Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats the interest in a smartly made wood box at a reasonable prize?

'smartly' =
-A more advanced design than the entry level woodworking 'glue a piece of plywood on the top and bottom)
-Box joints (surprising enough, the correct joint)
-Nearly all 'real' wood
-Any plywood would be furniture grade wood veneer plywood
-Hardware would be appropriate, not cheap chains and cabinet handles.
-No masonite

Poll
If I had a storage box, I would prefer my cards to be stored:
  Just an Opinion Might purchase
Upright (taller, smaller footprint)
On there sides (briefcase proportions)
      106 answers
Poll created by ionizedbrian

Poll
How important is a real wood top and bottom?
Veneer plywood is fine
Would pay the $20 extra it may cost
      101 answers

Poll: A Dominion Label
A 'Dominion' label
Don't need one
A color paper printout is fine
I like vinyl letters
Router engraved letters would be worth a little extra
Would possible pay extra for a ceramic art tile
      97 answers

*doh, maybe i'll edit the 'there' later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested. An important aspect, however, would be whether the box included some sort of dividers. I would probably hesitate to buy a finished box only to have to cut-and-paste a complete set of fitting dividers.

(Also, it would have to ship internationally for me to even be a potential costumer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have a cardboard box to store all the dominion expansions in and it is already heavy. With the 500 cards of Dark ages coming plus one more expansion, I think a wooden box would need to be a two person lift!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping costs on something like this is usually a significant barrier for people out of country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy one, provided it allowed for vertical *"premium" sleeved* card storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bates
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my 2 cents... I have considered making such a box. I would recomend that the bottom of the box be plywood but the sides and top be hardwood. My reason behind this is that if I did build such a box I would have the top and possibly the sides laser engraved. It looks similar to wood burned etching and routing but with greater detail. Plywood woudl not hold up over time with this or routing. The major thing that keeps me from investing the time and money it would take to do this when there are still additional expansions to be released. I wish you the best of luck and if you are successful in creating this box, and you are making more to sale, post it here, I may be a potential buyer! Now if there were only similar boxes for my Carcassonne, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Pirates Cove... Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a person with no artistic skills it all sounds great until you look at what is required to get it all right.
What I am looking for is a box (or 2) that can contain all cards with premium sleeves AND have proper dividers with spare capacity for the future.
I don't want to spend another 100 hours just to make the 300-something dividers after getting a box.

So, my question is: does anybody know of a way to get a box like that (or 2 if 1 becomes too heavy) INCLUDING the dividers for the base and all expansions AND sufficient blank dividers to cater for future expansion (Guilds) and interesting cards from Fan expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If some one would like to....

-Confirm the size of 'premium' card sleeves. I have only seen 59mm x 92mm listed.

-Measure a stack of 100(or 50 etc) cards in 'premium' sleeve. Same for regular sleeves would be a good thing to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two issues with hardwood top/bottom (assuming that top and bottom are the largest pieces; otherwise substitute "sides") -

1 - to avoid too much movement of the wood over time, the pieces have to be quite thick (ie expensive),

2 - and the thicker they are, the heavier the box gets.

I bought some veneered plywood *after* making my Dominion box, and one of the reasons for that was if I ever made another one (and my case only holds up to Prosperity), I wanted to make it lighter. As it is, it is HEAVY.

FWIW, I got around the dividers issue by routing a slot for each and every set of action cards. Looks great, works well, makes the box larger (and heavier) as a result, and took sodding ages. It's not how I'd do it again (unless I had access to an industrial flatbed CNC routing machine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1 - to avoid too much movement of the wood over time, the pieces have to be quite thick (ie expensive)

Oh my, this is completely incorrect

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/wood-movement/
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm
(notice there is no box for the thickness of the wood, or if you find a calculator that does, it will have no effect on the result)

Wood expands with moisture, using MORE of it doesn't change that.

The way to deal with wood movement is with design.

