Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on hosting a game night soon. One of the games my friends like is Set. I like it too, but didn't feel that it's a very good group game, so I devised three variants that I thought would spice up play.

The first variant has player holding hands of cards that are hidden from the other players, adding aspects of hand management and shedding.
The second is all about shedding with lots of player interaction.
The third adds another dimension to the set itself.

I hope they enjoy them and I hope you enjoy them as well! If anyone tries these variants, let me know how they work for you.

Hand-in-Glove Set
Deal five (5) cards face down to each player. Place the remaining cards face down on the table. Place nine (9) cards face up on the table in a 3 x 3 grid. Players now make sets using the cards in their hand as well as those on the table. You must use at least one card from the table, but you do not have to use any cards from your hand. You may hold as many cards in your hand as you like and you are not required to draw cards. Replace cards on the table as they are removed.

Scoring: When the deck is exhausted, separate your captured sets and the remaining cards in your hand.
Each card from a captured set: 1 point
Each card remaining in your hand at the end of the game: -2 points
The player with the highest score is the winner.

Golf Set
Play with 4 players. Deal three (3) cards face down to each player. Place nine (9) cards face up on the table in a 3 x 3 grid. Place the remaining cards face down on the table. Players now make sets using the cards in their hand as well as those on the table. You can use any combination you like: three cards on the table; three in your hand; 2 from the table and 1 from your hand or 1 from the table and 2 from your hand. When you capture a set, pass out one card to each other player.

Game end: The game is over when one of two things happens.
1. Someone gets rid of every card in their hand.
2. If the main deck is exhausted and nobody has run out of cards, play stops immediately and the person with the fewest cards is the winner.

5D Set
Lay out the cards in four (4) rows of six (6) cards each.
When making a set, players must use one card each from three different rows or three cards from the same row to make a set. Scoring is done as outlined in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Cute ideas. We often play Set when waiting for our food at a restuurant. Golf in partiuclar sounds fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
We often play Set when waiting for our food at a restaurant.

One of the great things about Set is it takes so little time to set up and you can stop playing at any time.

Dave wrote:
Golf in particular sounds fun.

Thanks Dave. I'm particularly happy with the Golf rules. They add a degree of interaction that I think is missing in the original game. Give it a try next time you're at a restaurant and let me know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Cute ideas. We often play Set when waiting for our food at a restuurant. Golf in partiuclar sounds fun.

Just checking back in to see if you've tried any of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.