Subject: Is this game really, "Too dark for family settings?" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"I'm not a big fan of witches, the game looks evil. It's too dark for family settings..." -Tom Vasel

Sir Vasel then goes on to explain that the artwork/theme is far too dark. Is this a legitimate complaint?

I'm considering purchasing this as my family LOVES coop games. I watched Tom Vasel's review awhile back which dissuaded me from buying it. Now, many months later, we really need a new coop game as you can only play Ghost Stories/Pandemic/Defenders of the Realm/Yggdrasil/LotR card game/board game so many times before you need something new.

On the other hand, my wife is going to be rather upset with me if I purchase some creepy, Satanic game. Vasel makes it sound almost as if it's similar to playing with a Ouija Board lol.

Is this game really that dark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very subjective call.

I would browse the Image Gallery (5 pages of 'Game' gallery) to take a look at card and board art here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/38506/witch-of...

Then you can judge for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, the "Witch of Salem" in this game is male, so would traditionally be called a warlock. The only image of him shows his face, and he doesn't appear very witch-like. He helps the group, by giving you items or moving the Necron marker back a space.

There are some "witches" among the creatures you face. Their ability is quite abstract (they scramble the portal tiles), so they don't feel witch-like in that way. So for the "witch" topic, I guess it's down to the art on those creature cards, and the word "witch".

There are no "spells" (I'm pretty sure that word is not mentioned anywhere). Satan is not mentioned, and wouldn't fit thematically, as this is a fantasy/sci-fi battle, not a religious battle. Players do not get "wounded"...they merely lose sanity. There are daggers (used to kill creatures) and healing potions (to restore sanity). The runes in this game (used to close portals) look somewhat like Chinese characters, unlike the pentagram-like elder signs used in games like...Elder Sign.

Personally, I find most of the art to be slightly more on the cartoonish side than the serious/dark/scary side, but you can judge that for yourself. The "Deep One" is a frog. The "Lava Worms" look like something from Dune or a B movie. I can imagine that some images might trouble very young (or very sheltered) children, but it all seems quite tame to me compared to what is shown on prime time these days. If they have survived a local (non-church-run) haunted house, the game would not raise a single eyebrow.

And I can't think of anything in the gameplay of WoS that would be more traumatic than the gameplay of the other games you mentioned. By that I mean that nothing graphic happens in the game, like you don't get your head chopped off, or get covered in snakes, or anything like that. You lose items, lose sanity, and watch Necron advance along the track.

By the way, my wife and I are really enjoying this game. We have only played without the portal secrecy rule, and find the difficult level that way to be perfect when starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your typical "scary creature" game. No different than what most kids are shooting in your typical video game. If that's family fare, so is this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
It's your typical "scary creature" game. No different than what most kids are shooting in your typical video game. If that's family fare, so is this.

Gads. From what I've seen of shooting-related video games, if those had an R rating, I would give WoS a pure G rating. But then I'm anti-gore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bear in mind that Vasel is/was a Christian Missionary, so his views on 'evil' in games should be taken with a pinch of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matildadad wrote:
That's a very subjective call.

I would browse the Image Gallery (5 pages of 'Game' gallery) to take a look at card and board art here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/38506/witch-of...

Then you can judge for yourself.

This. Everyone has different sensitivities.

One quick note, though: I didn't see Flash Point in the list of co-op games you've played to death. Take a look at that one if your only real motivation is to pick up a new co-op. I'd say it's superior to WoS in every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, REALLY appreciate the info. Ordered a copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:

... I'm considering purchasing this as my family LOVES coop games. ... On the other hand, my wife is going to be rather upset with me if I purchase some creepy, Satanic game. Vasel makes it sound almost as if it's similar to playing with a Ouija Board lol.

Is this game really that dark?

I'd use the term "cooperative game" very loosely with Witch of Salem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Seal
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also consider the following cooperative/semi-cooperative board games. I absolutely LOVE cooperative board games and love all of these:

-Space Alert (great family game)

-Sentinels of the Multiverse (fantastic superhero card, great for the family) You can thank me later!

-Zombicide (if you like the idea of slaughtering zombies together)

-Forbidden Island (not so forbidding, this is a perfect family and gateway game) *Note: Forbidden Desert should be coming out soon.

-Betrayal at House on the Hill (classic B horror movie feel)

-Police Precinct (police officers, doing their thing)

-Flash Point (already mentioned by another user) the Extreme Dangers current Kickstarter offers lots of expansion options.

-Invasion from Outer Space (Martians vs. a group of Circus Performers)

-A Touch of Evil (Fantastic cooperative game with a good supernatural theme. Think of Sleep Hollow and imagine you're a group trying to stop the Headless Horseman)

-Scotland Yard (old, but good "bobbies" vs. fugitive game)

-Escape: The Curse of the Temple (Indy and friends, trying to escape from a collapsing temple)

I've also heard good things about "The Adventurers" games.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doom 18
Spain
Can Pastilla
Illes Balears
flag msg tools
¡¡¡A por el próximo!!!
badge
¡Ouch!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game last night with 12 year old kids. After the rules explanation the girl did not want to play, said that she did not want to have nightmares and tried to cover Necron's face all the time on the board. Tha boys did play and liked it a lot. No complaints from them the next morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.