Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a strategy in choosing which tile to cover up with building a residence? When I first started playing I would usually cover a pink tile that matched whatever resources my other buildings produced, the idea being that if people wanted that resource, they would have to use my building (and give me a point). However, as I play more, I'm starting to realize that I can end up creating shortage of resources which, later, hurt me. I'm also starting to realize that being able to use my own building for a one coin cost has its benefits, so maybe I don't want to incenitivise people to use my buildings. Now its gotten to the point where I feel like I'm overthinking the decision. So what strategies, if any, do you have when choosing what tile to bury when putting a residence on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Beit Shemesh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually cover whatever my buildings produce. Sometimes covering the market is important if you are trying to pressure money heavily and the wooden market is not built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wessels
United States
California
flag msg tools
In 3+ player, you should usually cover the resource that your stone farm produces (e.g. if you have ssc farm cover the stone - that way stone is scarcer, but not scare for you!).

In 2 player, the decision is much tougher. Of the 6 pink tiles, there are only four good spaces (the weak market and carpenter aren't usually good spaces to go). Residences are usually built in phase 2 and in phase 2, passing last is very important (because the player who passes last controls the provost). When covering pink buildings you want to predict how the turn will go and make sure there are enough spaces so that you won't have to take a bad square (weak market, weak peddler, losing in castle, etc) in order to get to pass last. If covering a pink resource tile (good square) will force you to take a bad square, you should cover weak market or carpenter. If covering a resource cube will force your opponent to take a bad square, you should cover a resource cube.

It's a tough exercise, but the most important strategy when deciding which pink to cover. Other than that, if I have the stone farm I cover stone (so it's hard for my opponent to get stone) and if I have two farms I try to cover as many cubes as possible (not the carpenter or the weak market).

Hope this helps! Sorry it's so complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. So, apparently I'm not overthinking it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wessels
United States
California
flag msg tools
Haha. In reality this doesn't make that big of a difference (especially if you're not one of the top players). But you asked, so I thought I would answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just to add a quick, belated thought: If you are on the building track you have a way of building which does not require wood or stone for brown and gray buildings respectively. In this case you should feel free to make that resource scarce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.