Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a PNP zombie game & wonder if I should go on. It seems most people loves zombie games b/c of the cool minis. My game has lots & variety of zombies, so it's hard to find minis from other games for it.

My question is : would you like to play a zombie game without minis?

Is stand-up cardboard piece a good substitute for minis in a zombie game? (let say : City of Horror)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
I'm working on a PNP zombie game & wonder if I should go on. It seems most people loves zombie games b/c of the cool minis. My game has lots & variety of zombies, so it's hard to find minis from other games for it.

Is stand-up cardboard piece a good substitute for minis in a zombie game? (let say : City of Horror)

Absolutely! Especially if they are in full colour - most mini games have one or two colour minis and that is pretty boring.

If you can set them up to be tri-corner or squares that would be really cool too (so you can see what the piece is from any angle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All Things Zombie has standard cardboard chits for the zombies and they work just fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

No.

Minis are always best. Second best is a nice, thick cardboard chit like those found in a wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:

Very few zombie games have minis. Nice if you have em. Never ever a requirement. NEVER for a PNP game.

Easiest solutions are standard flat stand-ups. Or my personal favorites. Trifold standups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is fun it doesn't matter if they are chits or minis, although my usual answer is to just grab a bag of zombie minis from twilight creations, if you have multiple kinds of zombies in the game I'd probably just paint the bases to tell them apart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one zombie game that had minis, and I thought it sucked. I've also played purely card-based zombie games, zombie games that used counters on a hex map, and even some dice-based zombie games. Frankly, I don't care how the zombies are represented, as long as the game is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply.

I think the answer depends on what kind of zombie game we play. If it's pure card game, of coz no minis required. If it's a wargame with chits & hex map (aka All Zombie Thing) , I think most wargamers can accept it as it's the way they are playing.

But how about Last Night on Earth without minis? That is the most popular zombie game on BGG. Will people enjoy a game like LNOE but without minis?

Recently I saw a very successful Kickstarter game "Zombicide". There are 71 very cool minis in the basic set, not to mention the extra promo minis for backers. I start to think : if there are no minis, will the game get as many supports as it did? I doubt it.zombie

Perhap after City of Horror & Zombicide are both released, we can see the difference in sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Ultracheng wrote:

Bah!! How disappointing! I though this was a thread about a zombie game that wasn't a miniatures games. That would be innovative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Ultracheng wrote:

Very few zombie games have minis. Nice if you have em. Never ever a requirement. NEVER for a PNP game.

Easiest solutions are standard flat stand-ups. Or my personal favorites. Trifold standups.

+1.

If you do a PnP they are absolutely not required!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advices. I finally decide to move on.

Here are some standing tokens I made. I know they are no match for minis but wish people will like them.

Hordes of zombies:

Other villains:

Survivors:

Survivors & rescue team:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokens on one of the boards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.