Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bergeron
United States
Sulphur
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Netrunner, on and off, since it's debut and I'm really excited about A:N. Identity cards, factions, influence restrictions in deck building certainly creates new stitching in the fabric of this fine game.
Looking through the cards that FFG has revealed to us, I see no detection programs for the runner. In the original game, there are three that come to mind: Mouse, SeeYa, and Eyeball.
Mouse: Action/Click- expose a card inside a data fort (Server)
SeeYa: Action/Click; 1 Bit (Credit)- expose an installed card
Eyeball: Use only during a run. Reveal a piece of ice runner is approaching and runner may jack out before Corp decides to rez that piece of ice.
Taking into account the new, very exciting twists of A:N, do you think any of these cards will show up?
Do you think these detection programs would hurt the game or possibly be even broken if included?
Please comment, I'm really interested in your feedback.
(Personally, I never liked these cards. I thought they were way too powerful, but boy, I sure played them when I was the runner!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I don't think they'll be reprinted as permanents, but according to the rulebook there will be cards that reveal other cards. But if they want to improve the bluffing aspect it's almost necessary to keep these as single use in my opinion. More than likely 1 shot events...

Given what we've seen the criminal faction seems the most likely, perhaps an event to the effect of

2 Cost
Make a run, each time you would encounter a piece of ICE reveal it, you may choose to jack out before encountering that ICE.

Just a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Well, the rulebook defined the term "expose" and how it works, so I think that's a good indicator that there's probably at least one card in the base set that exposes things.

I feel like exposing cards is necessary to provide any possible counter to Ambush nodes; we've already seen a program-trashing Ambush, which seems like it would be really strong if it lands mid/end-game (losing your breakers is going to set you back several turns, at least, right?) If there wasn't anything in the game to expose cards, what is the runner supposed to do to avoid walking into traps? Analyze the opponent's body language?

That said, I never really liked running expose-cards in the original Netrunner, being almost dead cards if your opponent WASN'T playing ambushes (much like base links and tag/meat damage prevention)...

I'm confused how you'd end up thinking they were too strong. Were your Corp decks all trap-centric or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules, pg 22
Rules wrote:

Expose
Some effects expose one or more cards. Generally, only
unrezzed installed cards can be exposed, unless an ability
specifies otherwise. An exposed card is revealed to all players,
and then returned to its previous state. If multiple cards are
exposed by one effect, they are considered to be exposed
simultaneously.

They're in the core set, they just haven't been spoiled yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good riddance. I've got a couple sets of pseudo-starters (re-assembled semi-randomly from me old collection), and one of the runner decks has See Ya. Completely ruins the game when it comes out, taking away the sense of risk from the runner and the bluffing of the corp. Feh.

An effect like this could work as a one-shot, but as a repeatable effect on a permanent? No thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
I never felt Mouse or SeeYa all too strong; They take up 1 MU each, they are programs not hardware. SeeYa is indeed a bit stronger, but also more expensive to install and use.

But true, both change the flow of the game, once the runner installs them. And that's exactly what makes this a great game.

BTW, linking directly to the original NR cards is simple and useful, everybody knows exactly what we are talking about: just use this link and exchange "seeya" by whatever card you are referring to: http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/seeya/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Exposure is a little weaker in Android because the cards don't stay revealed. The Runner gets a look and then they go back facedown.

Mouse and SeeYa are expensive. A click to install and then another click to expose a single card? It slows you down and slow, cautious Runners lose games.

Smarteye is better since it at least doesn't need an action to use. But it's still cautious play.

As others have said, these didn't get used in competitive play. The best Runners were the reckless Runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyder Murphy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I remember back when everyone was new and learning the game, that all the Runners use to use the "snoop" programs and never made a risky run. Very rarely would they run in the first 2-3 turns if there was ICE on the fort, nearly always had to get their full suite of breakers out first.

Back then I remember the Corp holding a significant win percentage over the Runners, until a couple of us got a bit more ballsy by running out the gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the Criminal faction to have the cards that perform this function - they have a LOT of events available to them in their deck distribution.

Also, remember, snooping takes time and if the difference between stealing 3 points and not is a single credit, did you really need to be snooping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These were useful cards in Sealed Deck but they got pretty much zero burn in constructed. There were enough overpowered damage prevention cards to present a major deterrent to ever running an ambush deck in constructed. Hence, exposure was not a high priority.

Hopefully, the mistake of overpowered flatline prevention cards is not repeated. Ambushes are one of my favorite parts of the game and they deserve to be viable in constructed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bergeron
United States
Sulphur
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath is correct. Most of my Corp decks were ambush intensive...
I agree with Asmor, one-shot detection effects would be better than permanenet...
Thanks for all who commented or will comment and thanks lee eletrik for the link suggestion.
Pardon my post composition, I'll try to improve...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.