baron vendredi
Canada
flag msg tools
Unlike Diplomacy, which is bland enough that you could re-theme it as anything, Game of Thrones is just wedded enough to the theme to make changes difficult.

That being said, with rumours of the Dance with Dragons alternate setup floating around as a potential expansion pack, I'm curious to see if anyone has experimented with variant maps either based purely on gameplay, a new theme, or on events from the books? Brainstorming or proposals for different variant setups is also welcome in this thread.

There's of course the Storm of Swords, the Lannisters in King's Landing idea, and of course the 9-player Feast for Crows variant, but any other ideas for variant setups?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Nilsson
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never tried it, but I've been toying with the idea of letting each house choose where it wants to start. The choosing would be kind of like Settlers - Everyone chooses the house they want to be in turn order, the the order is reversed when choosing the starting position. If Lannister chooses Stark starting position, they set up their armies like Stark would, Winterfell is their capital and the supply/castle track is like Starks. From there the game would progress as normal.

Not very thematic but could change enough to make the game flow severely different from the ordinary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baron vendredi
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
Not very thematic but could change enough to make the game flow severely different from the ordinary.

Definitely the whole Pyke-Lannisport axis is definitely much less of a solved situation if that's the case. The turn order and cards of the factions that end up in those spots could really change the dynamic.

How would you handle starting units? Does Greyjoy and Baratheon always deploy 2 ships, or is that benefit reserved for those who pick the Pyke/Dragonstone locations?

-------------------

Another thematic start I've thought of is the situation in Book 2. Spoilers ahead, of course.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Namely, this scenario is the immediate run-up to the Battle of King's Landing in Clash of Kings, maybe right after Renly is assassinated by Melisandre and the Tyrell-Baratheon alliance disintegrates.

-Tyrell: starts with a Knight/Footman in the Reach as well as a Footman in Highgarden. A ship in Redwyne as usual.
-Baratheon is almost next door with a Knight/Footman in Storm's End. Maybe a Footman on Dragonstone also. Both ships in Shipbreaker Bay as usual.
-Lannister is spread between Harrenhal with a Knight/Footman, Lannisport with two Footmen, King's Landing with two Footmen (greater starting forces to make up for their precarious position). No ships!
-Greyjoy has only a footman on Pyke, but they also have another footman on Winterfell (!) and maybe a Knight in Greywater Watch (or possibly Flint's Finger/Stony Shore?). One ship in Bay of Ice, another ship in Ironman's Bay.
-Stark starts with a Footman in Moat Cailin and a Footman/Knight combo in Riverrun, and possibly a Footman in White Harbour. Riverrun gets the garrison in place of Winterfell. No ships!
-Martell's position remains unchanged. Their default start is solid enough and they're in a very interesting position anyway with Tyrell and Baratheon clustered nearby. Alternately, remove Martell and use the 5-player map.

This might make a more comprehensive "what-if" scenario at the key moment of the War of the Five Kings.
Will the Tyrells and Baratheons still be willing to team up to take King's Landing? Will Robb Stark go back to retake Winterfell or pressure the Lannisters(as he does in the book)? Does Greyjoy try to hold on to a Winterfell taken via treachery? Can Tywin make it from Harrenhal in time to save King's Landing, or will he let the city be sacked to fight the wolves?

It's not meant to be as balanced a scenario, but any thoughts on balance would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You reveal a lot in there about events from Book/Season 2. You should really use the spoilers tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baron vendredi
Canada
flag msg tools
miesdeldolor9 wrote:
You reveal a lot in there about events from Book/Season 2. You should really use the spoilers tag.

My bad, edited with appropriate tags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kokken Tor
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great ideas, baron!

Kind of something in between the 2nd Edition and the Dance with Dragons expansion setup. I think the latter looks very promising, hope I can get my hands on it. It's good with a shorter game, and everyone can start with more forces etc.

Now that my friends have seen the second series, a scenario like this won't spoil anything, like the Dance with Dragons will. Also it's a nice opportunity to make a balanced 5-player setup; War of the Five Kings. Have you considered modifying some cards, and the Influence tracks?

How is this done in the 1st Edition, Clash of Kings? Is it the same setup as 2nd Edition, or more asymetric?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Ed. COK is the same board set-up, except it's the first time Martell was introduced to the game. They added a board overlay that created new territories in Dorne to support a 6th faction. They also added new elements like Ports, and house cards ranging up to strength 5. But the starting positions were un-changed--it wasn't designed to be a unique scenario like Dance with Dragons. (And most of COK's elements were folded into the 2nd Ed, like the new Dornish territories, the 6th faction, and Ports.) Storm of Swords was a new scenario, though, with a whole new map, and unique game elements to simulate certain events and settings of the books.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
e.g. The players all get 2 leaders, but Ned starts in Lannister's prison and Stark starts with support from House Frey. The fighting centers on the Riverlands, and the intense storms of ASOS gain a new game mechanic that replaces the Wildling threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.