Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

My search in the forums did not yield much insight about two questions that came up after a few sessions of Descent 2.

1. can the Wildlander skill "Nimble" be used, when a large monster is put next to the character - example the large monster ends its movement two spaces away, but then is placed adjacent to the hero. The rules I am referring to is (top page 16, 2nd column): The monster is only considered to have entered the one space in which it ended its movement.

2. When the large monster interrupts its move action to attack and is placed on the board, for the second part of its move action, do I have to count from the very same space, where I ended the first part of the move action, or can I "restart" by chosing another space currently occupied by the large monster?
This could "squeeze" out up to two additional spaces of movement for a Shadowdragon... (obviously I was the Overlord).

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
2. When the large monster interrupts its move action to attack and is placed on the board, for the second part of its move action, do I have to count from the very same space, where I ended the first part of the move action, or can I "restart" by chosing another space currently occupied by the large monster?
This could "squeeze" out up to two additional spaces of movement for a Shadowdragon... (obviously I was the Overlord).

It could squeeze out an infinite amount of movement, depending on how ridiculous you want to get about when and how you're allowed to "interrupt" your movement. In other words, in the hands of a rules lawyer, the interpretation that lets you select a new start space for movement during interruption leads to chaos and madness. For that reason, I and several other of the more sane people on this forum, have chose to interpret as you describe: that once you start moving, you have to always use that same space to move from, even if you interrupt your movement. That leads to no inconsistencies and a fair game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
1. can the Wildlander skill "Nimble" be used, when a large monster is put next to the character - example the large monster ends its movement two spaces away, but then is placed adjacent to the hero. The rules I am referring to is (top page 16, 2nd column): The monster is only considered to have entered the one space in which it ended its movement.

Of course you can use Nimble. I agree with you that the rules say you can't. But *expletive* that rule, it's too dumb to live.

Quote:

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards

I think you have this one right, each interruption to movement can gain a Shadow Dragon 2 spaces of movement. This is an unfortunate rule because it has an odd effect (moving further) not connected with its cause (interrupting movement) and makes us wonder just what an interrupt is exactly. Can a Knight hero doing a Guard cause more movement? Can a Thief doing Caltrops cause more movement? Can a Wildlander doing Nimble cause more movement?

The whole mess would be avoided if interruptions couldn't get you more movement. And the rules aren't overly precise in this area, so maybe the FAQ will save us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input.

Of course I would not interrupt infinity times...

On a side note: put into question my sanity or calling me dumb straight away does not really help.

On another side note I find the rulebook for Descent 2 very good compared to many other FFG rulebooks most recently (with the exception of Gears of War) ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play the interrupt are "normal" interrupts. Attacking, opening doors, being attacked, are all legal interrupts. At that point put the figure on the board, then when you restart movement start from any square. It keeps the "unlimited" interrupts but keeps the feel we think was intended.

As for Nimble, it only happens when the large monster moves into the space (i.e. the shrunk monster). The only issue we have is the paradox this sometimes makes. What if the Nimble movement moves into a space that now make s the monster not able to expand (all spaces are not open now)? He nimbled there because the monster moved there, but now he can't expand so the monster could not move there, but that's only because he nimbled, etc...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
So summarizing, we all think the rules lead to effects that don't make sense, but they're rather clear and pretty clearly lead to those counter-intuitive effects?

(On an unrelated note, Dragon's Breath - I was wrong, sorry!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
On a side note: put into question my sanity or calling me dumb straight away does not really help.

I did neither of those things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
So summarizing, we all think the rules lead to effects that don't make sense

I don't think that's true. I think we all recognize that some rules are ambiguous. But some people for some reason have chosen the interpretation which leads to less sensible effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who like playing by the rules.

Q: Can Wildlander use a 'Nimble' skill when monster is 'expanding' to adjacent space (in order to attack Wildlander) and didn't actually used movement point to enter that space?
Adam Sadler wrote:
No, the Wildlander cannot use Nimble in that situation because the monster only technically enters the one space chosen before it expands.

Thanks,
Adam Sadler
Managing Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule is one of these rules which makes me to want not playing by the rules.

Sorry for possible mistakes but I hope this is understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do as you like, but how do you determine when a shrunk monster has entered a space "adjacent" to you if the OL is still counting single spaces? Check and see if there are enough spaces near you for it to fit? Is it your decision or the Overlord's which extra spaces the shrunk monster in habits? And can you then move into one of those spaces to deny it a spot to stop, when it would normally be able to move farther?

Seems like it could cause more problems than it solves, and make movement an unreasonable pain for the OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignipes doesn't want to determine where monster is while the OL is counting spaces and the monster is shrunk. But when the monster EXPANDS right now OL can easily abuse this rule to stand adjacent to any hero and avoid their "when the monster enters space adjacent to you" skills.

Anyway, it just mean heroes will have harder time determining their placement if players play like rules say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so this only refers to when they stop and expand and/or interrupt their own movement to attack? That makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignipes wrote:
This rule is one of these rules which makes me to want not playing by the rules.

There are such things as "house rules". Many a game is only semi-fun until you house rule it and then it's very fun. It's your game, play it as you deem the best way to play

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.