Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook it sates the following:

"As it can be checked in the map, there are two poleis which can only be reached by sea movement: Epidamnos
and Abdera (because they don’t have territory where the Proxenos might travel to them)"

Does this means that the Proxenos can not enter in this region by land from Akarnania and Makedonia? I don't understand why.

Another question regarding to the Proxenos movement, can he combine land and sea movement like the hoplites?

Please, help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cristian...

About the first question about the Proxenos. Yes, you´re right, the Proxenos cannot enter from Makedonia or Akarnania, he can only enter by sea. The reason is thematic... Epidamnos and Abdera were two Poleis surrounded by mountains and it was very difficult to reach by land (this is the V Century BC).

The second question. More or less, the Proxenos movement is very similar to the hoplites movement but he cannot combine two kinds of movement. He moves from Polis to Polis, so he has two options:
1.- Move from Polis to Polis by sea (paying silver for any enemy galley).
2.- Move from Polis to Polis by land (paying silver for any enemy hoplite).

An example: By sea: The Athenian Proxenos is in Athenai and he wants to move to Samos. First, he moves to Kyklades then to Sporades and he would finish his movement in Samos.

By land: The Athenian Proxenos wants to move to Argos. He crosses Attika, then Megaris (going to Korinthos) and finish his movement in Argos.

For example, he cannot do the following movement: Starting in Athenai goes to Pydna in Makedonia (crossing Kyklades and Thrakiko Pelagos) and then from Pydna goes to Naupaktos in Thessalia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That's it.

Both are the two special poleis that don't belong to a territory, so they don't make you able to tax a territory, they only make you able to trade always with Illyria and Thraki and begin Statues.

As the Proxenos moves between polis, Abdera and Epidamnos can only be reached by sea and only taken by civil war by the Proxenos (not by siege)

Be careful: Movement is by land or by sea, and with hoplites rules states "you may combine both movements" because you may move more than 1 unit combining both kinds, but each movement is by land or by sea. (In example, you may move 2 hoplites by land and 3 by sea). But when you move the Proxenos (which of course it's only 1 unit) you must choose between land or sea movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fran beats me to it!

It´s exactly how Fran has said.

For example, one hoplite cannot move by sea and then by land in the same movement. But for example, if you have several hoplites, some can go by land and others can go by sea.

For example, you want to move your hoplites to Makedonia... You have 2 hoplites in Attika and 2 in Thessalia. You could move the hoplites from Attika by sea, and the hoplites in Thessalia by land...

But, for example, an hoplite cannot enter the sea, arriving to a territory and then continues moving by land to enter in another territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This is what I call a great rules clarification service! Thank you guys.

Nalekh wrote:
That's it.

Both are the two special poleis that don't belong to a territory, so they don't make you able to tax a territory, they only make you able to trade always with Illyria and Thraki and begin Statues.

As the Proxenos moves between polis, Abdera and Epidamnos can only be reached by sea and only taken by civil war by the Proxenos (not by siege)

By the way I didn't know that I can't siege those two cities (Maybe I have to read the rulebook once more), That means also that is absolutely worthless sending hoplites there, even it's not possible to capture the other player's Proxen there?

Congratulations to

Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb

for designing Polis! I played a couple of rounds in Festival Intenacional de Cordoba 2011 with a prototype that Asylum Games brought there, disgracefully I couldn't finish the game because it was the last day and I had to drive back to join with my family in Seville, but I knew I had to preorder it to continue exploring this intriguing game!

Good luck and I hope a lot of BGGeeks dicover this gem.
Cristian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bravucon wrote:

By the way I didn't know that I can't siege those two cities (Maybe I have to read the rulebook once more), That means also that is absolutely worthless sending hoplites there, even it's not possible to capture the other player's Proxen there?

That is! The hoplites can´t be moved to Abdera or Epidamnos (the cities don´t have territory). It is clear if you see the Action "Create Hoplites" in the page 6, these cities can only make galleys because they don´t have territory.

Thanks Cristian! I think the Fran´s work is excellent, it´s a 10! Involved, hard-working...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
decanox wrote:
bravucon wrote:

That is! The hoplites can´t be moved to Abdera or Epidamnos (the cities don´t have territory). It is clear if you see the Action "Create Hoplites" in the page 6, these cities can only make galleys because they don´t have territory.

BTW, that was also a sentence that intrigued me! Now things start to click!

Tomorrow I have settle a game with a friend, let's see how I explain the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck Cristian!

No, seriously, Polis could be difficult to explain the first time, because there are 12 possible actions, maybe the first turns could be difficult but then, I think, you see all and Polis is easier than it really seems...

The essence:
- The player has to play two different actions per turn. You can play the turns you want, and if one player passes, the other player can continue playing but paying one (and any) resource.
- The round limits the number of hoplites/galleys you can have in a territory/sea. It limits the trade also, for example in round 3, you can only trade in the 3 spaces, in the round 4, in the 3 and 4 spaces, and so on.

If you understand this and how the actions work, and most of them are really easy: for example, creation and Proxeno actions are very easy. Maybe the Trade Action and the movement with the majority mechanism are the most difficult... But with this you have understood Polis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.