Subject: Diplomatic Confusion! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am trying to understand the v. 2 rules at 7.2.3. The statement there that French diplomacy (cards) have no effect on countries "occupied by coalition forces" really throws me. I realize that the reference is to occupied capitals. But here is the scenario that I can't figure out (be sure of):

Osterreich is a coalition member. It has one corps in Kern-Ost. It has 4 corps in Prussia helping them fight Napoleon's "super stack" army. France plays a diplomacy card to convert a coalition member into a neutral country.

1. CAN FRANCE PLAY THAT CARD AGAINST AUSTRIA AND TURN IT INTO A NEUTRAL COUNTRY FORCING THE REMOVAL OF THE AUSTRIA CORPS FROM THE MAP? Or are they prohibited from doing so?

2. IF FRANCE CANNOT DO #1 ABOVE BECAUSE OF THE CORPS IN THE CAPITAL AREA OF AUSTRIA (KERN-OSTERREICH), WOULD THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO IF THERE WERE NO AUSTRIAN CORPS IN KERN-OST?

Thanks for the help, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupied refers to a neutral country.

Example: Russian (coalition) troops in Austrian capital(Austria is a coalition member). Austria->Neutral(in diplomacy phase). Austria is now a neutral country occupied by the coalition.

You could create a diplomatic deadlock pretty easily if every coalition country would be "occupied" if they had their own or even friedly troops present in their capital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Lannes
Germany
Zirndorf
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. That's possible - all Austrian troops will be removed from the map

2. Even with Austrian troops in Kern-Österreich it's possible to turn them neutral

Koalition and French troops have to retreat from Austria. (Special rule)

The occupied neutral status work only if the the major power had war with the occupier first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Merci, Jean. The rules are to vague at 7.2.3. They simply say French diplomacy does not effect "countries occupied by the coalition." That is strictly NOT TRUE. It is only true in cases of major countries conquered, surrendered and now neutral and occupied. Thanks for the clarification.

In sum, major countries that are coalition members are NOT safe from becoming neutral through french-played diplomacy cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In your example, Roadhouse, if the occupying Russian troops move and stop within Austria, they violate neutrality and Austria becomes a French Ally, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The term "occupy" has a very specific meaning in AoN, do not confuse it with the general English meaning. It only refers to a conquered neutral with corps in its capital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Correct, something that I could perhaps have made more obvious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

EXCELLENT. Just what I was looking for! Thank you! As Roadhouse noted, "occupied," taken literally, would easily spell diplomatic lockout and eliminate the political volatility aspect of the game which makes it so fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
GA Jim wrote:

EXCELLENT. Just what I was looking for! Thank you! As Roadhouse noted, "occupied," taken literally, would easily spell diplomatic lockout and eliminate the political volatility aspect of the game which makes it so fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Should I have said diplomatic volatility, Ashiefan?

If it was as easy as leaving a corps in a capital to block diplomacy, it would hurt the game significantly, I think. That's what I meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
The term "occupy" has a very specific meaning in AoN, do not confuse it with the general English meaning. It only refers to a conquered neutral with corps in its capital.

Example:

Austria is a coalition member. French troops march into Austrian capital, unable to conquer it because there are still so many Austrian troops in the coutry(the number of enemy corps occupying its areas is greater
than the number of friendly corps (including allies)
remaining in any of its areas, or it has no home corps left
in any of its areas.)

Diplomacy phase: The French player turns Austria into neutral country. French troops stay still in the capital. No "conquer" has happened. If I understand what you mean, in this case the Austria wouldn't be an occupied neutral since it wasn't forced to surrender by military conquest.

If this the case, there should have markers for occupied neutral countries. Something is always forgotten during the game and memeonic marker would have been nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
GA Jim wrote:

Should I have said diplomatic volatility, Ashiefan?

If it was as easy as leaving a corps in a capital to block diplomacy, it would hurt the game significantly, I think. That's what I meant.

Just wondering what you are up to, especially as I have a Russian Corp in my Austrian capital. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhhh. Didn't think you were trolling for intelligence on Le 'Empereur's plans.

I'm still trying to learn the game and asking questions as I re-read the rule book. It's gelled in my mind a lot but a few more plays are needed for me to feel totally comfortable with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mnemonics....

If the (major) country has a neutral flag and it has a French corps on its capital, it is occupied alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
Mnemonics....

If the (major) country has a neutral flag and it has a French corps on its capital, it is occupied alright.

So, as the rules go now, this one should correct, as I mentioned before:

Example: Russian (coalition) troops in Austrian capital(Austria is a coalition member). Austria->Neutral(in diplomacy phase). Austria is now a neutral country occupied by the coalition.

Is this correct or not? and why? and which point of the rules it says so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.