Recommend
28 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: How to take a break from buying new wargames... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmb
It's very easy.

Step One: Just give your card details to some unscrupulous vendor or employee who sells the details on for a fee.

Step Two: Go to transfer some money online from one account to another

Step Three: Drop jaw as you look at the evidence of someone living the good life in the US and Canada on your account (they used groupon offers which was very cost conscious of them)

Step Four: Wait to be refunded by (happily) an understanding bank and get new card which means paypal can no longer be used until everything is sorted out

Step Five: Read reviews of games you have decided you really need/want and cry yourself to sleep that you will now have to wait at least 3-5 working days before it arrives and today is a Wednesday soblue



I should say this method isn't recommended for those with heart complaints or of a nervous disposition.
39 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy old ones?

(More sympathetically, this also happened to me - apparently I bought enough diesel to travel to London & back 5 times, all in one day. While I was at work... My bank also refunded it, but later I discovered this was considered a 'favour', and I was only entitled to one...)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very disappointed I thought this was going to be a genuine answer to a genuine problem. As it stands I'd rank it right around "stick a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger."

I did dodge the other day, buying a new game, by having a guy contact me about making a trade.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Step Three: Drop jaw as you look at the evidence of someone living the good life in the US and Canada on your account (they used groupon offers which was very cost conscious of them)


I had a great time. I mean, sorry this happened to you Jim.
46 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
I'm very disappointed I thought this was going to be a genuine answer to a genuine problem. As it stands I'd rank it right around "stick a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger."

I did dodge the other day, buying a new game, by having a guy contact me about making a trade.


I don't own a gun but I appreciate the thought
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
I'm very disappointed I thought this was going to be a genuine answer to a genuine problem. As it stands I'd rank it right around "stick a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger."


I know a guy who quit drinking, smoking, and chasing women. All in the same day. It was a lovely funeral.
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
........ an understanding bank .........


Stone the crows! where did you find one of them?

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These days it's getting easier. If you suggest you might move your account there's a chance they'll drop to their knees and beg you to stay...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an FYI, PayPal offers a free key fob (works on e-bay also) that generates a six digit number you have to key in before you login. I hope that helps people in the future from getting ripped off.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another tip, if at all possible, never use debit cards. Banks are not required to refund money, especially before the investigation is complete. With credit cards you're only liable for the first $50 and in the instances I've had, that's even been refunded (it really helps when the basta... chumps mail ordered something and I saw the order before it was delivered)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought this was going to be another thread about pre-ordering Total War.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer! Glad it is apparently getting straightened out OK.

In general pay cash when possible... When I was living in the US many people I knew used credit cards (or debit cards, even less safe as noted upstream) all the time, even e.g. for a $4 meal or something, which always seemed ... odd... to me.

Use unique long strong (ideally random, remembered via a password manager like KeePass) unique passwords for all your online financial accounts and email addresses.

Good luck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:
........ an understanding bank .........


Stone the crows! where did you find one of them?



Building Society. Just wanted to keep the narrative straightforward. I normally use PayPal for all online transactions so I'm wondering if it was a rogue employee somewhere. That's becoming more common now.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Kraft
Germany
Burghausen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last month my bank contacted me as something they deemed suspicious had happened. Apparently someone used my card to rent a DVD for 1.05$ somewhere in North America. But I wasn't in the States since 2010. So I got a new card.

As for breaking the buying spree - just ask your wife prior to every purchase
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Step Three: Drop jaw as you look at the evidence of someone living the good life in the US and Canada on your account (they used groupon offers which was very cost conscious of them)


I had a great time. I mean, sorry this happened to you Jim.


OMG almost shot root beer out my nose reading that.laugh
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Ashiefan wrote:
It's very easy.

Step One: Just give your card details to some unscrupulous vendor or employee who sells the details on for a fee.

Step Two: Go to transfer some money online from one account to another

Step Three: Drop jaw as you look at the evidence of someone living the good life in the US and Canada on your account (they used groupon offers which was very cost conscious of them)

Step Four: Wait to be refunded by (happily) an understanding bank and get new card which means paypal can no longer be used until everything is sorted out

Step Five: Read reviews of games you have decided you really need/want and cry yourself to sleep that you will now have to wait at least 3-5 working days before it arrives and today is a Wednesday soblue



I should say this method isn't recommended for those with heart complaints or of a nervous disposition.



