Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Repeat Performance M13 Event Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your guy's opinions on the Repeat Performance Event deck that was released with the M13 Core Set? If you aren't familiar with the deck, the deck list can be found below. What would you keep in the deck? What would you take out? What would you add?



Main Deck
60 cards

12 Forest
8 Plains
2 Razorverge Thicket

1 Acidic Slime
2 Arbor Elf
3 Attended Knight
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
1 Blade Splicer
3 Borderland Ranger
1 Brutalizer Exarch
2 Elvish Visionary
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Geist-Honored Monk
1 Glimmerpoint Stag
4 Llanowar Elves
1 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
4 Roaring Primadox
1 Stingerfling Spider
1 Stonehorn Dignitary
1 Sunblast Angel
1 Thragtusk

1 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Lead the Stampede

Sideboard
3 Cloudshift
2 Dismember
3 Kemba's Skyguard
4 Oblivion Ring
3 War Priest of Thune
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely needs more acidic slimes. It's got decent mana acceleration in green so you can get to 5 mana easily. Once there, with a Primadox and a slime, you can plink away at your opponent's mana base, shutting down his engines while you slowly build up additional mana to keep the slime engine running and adding more and more creatures. Adding Stingerflings would be good also to deal with the pesky flyers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fantastic value, esp if your FLGS still has them at $20-25. The rares alone chalk up to over to $30. Then you get a playtest of O-Ring and a few Dismembers, which are easily $1+ each.

Restoration Angels would be amazing to add, but they are getting spendy. Also Thragtusk should be more than a 1 of...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about purchasing this deck but I need to see what others think of it and suggestions on making it better. I want another deck that I can use when I want to take a break from my Zombies deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a decklist I would run:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bounce-house-09-08-12-1/

Definitely needs some testing to see how good it can be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two last night actually because I needed the cards for this:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/standard/24641-AllTheTusk...

I've been following his stream while he's been building it, and it's nuts. My other standard deck is RB zombies, but I'm loving this one. I'll be running both at Gen Con I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is value in the event deck if you can get it for 20-25 and you plan on playing quite a bit before October (7 weeks). If you only plan on playing in one or two FNM's before then I would hold off and purchase the singles you want (Thragtusk) then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Using cards that I have, how does this look?

----------------------
Main Deck
60 cards

12 Forest
8 Plains
2 Razorverge Thicket

2 Llanowar Elves
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Acidic Slime
2 Blade Splicer
3 Borderland Ranger
4 Geist-Honored Monk
3 Roaring Primadox
4 Goldnight Redeemer
2 Restoration Angel
2 Thragtusk

4 Blessing of Nature
4 Rancor

Sideboard
3 Cloudshift
2 Dismember
3 Kemba's Skyguard
4 Oblivion Ring
3 War Priest of Thune
-----------------------

This was truly hard to cut down to 60 cards. When I got all the cards I wanted in this deck, it was about 80 cards. Cutting 20 was freakin' difficult. There is so much that I want to put in this deck. It was hard to cut the Stingerfling Spider and Fiend Hunters because I am so use to playing black and having all the removal in my decks. I also really wanted to keep the Attended Knights in, but I just couldn't find any space in the deck for them. What do you guys think? Did I make the right cuts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blessing of Nature is a good card, but it doesn't work in this deck. Roaring Primadox is going to make you return creatures back to your hand and one time it's going to be the one that had the Blessing of Nature on it.

I think I'd replace it with Bond Beetle or Elvish Visionary instead or even putting the Attended Knights back in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Blessing of Nature is a good card, but it doesn't work in this deck. Roaring Primadox is going to make you return creatures back to your hand and one time it's going to be the one that had the Blessing of Nature on it.

I think I'd replace it with Bond Beetle or Elvish Visionary instead or even putting the Attended Knights back in.


Agree, for a similar reason I'd drop Rancor. It's an amazing card, but it wants to be in a more aggressive deck. With all the tricks, you just won't want to futz with them. Or at least put them in the SB against something like Control. I'd cut some Giest Honored Monks as well. Just because you have a couple of mana dorks doesn't mean you should be cramming a ton of expensive cards into the deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
Well, Repeat Performance sure beats the bejeezus out of the other M13 event deck (Sweet Revenge.)
Look at this collection of chaff:

Lands:
1 Darkslick Shores
1 Desolate Lighthouse
4 Evolving Wilds
7 Island
9 Mountain
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Swamp
24 lands

Creatures:
2 Armored Skaab
4 Fettergeist
1 Firewing Phoenix

Spells:
4 Burning Vengeance
4 Desperate Ravings
4 Faithless Looting
3 Forbidden Alchemy
2 Geistflame
3 Pillar of Flame
1 Red Sun's Zenith
1 Rolling Temblor
1 Silent Departure
2 Slagstorm
4 Think Twice

Sideboard:
2 Arc Trail
4 Bloodcrazed Neonate
2 Dismember
4 Screeching Skaab
3 Secrets of the Dead

Apart from the lands, I say blech!!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Well, Repeat Performance sure beats the bejeezus out of the other M13 event deck (Sweet Revenge.)
Look at this collection of chaff:
*snip*
Apart from the lands, I say blech!!!!