With this size box (the width 'across the boards'), the way to make a 'professional' all wood box would be to have the top be 'frame and panel'. Well, or have the top be a separate board entirely (but then you have warping issues, and no place to put the rules ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
FWIW, I got around the dividers issue by routing a slot for each and every set of action cards. Looks great, works well, makes the box larger (and heavier) as a result, and took sodding ages. It's not how I'd do it again (unless I had access to an industrial flatbed CNC routing machine).

Yes, I have seen that (and saved a picture of it ). It is good looking and an ingenious idea. However, for your reasons and a couple others I see, I likely will go a different way.

Also, repeated slots, either large like that or a large number of thin ones, are exceedingly easy to do on a table saw. Basically the same jig as the one for box joints, and a couple other tricks also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider this too: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286842883/the-keep-any-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enfynet enfynet
msg tools
mb
kirkbauer wrote:

That's actually really cool! I'm not a very big gamer, but I know a bunch of games that would benefit from something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll results indicate the difficulties here - there's fairly little convergence on what an ideal high-end box would look like. And at the prices necessarily involved, those differences of opinion are extremely significant. I, like most folks (I think), would buy what I consider a slightly suboptimal box for $20-$40. But a well-made wooden box is likely to end up costing more, and at that point I start to get a lot more picky. For example, I *hate* icons/logos/badges on anything I own - I just tore the dealer sticker off of my new car and ordered blank license plate holders - and having a "Dominion" icon routed/tiled/whatever'd into the box (which most people like) would make me less likely to purchase at the price required. Everybody has their pet peeves, and when you're spending upwards of $50 on storage, those become a serious impediment to entrepreneurs.

If you really want to get enough orders to be worth the setup time/costs, I'd suggest creating a very limited set of options and corresponding order form that gives people at least a little bit of choice. You can't make everything an option without going totally insane on your end (unless you want to charge a hefty premium for out-of-the-box custom work, which is also fine IMO). But even a limited choice makes people much more willing to commit the money for this kind of item.

FWIW, I do happen to be in the market for Dominion storage at the moment, so my comments above are not entirely theoretical.

Also FWIW, Brian made me a custom box for Ogre some time back that was very well done and quite reasonably priced. I would certainly endorse his work if he decides to go into producing Dominion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
..little convergence...

That is certainly the truth. Being my first polls, I used the wrong 'type' also - as adding the percentages will show.

The good news is that I likely will do them in batches of ~5, and do a few batches before I need to move on to another project. This number gets me a reasonable efficiency, my shop (and its storage) is small, and I don't want to have too many orders in hand. This number would mean I can do both card orientations, which is the biggest issue.

Labels was largely information gathering. I haven't built an Arduino CNC router, or router pantograph yet, so that won't be an option to start. I would very much like to go with no vinyl or color label as it would seem there would be a lot of differences here (size, color, placement, etc etc) and it starts getting into the 'whats legal' area. And its also something that can be done post purchase.

I did not, however, realize people needed the paper dividers/tabs done for them. There are files here on BGG, and while my scissor and 'print button clicking' skills may be better than some, I didn't see this as an issue.

Quote:
suboptimal box for $20-$40.

The $20 box from Hobby lobby looks great for that price. And btw, if anyone has access to a table saw, making the inside dividers is pretty easy, and a very safe operation.

My main motivation for this thread was to do a project so that I can make some reasonably, low hassle money and feel like I people here where getting a good deal. There is no reason a basic plywood box (with the cheapest hardware that could possible be had) should cost $200, or be as unskilled as the catan box on ebay.

My current feeling is to make a 'very good' box for a reasonable price. It will better in design, appearance (unless you like painted plywood), materials, and hardware than the previously mention items. And won't cost anywhere near $200.

oh yeh-
*ALL SALES would go through BGG market place*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally was able to make a new box joint jig.

This is an example of what I have been talking about. This box was just a test for the new jig, not an exact example of a box for Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:

With all due respect to the designers of The Keep ..

Might be functional, but it is not easy on the eyes.

I see it, maybe, more as a solution to carry your games around, not necessarily for permanent storage on a game room, where you want to showcase your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Hansen
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my solution. It's made from a wooden wine crate and works rather well. The pictures shown are with every card released to date (Dominion + all expansions through Dark Ages + all promos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.