Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Trent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading though the tournament rules for ANR and had a couple of questions. Firstly does this ruleset either explicitly allow or prohibit intentional draws? What about concessions of game?

If it does allow IDs (intentional draws) how many prestige points does this earn each player?

If it prohibits IDs but allows concessions this means that two players could agree to 'trade wins.' IE Player A concedes game one and player B conceeds game 2. In this scenario each will gain 3 prestige in the swiss rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unsportsmanlike Conduct
Players are expected to behave in a mature and considerate
manner, and to play within the rules and not abuse them.
This prohibits maintaining an illegal game state, colluding
with another player, behaving inappropriately, scouting decks,
artificially manufacturing the results of a match, treating an
opponent with a lack of courtesy or respect, etc. The TO, at his
or her sole discretion, may remove players from the tournament
for unsportsmanlike conduct.

-=-=-

If a TO sees this they can eject those players from the tournament.

Don't be that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
As a Magic player who regularly IDs into finals of events THANK GOODNESS that IDs won't be rewarded here. Too many awesome tournaments have devolved into ID junk near the end... I mean, it lets everyone go get Steak n' Shake faster but it doesn't really help the fun factor.

Good on you, FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:
I mean, it lets everyone go get Steak n' Shake faster but it doesn't really help the fun factor.

I've never played in a *CG tournament before, but I would imagine if you're serious about it, you should bring health snacks and a large bottle of water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I was implying that IDing into the finals/splitting the prize usually means that everyone splits and leaves. The endurance part is over by that point and it doesn't matter what you eat.

Also, if you're to the point where you can intentionally draw into something you're certainly serious enough about it (as your record must be pretty good).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
wedgeex wrote:
I mean, it lets everyone go get Steak n' Shake faster but it doesn't really help the fun factor.

I've never played in a *CG tournament before, but I would imagine if you're serious about it, you should bring health snacks and a large bottle of water.

If you're really serious about it: Catheter and a Feeding tube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
wedgeex wrote:

Kind of changes the meaning of "jacking in."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real men bring easy-bake ovens and a car battery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
byronczimmer wrote:

If you're *really* serious about it, you'll go for theme and track down a case of this stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

If you're *really* serious about it, you'll go for theme and track down a case of this stuff.

I am so tempted to get a can of that stuff and mod it to act as a counter storage device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Mod it to hold your runner deck, and watch your opponent tremble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
ffaristocrat wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I don't believe that style of soda can can accept a deck of 45 playing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
ffaristocrat wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I don't believe that style of soda can can accept a deck of 45 playing cards.

As long as you have a hydraulic press, just bend them in a circle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, no.... then I'd have to buy another core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Um, no.... then I'd have to buy another core set.

...That's what the press is for. To unbend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Trent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Unsportsmanlike Conduct
This prohibits ...

-=-=-

Don't be that guy.

So in the instance where both players will advance to the elimination rounds reguardless of who wins, you would require that they play the game out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cetiken wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Unsportsmanlike Conduct
This prohibits ...

-=-=-

Don't be that guy.

So in the instance where both players will advance to the elimination rounds reguardless of who wins, you would require that they play the game out?

In the rare case that happens, it would most likely be played out because the order of the elimination matches would depend on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cetiken wrote:

...yup. Because playing the game is more enjoyable than pretending to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cetiken wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Unsportsmanlike Conduct
This prohibits maintaining an illegal game state, colluding
with another player
, behaving inappropriately, scouting decks,

-=-=-

Don't be that guy.

So first, those are the official tournament rules, not mine.

Later they have an abort clause for a single elimination tournament, where if the results of the match can be decided before the second game ends, that it can be called then.

Example: If you won the first game and your opponent scored 3 Agenda, then you only need to score 4 Agenda to advance in a single elimination tournament.

However, most of the time Netrunner seems to be played in a swiss style tournament, and in those cases, the strength of schedule is one of the tie breakers.

So yes, play out the match even if both of you 'will advance to the next round' because it will affect your and other players rankings for tie breaker purposes.

I also fixed the quote and bolded a second part, that about colluding with another player, since it would also be unsportsmanlike to throw a game so your buddy gets a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
cetiken wrote:

In the rare case that happens, it would most likely be played out because the order of the elimination matches would depend on it.

Having played in several Game of Thrones tournaments, I can attest that it's really not that rare. If you're cutting to the top 16 players after 5 rounds of Swiss, then usually EVERYONE with 4 wins advances. So when the two 4-0 players are playing each other, the outcome of the match doesn't matter for elimination purposes, but it DOES matter for seeding in the finals: The winner will be the 1 seed and play the 16 seed. The loser will probably be in the 2-4 seed range, and play a stronger opponent in their first elimination round.

It matters a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
cetiken wrote:

Having played in several Game of Thrones tournaments, I can attest that it's really not that rare. If you're cutting to the top 16 players after 5 rounds of Swiss, then usually EVERYONE with 4 wins advances.

This depends on the size of the field. Swiss tournaments have the same results as double/triple/quadruple elimination tournaments for as long as the field size is 2^nt, where 'n' is the number of eliminations it takes to get you out and your field is smaller than 2^n.

It's only if your field is bigger than 2^n that some of these other finer points come into play.

Quote:
So when the two 4-0 players are playing each other, the outcome of the match doesn't matter for elimination purposes, but it DOES matter for seeding in the finals: The winner will be the 1 seed and play the 16 seed. The loser will probably be in the 2-4 seed range, and play a stronger opponent in their first elimination round.

It matters a lot.

100% agree...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems linked to certain recent events in the international sporting arena...

I'm just sayin...ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Trent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're saying that I can't concede a game? That is kind of lame. Say I have an unusual combo and don't want it to be apparent to everyone around me (because scouting WILL happen despite it also being prohibited - enforcing that is practically impossible).

I would much rather loose a game and be seeded in the 'bottom' slot than reveal to a future opponent in the elimination rounds what my deck does.

I think that the rules need to be adjusted to reflect this fact. If I play the game I revel information to my opponent in the later rounds (and normally since the top tables are seated next to each other 2-4 other players). If I'm playing to win the smart thing is to head to the snack bar and get some fruit juice to keep my mind fresh for the next 65 minuets. Thats assuming I'm not going to wander around the play area and not scout my competition.

Another option available would be to play poorly and not reveal the way my deck ticks so that I could take the opponent by surprise when it matters. That personally seems even less sporting than sharing a drink and talking about previous matchs with my 'opponent'.

Also: Relevant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that conceding is allowed under the tournament rules, although admittedly not explicitly. I am not certain, but it would probably be scored as though the Corp was decked or the Runner was flatlined, although I am not certain, i.e., 10 match points and 2 prestige to the winner, [agenda] match points and no prestige to the conceder.

Were I the TO, that's how I'd do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't participated in a tournament like this before, but if someone is watching my game that is a fellow competitor, I will refuse to continue until a TO makes them leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.