Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we went to the board game store she like the looks of Takenoko but me not so much,but im willing to give it a shot and so far the reviews look good. But I been digging around and found this game called Fearsome Floors that also looked fun and might go over better with everyone,and also got decent reviews.
I guess you cant really judge a game before you play it,but Im assuming Takenoko might be good,but I can't see it being played very often? Where Fearsome Floors might see the table more often,Like I said I could be completely wrong Takenoko could be a blast and FF be the dud,but im just guessing.
But if you played any of these or both,just let me know what you would go with? Or as always im open to other ideas,Im looking for something light,easy to understand and fun for the family "kids 8 and 11"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either game, but I've looked into them a bit. Both have their followers, but I think you're right that Fearsome Floors seems to have the wider appeal. For what it's worth, Bruno Faidutti reviewed them both in his Ideal Games Library, and he seemed to prefer Fearsome Floors as well. One thing he mentions is that Takenoko doesn't involve much direct player interaction, whereas FF can (and also can accept a range of strategies, which seems well suited to family game night):

http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=767

http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=87
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Takenoko is a lot of hype.

I've played it two times, and I feel there's a huge disconnect between theme/gameplay (theme has nothing to do with gameplay), and luck/downtime (the board changes each turn and a die says what action you can take, so it's hard to tell what you'll be able to do when your turn comes up: you'll have to rethink everything again at the start of your tutn).

It also only plays with four, which is another minus for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
I think Takenoko is a lot of hype.

I've played it two times, and I feel there's a huge disconnect between theme/gameplay (theme has nothing to do with gameplay), and luck/downtime (the board changes each turn and a die says what action you can take, so it's hard to tell what you'll be able to do when your turn comes up: you'll have to rethink everything again at the start of your tutn).

Hype or not, the quoted comments are disingenuous and entirely misrepresent the game.

The theme is keeping a panda for the amusement of the emperor. The game play is: increase the size of the bamboo garden, grow bamboo in the garden, have the panda eat the bamboo.

Rolling the die doesn't tell you what action you can take. Rolling the die gives a random effect that could be: take an extra action, be allowed choose the same action twice, getting a token, move the panda, grow bamboo, choose the effect you want from amongst the other five. Most of the actions say "may" or "can" which means they are not compulsory and if the tokens run out that means that effect becomes another "choose the effect you want" result. The net effect of this die roll is that either you get another action, you get a token which you don't have to use and which costs you nothing if you don't use it or that nothing happens.

The remainder of your turn consists of putting your two action markers on the appropriate spaces on your player board to indicate which actions you are taking that round. They're the same actions throughout the game so you can always plan what you want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most kids of that age will enjoy running away from the monster and watching it 'get' Dad instead. Takenoko looks lovely, but Fearsome Floors is more fun, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
I guess you cant really judge a game before you play it,but Im assuming Takenoko might be good,but I can't see it being played very often? Where Fearsome Floors might see the table more often,Like I said I could be completely wrong Takenoko could be a blast and FF be the dud,but im just guessing.

I wouldn't say it's a blast. I enjoy it but if you already can't see it being played very often go with FF. Don't have too many players with FF (more than four) as it can drag. Certainly if you're after players interacting with one another FF is the way to go as the hidden goal cards in Takenoko mean that it takes a best guess at another's strategy to try to manipulate the panda or gardener which is about the only way to interact and doing so might cost you valuable scoring opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
Hype or not, the quoted comments are disingenuous and entirely misrepresent the game.
Maybe I'm excaggerating in my previous post, but this game does feel very abstract and there's a whole deal of luck. For me theme is very important, and I like luck in games.

The game is cute and colorful, but what am I exactly as a player? What do I represent? I have no pieces on the board that are mine, and I'm taking cards that have some combination of hexes on them, and when a player later puts this combination on the board, I get to play this card and collect 4 points? What are these points anyway? To me (and many others) it feels like an abstract, and the fact that it's cute and has two miniatures doesn't change it.

And, like in many abstracts, the board evolves a lot inbetween turns. Couple this with the fact that I (partly) don't know what options I have until the beginning of my own turn. This means that I will have to rethink at the start of each turn what I'm gonna do. Making the game slower. I, personally, don't like this aspect of the game.

I don't see how I'm saying things here about the game that aren't true.

Opinions may differ, and I don't think this game is all bad. I think this game is more love-it-or-hate-it than some other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the two, I've only played Fearsome Floors, but it's excellent for what it is, and it sounds like it would fit your needs well. The theme is perfectly integrated and easy to get into. The rules are pretty straight-forward, and the strategy-luck balance is good for a wide-appeal game.

On a similar note, I really like Leaping Lemmings. It's another game of trying to get your little creatures across an area against all odds. I think the play is a little tighter, but all the same comments apply - fun theme, straight-forward rules, enough luck mixed in to keep it wild and fun for a diverse group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll give fearsome floors a chance first,and if all fails I guess we can try eating some bamboo? Plus its approaching Halloween time and FF seems to fit in more. Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Fearsome Floors today and it was a little late to start gaming so I took everyone's advice about playing a game solo to get the rule's down instead of trying to learn and teach a game at the same time as I had a problem with in the past making the game stale.
I have to say I think this will go over Great,This is just what I was hoping for,simple,mild strategy,and Fun! If this game goes as good as my solo game turned out,I have a real winner here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.