Hide
6 Posts

Fire When Ready» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Some thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Duncan
msg tools
This is a game I played alot in my early wargaming years and tend to revisit now and again. I find it really enjoyable. I am a bit of an amateur naval historian and through research have created stats for almost every ship for the period of around 1890.

I find that this game, although simulating up to the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05 is really far more suited to naval combat in the late 80's and early 90's as the gunnery ranges are perfect for that era. In the late 90's gun range and effectiveness rapidly increased so that the gunnery tables are very poor at representing Combat for this period, especially the Russian/Japanese battles.

There are some great historical possibilities that my research has revealed:

A Chilean v USA conflict in late 1891/early 1892 as a result of conflict between the Successfull Chilean rebels and the USA during the Chilean Civil War of 1891 e.g. the Itata and Baltimore incidents.

A German v USA war in 1889 over their Samoan dispute. Both sides had small squadrons at Apia (three ships each), but a Cyclone sank or disabled all six and effectively ended the standoff.

The usual Franco-British war over any number of disputes, but mainly west Africa and Egypt in the early 90's. This period was France's best chance for any naval success against the British, as the Naval Defence Act of 1889 transformed the Royal Navy into a massive powerhouse with numerous very powerful and modern ships in all classes by the mid 90's.

An Anglo-Japanese alliance against France, Germany and Russia in 1895 in the wake of the Sino-Japanese War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheet
United States
Rochester
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Jim D wrote:
I am a bit of an amateur naval historian and through research have created stats for almost every ship for the period of around 1890.

Would you consider uploading them to the files section? I'd love to have a copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Duncan
msg tools
I did them so long ago it was before I even had a PC so they are all on sheets of A4 paper. But I was considering putting them into a word document and your post may be just the impetus I need!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheet
United States
Rochester
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
That would be great, I hope you can find the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Duncan
msg tools
I have uploaded a couple of battles between Chile and America in connection with the Chilean civil War. I have never done this before so I hope it turns out alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can remember going though the first volume of Conway's that covers this period and making stats for every ship that existed and making up scenarios and such. Unfortunately this was all in a spiral bound note book that is lost to the sands of time now. I wonder, use the APL GWAS maps and search engine and use this for battle resolution. It's a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.