For a M13 event deck, it sure is thin on M13 cards. Just one Firewing Phoenix and 4 Evolving wilds. Everything else is from other sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Blessing of Nature is a good card, but it doesn't work in this deck. Roaring Primadox is going to make you return creatures back to your hand and one time it's going to be the one that had the Blessing of Nature on it.

I think I'd replace it with Bond Beetle or Elvish Visionary instead or even putting the Attended Knights back in.


I figure if it ever came down to just two creatures, one the Primadox and another a creature with blessings, I would just take back the Primadox. But, I'll look into the bond beetles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
abrannan wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Well, Repeat Performance sure beats the bejeezus out of the other M13 event deck (Sweet Revenge.)
Look at this collection of chaff:
*snip*
Apart from the lands, I say blech!!!!
For a M13 event deck, it sure is thin on M13 cards. Just one Firewing Phoenix and 4 Evolving wilds. Everything else is from other sets.
They did the same thing with the one Avacyn Restored event deck (Humanity's Vengeance.) They only had 6 different AR cards in the deck! And another 2 in the sideboard. I know they want these to be "event-friendly" but why even bother calling them "M13" or "Avacyn Restored" event decks. They should just call them "Summer 2012 Event Decks," or "Fall 2012 Event Decks."

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
SVan wrote:
Blessing of Nature is a good card, but it doesn't work in this deck. Roaring Primadox is going to make you return creatures back to your hand and one time it's going to be the one that had the Blessing of Nature on it.

I think I'd replace it with Bond Beetle or Elvish Visionary instead or even putting the Attended Knights back in.


Agree, for a similar reason I'd drop Rancor. It's an amazing card, but it wants to be in a more aggressive deck. With all the tricks, you just won't want to futz with them. Or at least put them in the SB against something like Control. I'd cut some Giest Honored Monks as well. Just because you have a couple of mana dorks doesn't mean you should be cramming a ton of expensive cards into the deck.


Maybe I just see Rancor in a different light then you. But the way I see it, with the Giest's and the blessings, you have the potential for some really big attackers, and Rancor will help most of the damage get through even if they are blocked. I think they could work well in a deck aimed for bigger creatures.

As for the mana, I do kind of see your point. I might take out the Reedemers and add Elvish Visionary or even the Attended Knights back in. I just can't see taking out the Giest's since they are one of the main wincons for this deck (at least until I can get some more Thragtusks).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GreAsyG wrote:

Maybe I just see Rancor in a different light then you. But the way I see it, with the Giest's and the blessings, you have the potential for some really big attackers, and Rancor will help most of the damage get through even if they are blocked. I think they could work well in a deck aimed for bigger creatures.

As for the mana, I do kind of see your point. I might take out the Reedemers and add Elvish Visionary or even the Attended Knights back in. I just can't see taking out the Giest's since they are one of the main wincons for this deck (at least until I can get some more Thragtusks).


The only reason I'm being harsh is because I know you want to play this in a tournament and it's easy to fall into traps when you're a somewhat new player. I'm certainly no pro or expert, but I've been playing Standard for 10+ years and have learned to recognize these kinds of things for what they are. I would say for a fun "kitchen table" deck, it's just fine, and you'll have lots of fun. But if you wanted to play it in a more aggressive environment, here is my reasoning for saying NO to Rancor and Monk:

- Think about your Zombie deck or a Delver deck... it's not going to care one bit if I drop a 4/4 Monk on the other side of the field, which if you're doing your job as the zombie player... is really all the bigger she will be. If you bring out your Monk, and it's bigger than a 4/4, then you're already winning. You don't need a enchantment to make that point for you.

- In this deck, keep her as a 1-2 of for sure... but really any card that cannot protect itself or provide value at 5 mana shouldn't be a 4-of. That's why it's okay to run 4 Thragtusks in the deck above, because he gains 5 life (which is huge versus a deck like Zombies) and poops out a 3/3 when he leaves the battlefield (and not just when he dies, which is the important thing here)... THAT'S value. He'll ALWAYS do that, and he doesn't need other cards to be in play to make it function that way.

