Popular Tags: [View All]
Laurent Lecomte
France
Reims
Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I would like to know if someone ever try a two players game. I only played with 3 and i wonder is the game is still fun in face to face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, according to most BGG voters, this game is actually BEST with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not best IMO, but very playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what kind of mood I'm in, it'll be between 2p and 3p. 2p games for more control, 3p games for where u want an extra opponent to deal with that can really spice things up.

4p... probably only the team game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it! The majority of our plays are 2p. My wife's new favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not play it with more than 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:

Agreed.

It really is best with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm maybe I'll have to give the game a second chance then, I have been exceedingly underwhelmed with the game but its always been more than two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Morgan
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others that two is really where this game excels, and in fact this is my wife and my favorite 2-player game. In 2-player there is still a certain level of control, whereas with more than two there is much more unpredictability and greater swings.

aaarg_ink wrote:
hmm maybe I'll have to give the game a second chance then, I have been exceedingly underwhelmed with the game but its always been more than two.

I have found that with this game, the more I play, the more I like it. Familiarity with the cards really helps! I know there as several cards that when I draw them, I am immediately excited as they are among my favorite, and I then begin thinking about other cards I hope to be able to obtain because they work so well together.

Don't give up on this game yet!

~Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:

I agree. Taught the game to a couple of folks last night. It was a table of 4. I almost just didn't play. I probably shouldn't have played. In fact, I told them earnestly and up front that it wasn't good with four, but they wanted to play anyway.

To my sensibilities, the game appears balanced primarily for 2 players, as some cards become extremely strong with more players, like Monotheism, which is the card I used to score about 30 points in short order to win the game, and the other folks were left wondering what people seen in this game.

With two, there's enough opportunity to build up a tableau while an streaking opponent scores and achieves. The issue with higher player counts stems from two main issues: 1) fewer achievements are needed to win, so one good scoring streak can get you the win, and 2) with more players, it's much more likely that an I Demand dogma results in a good scoring streak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game works best with 2, well with 4 player teams, decently with 3, and horridly with 4 player FFA. One of my gaming buddies hates this game after having been burned by the chaos of 4 player FFA, which is a shame as it's a bad way to play.

Now why they decided to make the expansion go up to 5 I have no idea, other than to for marketing purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game feels far more strategic when played with 2 players. It's almost like a different game altogether.

It is, by far, my favorite 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
To my sensibilities, the game appears balanced primarily for 2 players, as some cards become extremely strong with more players, like Monotheism, which is the card I used to score about 30 points in short order to win the game, and the other folks were left wondering what people seen in this game.

With two, there's enough opportunity to build up a tableau while an streaking opponent scores and achieves. The issue with higher player counts stems from two main issues: 1) fewer achievements are needed to win, so one good scoring streak can get you the win, and 2) with more players, it's much more likely that an I Demand dogma results in a good scoring streak.

The 4-player team game mitigates all of this, and is the only way I play other than with 2. It's also a good way to balance experience levels at the game - put the newbie with the most experienced player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
[q="out4blood"]The 4-player team game mitigates all of this, and is the only way I play other than with 2. It's also a good way to balance experience levels at the game - put the newbie with the most experienced player.

Local Houston gamers who I respect quite a bit swear 2P or 4P-team is the only way to go. And I have to say even my 4p-team game was underwhelming because I still felt like a spectator for most of the game, but i can see how a 2P game would work quite nicely because I'd always be in on the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
out4blood wrote:

The 4-player team game mitigates all of this, and is the only way I play other than with 2. It's also a good way to balance experience levels at the game - put the newbie with the most experienced player.

+1 to this. I don't mind giving strategic advice to a newbie opponent, but it's certainly more self-serving to advise your newbie partner.

I've found a great team strategy is to have 1 player responsible for attacking the opponents and the other responsible for scoring/advancement. Doesn't always work out that way with the card draws, but it's a great way to get both partners involved and has lead to me winning with a newbie partner being crucial to our victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Martin. This game is downright POOR with 3 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I could play the team version because it's essentially 2 player (with each player having two heads), except that there are so many better 4 player games, it isn't even funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
I could play the team version because it's essentially 2 player (with each player having two heads), except that there are so many better 4 player games, it isn't even funny.

What about 4 player team games? I agree that there are tons of better 4 player FFA games (that are likely preferable to Team Innovation), but if I'm in the mood for a team game do you have recommendations? The only ones off the top of my head are Tichu and Summoner Wars, the latter also being a primarily 2P game with a team option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3p is getting a bit of a bad rap here - there are a lot of interesting interactions to be had when you can be between the other two players in a particular symbol - but agree that 2p is good and 4p is rubbish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ley Brown
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that 3 player is still a very good game, but it does have less control, obviously, than a 2 player game. Part of the attraction of Innovation is the changing game state and managing and responding to it. Playing 3 player moves you through the deck faster and lets you see the ways some cards can shine that are not as evident in a two player game. A lot of decisions will be concerned with playing cards where you are the in-between player so different type choices from two-player game without the obvious chaos of the four player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's best as a two-player game. 4-player game is madness. 3-player game is pushing the limits. I'll have to try it at least once more to see if it's worth it, at least with newbies the pace is quite slow near the end and the game takes maybe a bit too long for what it is(a step closer to chaos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best with 2. You'll see that I have more games logged for Innovation than anything else I own and 98% of those games have been two-player.

4 player team is next best. It offers something a little different if you actually play as PARTNERS as you should.

3 and 4 player add more chaos than I really care for, but I could be talked into 3 player. I could NOT be talked into 4 player without teams. As Tim said, there are just too many other good games out there for that player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Best with 2. You'll see that I have more games logged for Innovation than anything else I own and 98% of those games have been two-player.

4 player team is next best. It offers something a little different if you actually play as PARTNERS as you should.

3 and 4 player add more chaos than I really care for, but I could be talked into 3 player. I could NOT be talked into 4 player without teams. As Tim said, there are just too many other good games out there for that player count.

Yeah, this about sums up my feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burzum51 wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if someone ever try a two players game. I only played with 3 and i wonder is the game is still fun in face to face.

2 players definitely allow more strategy as there is less random events happening between each of your turns and you can META game better.
With more than 3, you really don't control much and need to adjust your strategy constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
bkunes wrote:
Go for it! The majority of our plays are 2p. My wife's new favorite game.

I second this, to the letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.