Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greeting fellow Fields of Fire players!

Do you own an iOS device? With FileMaker Go 11? (or any copy of FileMaker Pro 7 thru 11) Then you're in luck! (maybe?)

I got tired of that dreaded reshuffle card always popping up in the middle of all the excitement, bringing everything to a halt.

I also didn't want to use up valuable table space for my laptop.

So I threw together a little database backend in FileMaker and whipped up an interface for use with FileMaker Go 11 on the iOS platform.

The downside is that if you don't own the FileMaker Go 11 App already, it costs $20. The up side is that sometime later this year I'll have FileMaker 12 so I'll be able to output a new version that can work with the free FileMaker Go 12 app.

Anyway, here's 4 screen shots of what it looks like:

Image #1 : This is what the active card looks like.

Image #2 : This is the reshuffle card.

Image #3 : This is what a used card looks like if you go back to view your draw history for the current shuffle.

Image #4 : Same as #3, but the reshuffle card. You'll only ever see this if you prefer to play out the entire deck without reshuffling, and go back and view your history after hitting the reshuffle card. I had read some comments where folks play that way so I figured I'd include it.

The shuffle card is randomly inserted into the middle of the deck with a slight +/- 4 card or so variation.

At any point you can 'reset' the deck, which is just another way of saying reshuffle. Help doesn't currently work, but I had some empty space, so maybe down the road I'll convert it into something else like a self-destruct button for when those counter-attacks hit. cry

It's seriously lacking in imagery, but I didn't ask for approval before I did this. If it seems to be popular, I'll invest the time to either create my own or see if GMT wouldn't mind kicking down the iconography used on the actual cards. I'm not selling this so it might fly.

Most of it should be self-explanatory, but if you have any questions lemme know.

The database should work in FileMaker 7.0 thru 11.0, but it might start looking odd if you try resizing anything since I threw in a few tricks to get it to format perfectly for portrait and landscape viewing on an iPhone.

That's it. I hope someone is able to use it, and if you want a FileMaker Pro 12/Go 12 version post so in this thread and subscribe to it.

Also if you get a chance to use this version, please give me any feedback/advice/etc.

Thanks!

PS: File hasn't been approved yet, but if it is it'll be in the file section here. "FoF Action Deck for FileMaker FP7 v1.0.2"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The file has finally been approved (sorry about the delay if anyone was waiting, forgot file submissions take the longest). If you get a chance to use it, I'd love to hear your feedback.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/81259/fof-action-deck-...

Future Plans:

Where the help button is it'll link to the 4 playing card size player aids for quick reference.

Improve the look & feel as time permits. This is where your feedback can help a lot.

Possible Future Plans:

Interface sized for iPad & Desktop Screens (need an iPad first).

Button placement consideration for left handed folks if it seems to be an issue.

Either have a built-in or linked up mission/turn/visibility/command tracker. I'm still out on whether or not it would actually help due to the small screen size target of the iPhone/touch which is my primary target right now. If I get an iPad then this might happen sooner than later.

Finally, with an official iOS version of the game in the works, I want to be mindful and not step on any toes.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever reason, since the last update for iPad, I cannot download zip files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.