- If I cast Rancor on Monk and it gets countered or dies... what do I get out of the deal? Is it worth the mana? In fact, if you enchant her and I was holding a removal spell and kill her in response, suddenly you're 2 cards down and it only cost me one to do that (the Rancor doesn't return to your hand if I "counter" it or remove its target while it's on the stack). You've given Value to the opposing player. Same thing in combat. If you attack with a bunch of dudes, and I can kill any of them, she shrinks and possibly dies. I effectively can "2-for-1" you again with just one card. Tragtusk is always a 5 power monster and if I block and kill it, it likely kills my guy too and then I have to deal with a 3/3. Even if I kill that token, suddenly I'M the one who has been 2-for-1'd. Your ONE Thragtusk made me lose a guy and waste a removal spell. In the same situation for Monk and Rancor, you maybe do a couple of points of damage and still lose your guy. In fact, knowing this was going to happen, you likely didn't even attack. Sure you get that Rancor back, but then what? You cast it on a token? Annoying yes, but game winning, no.

Just some things to think about, and I'm looking at this from someone who's been on both sides of the table.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
GreAsyG wrote:

Maybe I just see Rancor in a different light then you. But the way I see it, with the Giest's and the blessings, you have the potential for some really big attackers, and Rancor will help most of the damage get through even if they are blocked. I think they could work well in a deck aimed for bigger creatures.

As for the mana, I do kind of see your point. I might take out the Reedemers and add Elvish Visionary or even the Attended Knights back in. I just can't see taking out the Giest's since they are one of the main wincons for this deck (at least until I can get some more Thragtusks).


The only reason I'm being harsh is because I know you want to play this in a tournament and it's easy to fall into traps when you're a somewhat new player. I'm certainly no pro or expert, but I've been playing Standard for 10+ years and have learned to recognize these kinds of things for what they are. I would say for a fun "kitchen table" deck, it's just fine, and you'll have lots of fun. But if you wanted to play it in a more aggressive environment, here is my reasoning for saying NO to Rancor and Monk:

- Think about your Zombie deck or a Delver deck... it's not going to care one bit if I drop a 4/4 Monk on the other side of the field, which if you're doing your job as the zombie player... is really all the bigger she will be. If you bring out your Monk, and it's bigger than a 4/4, then you're already winning. You don't need a enchantment to make that point for you.

- In this deck, keep her as a 1-2 of for sure... but really any card that cannot protect itself or provide value at 5 mana shouldn't be a 4-of. That's why it's okay to run 4 Thragtusks in the deck above, because he gains 5 life (which is huge versus a deck like Zombies) and poops out a 3/3 when he leaves the battlefield (and not just when he dies, which is the important thing here)... THAT'S value. He'll ALWAYS do that, and he doesn't need other cards to be in play to make it function that way.

- If I cast Rancor on Monk and it gets countered or dies... what do I get out of the deal? Is it worth the mana? In fact, if you enchant her and I was holding a removal spell and kill her in response, suddenly you're 2 cards down and it only cost me one to do that (the Rancor doesn't return to your hand if I "counter" it or remove its target while it's on the stack). You've given Value to the opposing player. Same thing in combat. If you attack with a bunch of dudes, and I can kill any of them, she shrinks and possibly dies. I effectively can "2-for-1" you again with just one card. Tragtusk is always a 5 power monster and if I block and kill it, it likely kills my guy too and then I have to deal with a 3/3. Even if I kill that token, suddenly I'M the one who has been 2-for-1'd. Your ONE Thragtusk made me lose a guy and waste a removal spell. In the same situation for Monk and Rancor, you maybe do a couple of points of damage and still lose your guy. In fact, knowing this was going to happen, you likely didn't even attack. Sure you get that Rancor back, but then what? You cast it on a token? Annoying yes, but game winning, no.

Just some things to think about, and I'm looking at this from someone who's been on both sides of the table.


I think I get where you are going with the giest, but your examples for rancor seems to be an issue that any deck running rancor would face, unless you try playing it on a hexproof or indestructible creature. would rancor work better if I add 4x Attended Knights? a 4/2 first strike with trample seem kind of fun. Plus just the idea of playing a rancor turn two on a prilgrim or elf seems like a good way to get ahead start on your opponent even though you face the issue of not being able to benefit from the mana ramp. But I think a turn 2 creature with 3 power and trample would make up for that. But, maybe not.

Maybe I should just gut this deck and start from scratch, the primadox's seems like they could be a risk.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Thoughts on Conjurer's Closet replacing the Primadox's?

---------------
Conjurer's Closet - 5 colorless mana
Artifact
At the beginning of your end step, you may exile target creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under your control.
---------------

For one more mana, you get the benefit of using a creatures ETB ability more than once, but without paying the mana cost of the creature every time to replay it. Plus, it specificly uses the word "may" so I don't have to use the ability at every end step if I don't want to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The below link lists the deck that I used tonight at FNM (I didn't feel like posting it all in the forum):

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thragtusks-closet/

Anyways, It went 3-2 tonight, landing me in 9th place (so close )

This was the first time I really used this deck, so I made some pretty foolish mistakes that I will learn to fix as I play with this deck more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.