Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
My grandmother is coming to visit for a month.

I'd like to take this opportunity to play some games with such a willing and captive audience.

She likes rummy style games such as: Cribbage, Rummikub, Canasta, etc. She's also pretty good at Bananagrams.

I was looking for recommedations for games which suit this style yet are more interesting in theme. If they are print and play, even better (crafting brownie points!).

I have got a double Decktet so some games for that would also be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Ticket to Ride. It's a board game, and the cards aspect is very reminiscent of Rummy.

Edit: Oh, I see you already have Ticket to Ride: Europe. I'm just a sucker for games with a real board and pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Qwirkle should fit her taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume it's just the two of you?

loganbreath wrote:
I have got a double Decktet so some games for that would also be good.
I don't know the deck personally. But from the description I'd probably just try to play Rummy with them and see how it goes...

Games from your collection I would try: Ticket to Ride, Forbidden Island and Zooloretto. Mechanics-wise maybe even Carcassonne.

Bohnanza could work, although you'd have to print out the two player variant which is quite different from normal Bohnanza but sounds similar to Rummy. But it's a great game to have anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drive is rummy with different size and value suits.

Archaeology: The Card Game also has different size and value suits, but then adds trading (with the discards).

(and you already have Lost Cities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
If your grandmother likes cooking, consider Raid the Pantry, released earlier this year by SchilMil Games of Auckland. You can buy it from the Games Shop in Melbourne.
This game was designed by my partner and lucky me, I got to eat the veal marsala after she photographed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tubman
United States
CLINTON
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend the Mystery Rummy series. Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper and Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde are both widely available. Jack the Ripper is actually my favorite, while Jekyll and Hyde is my least favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps one of the games in the 10 Days in... ?

Reminds me very much sometimes of Gin Rummy in that you need a complete 10 card 'run' in order to go out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Coloretto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mach
United States
Lindley
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the card games you mentioned as well as these - Lost Cities, Oden's Ravens, Balloon Cup. As well as Phase 10 or Contract Rummy with more than 2 players.

Here is a site with lots of card game rules you may find interesting. http://www.pagat.com/alpha/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

+1thumbsup for Coloretto

I would also add Finca. It's a favorite of my mother-n-law who loves set collection type games.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Qwirkle (preferably cubes)
How about you just play cribbage?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
Roma
10 Days in Africa
Glory to Rome

I personaly feel that if your grandmother enjoys Canasta or other Rummy type games, that she might enjoy Glory to Rome.

I would also suggest Jambo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
winterplum wrote:
Jaipur
Roma
10 Days in Africa
Glory to Rome

I personaly feel that if your grandmother enjoys Canasta or other Rummy type games, that she might enjoy Glory to Rome.

I would also suggest Jambo.

Definitely not Roma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Archaeology: The Card Game
thumbsup Keltis: Das Kartenspiel
thumbsup Parade - Not really Rummy-ish, but could be appealing.
thumbsup Utopian Rummy / Plato 3000

thumbsup Finca - I have had great success with this game and getting new players to try something completely new and different.

Other little games that could be fun for her to try:

Carnival
Category 5 / Slide5 / 6 Nimmt!
No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupArchaeology: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somewhere in the decktet forum I posted a Rummikub variant I called Rummibear or some such pun. Probably posted in the general forum category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the responses. So many games for us to try out - and many good suggestions from my current collection.
She's here now so I will give some of these a try. We also have some other family members around so would be able to play with more than 2 players some of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not rummy, but one of the best 2 player games I've played recently and it's entirely based on traditional card games (chinese climbing games family):
Haggis

Carcassonne and Coloretto also seem like a neat idea. Maybe also something like Lost Cities or Battle line/Schotten-Totten?

Check Lamarckian Poker (find rules online, played with ordinary deck of cards) - you're bidding with cards from your hand to build the best poker hand by the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the previously mentioned Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
and Bohnanza. For JtR, if grandmother is not bothered by the grisly theme, first download the player aid by Liumas in the game's FILES section. It's an excellent rummy variant, but the original rules are very confusing. For Bohnanza, the 2-P variant is fun and generally produces very close games. My player aid in FILES may be helpful for this one.

Another excellent choice is Morels which has a slight rummy feel to it. It is a new game that is rapidly becoming one of our favorite 2-P games. Right now, only available from the designer (and fellow BGG user) Brent Povis at www.twolanternsgames.com. Easy to learn, fun to play and has an excellent rules booklet that has answered all of our questions.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think Wyatt Earp would be perfect. It's rummy-based and scales well, and you can find it pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation would be to meet her on her own ground, and play games she's comfortable with. Nothing wrong with asking whether she's interested in learning something new, but pay close attention to her reaction and don't put her on the spot.

I never played anything but scrabble and boggle with my grandmother when she was alive, and those aren't really my sort of games, but I'm glad I spent that time with her doing what she liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Check out Ticket to Ride. It's a board game, and the cards aspect is very reminiscent of Rummy.

Edit: Oh, I see you already have Ticket to Ride: Europe. I'm just a sucker for games with a real board and pieces.

+1 to this my grandmother loved "that train game we played" too lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebekah Bissell has a very good Print & Play rummy game that I like to recommend: Untamed: A Rummy Revolution. I see that you already have Rebekah's Livestock Market: the Card Game in your collection, so perhaps you may enjoy her other design as well....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.