:
They look good. My 2 cents: The first things I thought of since it is steam punk, could you add more of a gritty texture to the cards and board. All the color spaces are solid colors. Another things is that the board and cards look fairly different. Maybe add some similar elements (like fonts, colors or icons) that would 'connect' the designs more. Also the character drawings are nicely shaded. What about some shading on the board?

And yeah, visually it's not there yet, the board is purely functional right now, It's the first prototype that I'm printing out (The others were drawn on poster board with sharpie and yellow post-its) I don't want to put final art on top of it if the structure I have here doesn't work out. The same deal with the cards, rest assured, everything will be more coherent in the final version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how this is Steampunk at all either. I mean the cards look good but are toonish and all but they sure don't make me think of a Steampunk anything. The board is very basic and needs some work obviously and would need some theme added to it. Right now it's base prototype looking. Do a Google image search for Steampunk and you'll get a good idea of what you're needing here. Lots of gears, gizmos, copper/brass, large ocular lenses and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
I don't see how this is Steampunk at all either. I mean the cards look good but are toonish and all but they sure don't make me think of a Steampunk anything. The board is very basic and needs some work obviously and would need some theme added to it. Right now it's base prototype looking. Do a Google image search for Steampunk and you'll get a good idea of what you're needing here. Lots of gears, gizmos, copper/brass, large ocular lenses and such.

Yes, I should have mentioned that this wasn't final art. I was more showing off the information layout, which I'm rather fond of. It's base prototype looking because it's a base prototype...

I'll get around to putting some gears on it after I run a couple more playtests, to make sure I like the layout Thanks for the sufggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin,

I haven't read over the draft rules yet, so I won't comment on the board. Two quick comments on the card though:

1. I like the characters, especially the "Puppeteer". Of course, my educational background is in commercial art/animation, so I'm partial to cartoons and a bit biased.

2. I would rework the cards to keep the layout uniform for each one. Right now your text box at the bottom of each card changes as needed. Instead, I would take the card with the most text and design your layout around that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.