Dominant Species» Forums » General

Subject: How does the game scale for 2 and 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I'm thinking about buying DS. However, there is one thing bothers me. I will be mostly playing 2 or 3 player games. I skimmed the rules and noticed that in such games each player controls multiple animals. I don't like it when the game is scaled to smaller number of players in such fashion. Does it make sense to play DS with 2 or 3 players if each is controlling only one animal (thus only 2 or 3 animals on the board)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killy9999 wrote:
Hi all. I'm thinking about buying DS. However, there is one thing bothers me. I will be mostly playing 2 or 3 player games. I skimmed the rules and noticed that in such games each player controls multiple animals. I don't like it when the game is scaled to smaller number of players in such fashion. Does it make sense to play DS with 2 or 3 players if each is controlling only one animal (thus only 2 or 3 animals on the board)?

Also my question on this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it with three lots of times. Completely enjoyable. Liked it even more then 4-ppl game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Morgan
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
killy9999 wrote:

Also my question on this game

I too would be interested in this information!!!

~Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with multiple animals is the OPTIONAL way. The normal way is to just play with one animal. And the game is just done that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times 2-player with a single animal. Plays great and VERY strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
I've played a few times 2-player with a single animal. Plays great and VERY strategic.

how long did your 2P games take? 2 hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
skyzero wrote:

Yeah about 2 hours for 2 players with one animal each, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We played with 3 players 3 times and at the end of each one, someone had a problem with Kingmaking.

P.S I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
skyzero wrote:

Teaching game will run about 3 and once everyone knows what they're doing, it'll take anywhere from 2-2.5 hrs. If you use the variant of removing the cards that provide additional action pawns, it'll run under 2 hours every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with three (and one animal) and works very well that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:

Was it a dolphin? I hear they're very smart. Did he do well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just join the chorus here; the game plays beautifully with three players, one animal each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Op, that's the optional rules.

It works fine as one player one animal. The only issue with 3 player can be kingmaking so avoid playing with loved up couples who tend to help each other in games. That's not a fault of the game as such but people do generally need to play for themselves and not others.

I often do 2 player one animal. We do it in about an hour or so and it's great fun. 3 or 4 player is just as good and that takes 2-3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'loved up couples'...

That made me giggle.

May I steal this expression from you? Would royalties be involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gap10 wrote:
'loved up couples'...

That made me giggle.

May I steal this expression from you? Would royalties be involved?

Sure you can at the cheap price of playing Catastrophe on someone else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
bop517 wrote:

You're better of playing with a crow of some sort. They are better at handling the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have only played this 2 player since it came out,and its one of my favourite games - as said we play with one animal each and it takes about 90mins per game..rarely goes over that time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
Didn't enjoy three player game at all. Six Action Pawns for each player, possible huge differences in score, a lot of free spaces to choose from, weird... I prefer it with the full capacity of six players, total chaos, and precious AP placing all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
msouzafon wrote:
Didn't enjoy three player game at all. Six Action Pawns for each player, possible huge differences in score, a lot of free spaces to choose from, weird... I prefer it with the full capacity of six players, total chaos, and precious AP placing all the time.

Yes, this game varies a lot depending on the number of players. I've found they all work well but I suspect most people will have a preference. I like 4 player best but 2 and 3 player are good too. However for our 3 player we really do help just ourselves which ensures it is still balanced. It is too easy to dogpile onto the third but once that's apparent it is efficient to do it only as much as is needed. Overkilling is wasted actions. That takes practise to judge right I think.

I found 5 and 6 player too chaotic for my tastes. However it was which some new players which reduced the strategic and tactical play quite a lot I think. I suspect with an experienced group it would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
bop517 wrote:

He couldn't help to jump out of the water every time he saw a clever move. Annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really a great game at 3 players with one animal each, but don't be frightened to try the multiple animal rule, it adds alot of complexity. Especially since only the lowest final score between your two animals counts. Forces you to balance the two animals instead of using one as a buffer for the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only number I'm a little wary of playing with is 5 - the two players next to the gap have a slight advantage in having less direct competition. With 2, 3, 4 or 6 players, everyone can (with suitable choices of animal) have the same number of neighbours (with 3 or 4 players, only some arrangements do this).

I'm not sure how far experience works to modify this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgt stiffler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party, but after playing the last few games as a 2 player match, I am very satisfied. Iv'e only played 2 and 3 player matches. And I actually prefer 2 player. You don't want to be leading in a 3 player match. (at least in my group). So if you are on the fence about purchasing DS, I say take the plunge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I already bought the game and played only 2 and 3 player games so far. I'm very happy with scaling. I think I wouldn't play this with 5 and 6 players - might be too chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.