Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I got into board games about a year ago. We have played Arkham Horror, Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Dungeon Quest, and have just now started Super Dungeon Explore.

During this past year, I have bought many more games than I have had time to play. I did this on purpose since soon I am going to retire and I thought it best to gather up all the games I could while I have the money to “waste”.

So now, I have the problem of trying to decide what order to play all these games – we mostly love Fantasy/Dungeon Crawl type games, so I am going to ask a question about those only –

Here is a list of some of the unplayed fantasy/dungeon crawl/RPG games I have: (I have other themed games, will save them for another thread someday.)

Runewars
Tailisman 4th Ed
Descent 2nd Ed
Earth Reborn
Choastle
Claustraphobia
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
Castle Panic + Wizard’s Tower
Mage Knight: Board Game
Summoner Wars
Defenders of the Realm
Game of Thrones: The Board Game

My question is what order do I learn to play these in? My MAIN criteria is complexity/difficulty of learning. I am not really concerned at this point which ones are “better” than the others – I am going to play them all eventually, so complexity is my issue. My wife (and me to some extent), would prefer to move along from the simpler to the complex. Since we have been board gaming for only about a year, we don’t want to be overwhelmed too fast.

We are going to be playing all of these as 2 Player - so I understand, with some of the games, one of us will have to play more than one Character. We don't have a problem with that as we usually play 2-3 characters each with Ravenloft/WoA and Arkham Horror with no problems.

Suggestions?

Thank You!

-Sargonkid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the chanting masses...

Mage Knight Board Game
Mage Knight Board Game
Mage Knight Board Game
Mage Knight Board Game
Mage Knight Board Game

*Edit: If you learn this one first, you'll either find a gem of a game or be able to sell it.*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars and Claustrophobia meet your criteria the best. There's also Castle Panic, but it's not as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based off your requirements I have ordered them this way. but many of them are similar in difficulty. Just a different kind of difficulty.

Castle Panic + Wizard’s Tower
Summoner Wars
Claustrophobia
Descent 2nd Ed
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
Defenders of the Realm
Runewars
Game of Thrones: The Board Game
Mage Knight: Board Game
Earth Reborn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few of those games (and I had fun with those few)...if I was playing 'em in order of my personal preference I'd go:

Mage Knight
Defenders of the Realm
Summoner Wars
Talisman
Dungeon Twister

If I was playing in order of simplicity (rules), I'd go with:

Talisman
Summoner Wars
Defenders of the Realm
Dungeon Twister
Mage Knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
may I suggest you play them in order of their release?

My thinking is that you'll learn the evolution of game concepts rather than getting the games in the right order. Earlier games might be muddled in their execution but later games will take those concepts and streamline them.

You'll also be less disappointed by older games if you play them first. They may be more ham-fisted, complicated or unclear in their rules. They may be a little "simpler" or "quaint", if you get my drift.

My guess is you'll come away with a better appreciation of the newer games after you go all Shaolin and kick it old-school for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play them in order of interest or order of complexity. Order of release is not as relevant. Great choice of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abravenewgeek wrote:
Play them in order of interest or order of complexity. Order of release is not as relevant. Great choice of games!

"Great choice of games"?

Probably not a coincidence since I have been selecting games based on this and other forums. I have bought about one game a week over the last year, and do have quite a collection now.

While I do realize that the same game can be both loved and hated at the same time even by the SAME person (ie, Arkham Horror), I have noticed, good or bad, the games that have the most threads and posts seem to be good candidates for me to have bought.

Games that stir controversy (ie, large thread counts of rules/general/reviews) seem to be games that are actually pretty good for me. I am guessing this is because a large number of people seem to “care” about certain games more than others. And the ones people “care” about intrigue me.

Arkham Horror and Dungeon Quest are great examples of this. AH in particular is fiddly, cumbersome, fatalistic and rules-weird. However, I LOVE the game as others do, and I HATE the game as others do. I am sooooo drawn to it. Dungeon Quest is just ridiculous in its futility and luck factor that I can’t stay away from it. Normally I loathe luck-heavy games, but some, I am just really drawn to it anyway. The wife and I laugh a lot with both games. (I guess that’s why they are “fun” for us?)

-SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.