Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a warning, this is a rant and I'm complaining in this post.

I'm not a fan of PayPal. I don't use it often and here's why. Every single time that I do use PayPal for a purchase, my account has limits placed on it and I have to re-verify that I am who I say I am. To make matters all the more frustrating, I don't own a land-line phone (and I'm not willing to buy a phone and pay $40 to $60 a month just so I can occasionally shop using PayPal). and so I have to wait several days for a mailed confirmation to arrive in my postal box. Does anyone else have this issue? I've sent in a few complaints to PayPal, but I just receive the standard 'Thanks for your feedback' messages. I just don't understand that they feel like my account is being comprised or 'hacked' (as the last alert stated) any time I order something from eBay, Boards and Bits, etc. I love browsing the online auctions here on BGG, but honestly, I never bid because I either have to wait for the mailed confirmation slip to arrive in my mailbox to reinstate my account, or I'm just weary of having to deal with PayPal. Is this standard? My girlfriend has used PayPal for years and has never once had her account put into question. Their concern is appreciated to a degree, but come on... Every. Single. Time. Yeesh.

Ok... done ranting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
www.paypalsucks.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had a problem. Perhaps your credit was downgraded at one point in your life and had flagged your account??

Should check you credit history and see if there is anything you can do to improve it. It may eliminate the issues. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto - never had a problem.

I have a few issues with ebay (seller restrictions thanks to a couple of buyers who seem to think you should be able to deliver the goods the day before they won the auction!) but Paypal has been fine for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar issue with my account getting locked down to some "security issue". I faxed them some documents via an online fax service proving my address. Then when it happened again I called them, explained, and my account was reinstated with all the bells and whistles immediately.

I found that actually calling and talking to a person at Paypal was a lot more effective in fixing the problem, and prevented it from happening again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasss333 wrote:
Never had a problem. Perhaps your credit was downgraded at one point in your life and had flagged your account??

Should check you credit history and see if there is anything you can do to improve it. It may eliminate the issues. Good luck.

Same, never really had a problem...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8500+ transactions, never a problem. PayPal is a banking/credit system, and like credit cards and banks, if you don't have consistent history, your credit is 1/valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
been using PayPal singe the beginning, never a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasss333 wrote:

The problem the OP has and is experiencing with Paypal is related to Paypal's website security.

Gerbil_filet wrote:
I just don't understand that they feel like my account is being comprised or 'hacked' (as the last alert stated) any time I order something from eBay, Boards and Bits, etc.
Ok... done ranting.

As it was explained to me by the Paypal rep, they have certain triggers that will lock your account that have nothing to do with your credit. It has a lot to do with DNS, use patterns, and purchase history.

Unfortunately, in Paypal's war against hackers their are some innocent casualties. The good news though is its usually not fatal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jasss333 wrote:

PayPal has no access to your credit information whatsoever. His problems have nothing to do with credit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thing happen about 6 or 7 years ago I guess it was, turned out that there was something on my credit that was incorrect, and I got flagged somehow. Once it was corrected I was free and clear and paypal has worked fine ever since with no problems.

You should do like the original reply said and get your credit and see if there is something funky on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
damiangerous wrote:
jasss333 wrote:

PayPal has no access to your credit information whatsoever. His problems have nothing to do with credit.

That's just not true. You definitely provide them with enough information for them to be able to run a credit check on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
That's just not true. You definitely provide them with enough information for them to be able to run a credit check on you.

You need a Social Security number to run an accurate credit check. I certainly didn't give PayPal that information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I can verify that it isn't my credit - my credit rating is consistently pretty good. My guess is that I'm not a frequent user and when I do make a purchase using PayPal, it appears as an irregularity and I get locked down. I'm not sure if that means I ought to be buying more or just say to heck with it and just not buy whenever it comes to having to pay with PayPal (which can be unfortunate in some cases).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use paypal a lot for stuff, and I don't have a problem. But I have linked my bank account to the paypal account, not my credit card. This gives me a different experience with regards to fees and how much they trust me vs. person who just supplied a credit card for the account.

That's the only differing factor from person to person, except for usage. If you are a jet setting type person, then perhaps they don't like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm that's a good point. I don't have a credit card tied to my account at all, I have PayPal linked to a separate savings account that I don't use for everyday banking (I don't want them to decide they need to take out my paycheck for security reasons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dian
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another website serve.com (part of American Express) that's trying to compete with Paypal.... without much success.. I have an account, but no one else seems to have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dwolla is a similar (but different) service that's been surprisingly successful behind the scenes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dmk11 wrote:
There's another website serve.com (part of American Express) that's trying to compete with Paypal.... without much success.. I have an account, but no one else seems to have one.

I wasn't aware of that one. There's someone else with an account now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbil_filet wrote:
Hmm that's a good point. I don't have a credit card tied to my account at all, I have PayPal linked to a separate savings account that I don't use for everyday banking (I don't want them to decide they need to take out my paycheck for security reasons).

Are you sure the bank isn't the one causing the issue? It's unusual to have a savings account tied to paypal because many savings accounts have withdrawal limits. I don't understand the paycheck reference; only you decide when to use money in your checking account. I suspect that if you changed paypal to use your checking account this issue would go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every one of my sales on eBay has had the proceeds frozen for a few weeks by Paypal.

My credit score is about as high as is possible, so it's not that.

The infuriating part is that Paypal keeps sending me emails saying I've proved myself, and they won't freeze my proceeds ever again. Next sale, the money's frozen as usual.

I can understand why Paypal may freeze a newbie. But it's ridiculous that they do so not only to someone whose first sale was a few years ago, but also after they state they won't freeze my proceeds any longer.

Lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stockdale
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbil_filet wrote:
my account has limits placed on it and I have to re-verify that I am who I say I am. To make matters all the more frustrating, I don't own a land-line phone (and I'm not willing to buy a phone and pay $40 to $60 a month just so I can occasionally shop using PayPal). and so I have to wait several days for a mailed confirmation to arrive in my postal box.

This is currently happening to me and its really annoying. At one point I called them and was told, "oh that's by a back office, I have no ability to take that off or tell you why they put it and you can't call them directly, you can only email them." Now I have to fax them something so I can confirm that I live where I say even though I've had a paypal account for years and years and been living at my current address and using paypal for the last three years. Kind of annoyed with them and their lack of answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what you don' realize, or have considered, is that the reason it is getting frozen is the other party of the transaction: their patterns, reliability, and track record equally affect the proceeds from them in your account.

edelen wrote:
Every one of my sales on eBay has had the proceeds frozen for a few weeks by Paypal.

My credit score is about as high as is possible, so it's not that.

The infuriating part is that Paypal keeps sending me emails saying I've proved myself, and they won't freeze my proceeds ever again. Next sale, the money's frozen as usual.

I can understand why Paypal may freeze a newbie. But it's ridiculous that they do so not only to someone whose first sale was a few years ago, but also after they state they won't freeze my proceeds any longer.

Lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

Weaksauce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Well, what you don' realize, or have considered, is that the reason it is getting frozen is the other party of the transaction: their patterns, reliability, and track record equally affect the proceeds from them in your account.

Not only that, but you'll never know if your account name is part of a low-intensity brute force attack on many accounts.

You'll never know how many attempts on your username were made from some botnet or other part of the world prior to your successful login.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.