I was more concerned about saving you money mate that is why I bought group ons. I heard interest rates might go up! arrrh...Bummer. Get their address we will pay a visit for you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dean_1230 wrote:
Another tip, if at all possible, never use debit cards. Banks are not required to refund money, especially before the investigation is complete. With credit cards you're only liable for the first $50 and in the instances I've had, that's even been refunded (it really helps when the basta... chumps mail ordered something and I saw the order before it was delivered)


I got a credit card that I use only for internet purchases. Helps mitigate the damage to my finances if the account gets used illegally.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
dean_1230 wrote:
Another tip, if at all possible, never use debit cards. Banks are not required to refund money, especially before the investigation is complete. With credit cards you're only liable for the first $50 and in the instances I've had, that's even been refunded (it really helps when the basta... chumps mail ordered something and I saw the order before it was delivered)


I got a credit card that I use only for internet purchases. Helps mitigate the damage to my finances if the account gets used illegally.


That's what my girlfriend said and she's very money savvy. I'd let her handle my finances if it didn't mean having to get permission in triplicate for all my game purchases.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Manimal wrote:
Last month my bank contacted me as something they deemed suspicious had happened. Apparently someone used my card to rent a DVD for 1.05$ somewhere in North America. But I wasn't in the States since 2010. So I got a new card.

As for breaking the buying spree - just ask your wife prior to every purchase


Here are my tips:

1) I usually review my list of the games that I already own and then total the amount of time (in years) that it will take to get all of the unplayed/underplayed games in each category (war, Euro, etc.) to the table.

This process often makes me realize that I already have a ton of similar games that I haven't fully explored. Plus, when I'm in a "buy new stuff" mood, it makes me look at my old, unplayed games as though they were new again.

It's not fullproof, but it certainly helps with the game lust.

2) Before I buy any game, I always look for reasons not to buy it. I read the lowest rated comments and the most negative reviews.

3) I plug my whole order into Cool Stuff Inc. and look at the price. Then, before finalizing the purchase, I do a bracket tournament with the games and always try to cut my order down to half its starting size.

By time I'm done with all of this, I usually save hundreds of dollars per order.

Sadly, I actually do this whole process with most of my orders. shake

(Someone oughtta start Geeks Anonymous. I need to join.)

4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
It's very easy.

Step One: Just give your card details to some unscrupulous vendor or employee who sells the details on for a fee.

Step Two: Go to transfer some money online from one account to another

Step Three: Drop jaw as you look at the evidence of someone living the good life in the US and Canada on your account (they used groupon offers which was very cost conscious of them)

Step Four: Wait to be refunded by (happily) an understanding bank and get new card which means paypal can no longer be used until everything is sorted out

Step Five: Read reviews of games you have decided you really need/want and cry yourself to sleep that you will now have to wait at least 3-5 working days before it arrives and today is a Wednesday soblue

I should say this method isn't recommended for those with heart complaints or of a nervous disposition.



That sucks. Glad you got your money back.

That being said, I think your idea about how people can resist the urge to keep buying more and more is excellent.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
I got a credit card that I use only for internet purchases. Helps mitigate the damage to my finances if the account gets used illegally.

OK, I admit ignorance: if that credit card gets hijacked, how does the fact that you use it only for internet purchases help to mitigate possible damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the credit limit really really low.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
but later I discovered this was considered a 'favour', and I was only entitled to one...)


I believe the card issuers are legally liable, hence they tend to allow "cardholder not present" deliveries only to the card's address, which seems an obvious safeguard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
I believe the card issuers are legally liable, hence they tend to allow "cardholder not present" deliveries only to the card's address, which seems an obvious safeguard.
In my case it was diesel. I didn't want it delivered...

It was an automated pump too, I put the card in, I keyed in the number, no-one else was around, and I am always alert to any funny stuff stuck on the reader. So I'd guess the number was lifted from the computer somehow. It's even possible it was a fault, and the next 'x' people at that pump used my card...

Had I realised all this at the time, I'd have complained to ASDA first...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are going about this wrong. If you buy tons and tons of games and max out all your credit cards and deplete your accounts then it won't matter of they become compromised. Laugh is on the criminal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.