• [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why? In what way is it curmudgeonly? Or are you a curmudgeon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the word strategy but I feel it's being overused in this genre to the point where it's meaningless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one thing to do... grab the thesaurus!

Quote:
Definition:

plan of action

Synonyms:

action, angle, approach, artifice, blueprint*, brainchild, craft, cunning, design, game, game plan, gimmick, grand design, layout, maneuvering, method, plan, planning, policy, procedure, program, project, proposition, racket, scenario, scene, scheme, setup, slant, story, subtlety, system, tactics

Hmmm, maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you feel about strategery?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a word that has collected more synonyms than a grooming brush collects cat hair. Makes it a bit of "slut" word, come to think it.

You have to be careful to indicate your context, when using it, or it does end up meaning little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
Or are you a curmudgeon?

That's probably the issue here.

"Strategy" has just as much meaning for me as "strategery" at this point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem with the word strategy is often used incorrectly. A strategy is a plan of action that you use when starting a game. In The Princes of Florence players may use the Joker strategy. Strategies can be changed during game play but they still remain the big picture NOT the smaller choices and decisions made during the game.

When a publisher uses the term "a strategy game" I think they use it somewhat incorrectly. Having choices and limitations and decisions to make does not make the game a game of strategy. Strategy is something the individual decides upon. Hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
I think the problem with the word strategy is often used incorrectly. A strategy is a plan of action that you use when starting a game. In The Princes of Florence players may use the Joker strategy. Strategies can be changed during game play but they still remain the big picture NOT the smaller choices and decisions made during the game.

When a publisher uses the term "a strategy game" I think they use it somewhat incorrectly. Having choices and limitations and decisions to make does not make the game a game of strategy. Strategy is something the individual decides upon. Hope that makes sense.

That's the typical definition of it in relation to gaming. But, I think "adhering to XYZ principles" is also strategic. The tactics vs. strategy discussion is tiresome for me now.

My overall strategy is going to inform my tactical decisions. I understand it gets confusing when gamers approach from different extremes... say 18xx versus Magic: The Gathering.

The term is equally valid in both cases. I think it's really the time frame between meaningful and earth-shattering decisions that people are quibbling about. In Magic, I may make 10 game breaking decisions in a 20 minute match. In 18xx, I may make 15 game breaking decisions in a 3 hour game. I'm pulling numbers out of the air there.

Your mileage my vary from game to game. None of these classifications are working for me. Strategy. Family Game. Gateway Game. Euro Game. They need a reboot.

I am a curmudgeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think we need some term to address "the totality of choices the player makes in a game", and since I do not know a better word, I use the word strategy for that. Of course, this usage is different from the usage when one compares (long-term) strategy with (short-term) tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Clive65 wrote:

That's the typical definition of it in relation to gaming. But, I think "adhering to XYZ principles" is also strategic. The tactics vs. strategy discussion is tiresome for me now.

My overall strategy is going to inform my tactical decisions. I understand it gets confusing when gamers approach from different extremes... say 18xx versus Magic: The Gathering.

The term is equally valid in both cases. I think it's really the time frame between meaningful and earth-shattering decisions that people are quibbling about. In Magic, I may make 10 game breaking decisions in a 20 minute match. In 18xx, I may make 15 game breaking decisions in a 3 hour game. I'm pulling numbers out of the air there.

Your mileage my vary from game to game. None of these classifications are working for me. Strategy. Family Game. Gateway Game. Euro Game. They need a reboot.

I am a curmudgeon.

How would you start rebooting them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:

How would you start rebooting them?

That's a job for someone else. I will just whine about it in the meantime. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawn_cherri wrote:
Agree they possibly need a reboot but also agree is it worth the effort and disruption?

My philosophy is that disruption is always worth the effort. This next statement is a bit extreme for a board game discussion, but:

"Complacency is the devil."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the term Euro...many games come out of Europe and they are not all Euros!!! shake
Many are coming out of North America does that make them Namericans? meeple

Let me join the curmudgeon club!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
I don't like the term Euro...many games come out of Europe and they are not all Euros!!! shake

Meanings change over time, to some extent. Euro game as well all know no longer means "game from Europe" but simply "game fashioned in the same stylings, roughly, as the stereotypical games that were coming out of Europe in the 90's and early 2000's". Or something close to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it gets confusing also because "strategy game" really tends to mean "game with interesting decisions" without regard to whether those decisions are technically strategic or tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's days like this that I wish Google's 'contextbot' worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I think it gets confusing also because "strategy game" really tends to mean "game with interesting decisions" without regard to whether those decisions are technically strategic or tactical.

Or sometimes... if those decisions are even "interesting"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
Clive65 wrote:

Meanings change over time, to some extent. Euro game as well all know no longer means "game from Europe" but simply "game fashioned in the same stylings, roughly, as the stereotypical games that were coming out of Europe in the 90's and early 2000's". Or something close to that.

I know - I was just being a curmudgeon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Just thought I would share that...

It's curmudgeonly.
So... You like to use the curmudgeon strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sequella Deville
msg tools
So is there no strategy in your upcoming game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The word strategy is used in gaming circles in a very broad way, so that making any interesting decisions in a skillful way in a board game counts as "strategy". Regardless of the question whether this usage blurs the original meaning of the word, I support the broad usage, since it describes a thing a board gamer wants to have a name for.

For example, it is nice to have a short term "Strategy" for strategy sections in rule booklets. If we start nitpicking, what should they be called? Strategy and tactics sections? Or perhaps only tactics sections for those games that involve only tactics? Or skillful play -sections?

This of course means that almost all board games can be called strategy games. But when classifying games other than board games, this broad sense is useful. For example, petangue could be called a game of strategy and accuracy, since when you decide how to throw your ball, you encounter choices that are similar to choices in board games, whereas ten-pin bowling could not be called a game of strategy and accuracy, since there are no such choices in ten-pin bowling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the word "curmudgeonly".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Kind of an important term in historical war games, but I guess it board games it can certainly be used to death
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the pages of history it will explain the way spiritual people abused the word ‘energy’. Next it will talk about board-gamers and the word ’strategy’.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.