5 Posts

Proud Monster Deluxe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How should each side be setting up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Vesalius
Canada
flag msg tools
So I'm starting a game on Cyberboard with my friend (We both own a copy), but both of us are new to a) this game, b) world war II, and c)war-games of this scale.

We can both follow the instructions to set it up (1941 historical), but When it comes down to making strategic choices, we are both completely in the dark. I've seen plenty of general strategy on Consimworld, but haven't found anything about initial set-up for either side!

So if anyone could offer some nice tips for either side setting up, my friend and I would find it super helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schindler
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things. The folder on Consim World has lots of ideas.

Russians

1. Try to set up the more valuable Russian units to avoid the first turn onslaught. Those are the motorized divisions. The German will go after them for they are some of the strongest Russian units on the board, in 1941 and they are not replaced.

2. If you can, this is a big if, try no to get surrounded. Since there are no ZOC's in the game, one small hole can help to move some units out. Make the German work.

3. I put some strong units in the Stalin line hexes. They are surrounded in the first turn, usually. If the German leaves a weak unit next to the hex for defending, I will attack it to destroy or force a step reduction. You will not know your attack strength but it is worth it sometime to force a German loss. By occupying the Stalin line hexes, your force the German to to keep units away from the front a few turns.

4. The game is won and lost by points. Try to hold on to those points as long as possible, but realize you will lose them. Just keep the German behind in points as the game goes on. It is a real balancing act. Don't use to much force to defend, you will need your unis else where. The Russian dead pile will get huge fast.

5. On the turn before replaces and reinforcements, move units out of cities and HQ areas that you want to move units into. This allows you to create a new defense stack in the reinforcement hexes. Try to keep a few units in the RVGK area. They will come in handy.

6. Watch the logistics for the German. The "urban" hexes create the supply chain. Check to see where the city, large town, and small towns are. Those small towns can open areas up for the German to advance though. One spot to watch on the map is the Pripet Marshes. Other games, you can just pass this one by. A smart German can go though the marsh an threaten your flanks, if he gets the urban hexes. I will usually leave at least one or two unit(s) in each hex in a small town to force the German to deal with it. Got give urban hexes away!!

7. Keep an eye out for making counter attacks. You will lose more than the German, but you need to get losses on the German so you can increase your stacking levels later on. I also attack the German allied units when I can, because they either can not be replaced, or they are very limited in when they can come back.

8. The Southern front is a little more balanced in the first few turns for the Russians. Once you start to retreat there are no real defense positions for quite a distance. Send some non-infantry units with good movement points. You will need to move units a lot. Infantry units are just to slow in some areas.

The Germans.

1. Keep an eye on the Stalin line hexes!! Do not let them re-gain supply. Stave them out in 3 turns. Cover the ZOMO area. It is behind the line and could be a real pain to hunt the unit(s) down should they get in the ZOMO.

2. Try to get over whelming attacks odds when you mobile assault or prepare assault. A Russian stack with just a few stacking points will not force a loss on the Germans. You can do this as the Russian stacking is just 3 units. So take advantage of it for as long as possible.

3. As you create your armor mobile assault stacks, make sure what unit(s) have to take a loss should one be needed. Some German mobile units can not be rebuilt. Be careful with the German armor.

4. As you pocket Russian units, make part of the maneuver, capturing urban hexes. Keep a supply chain intact. If you are OSS you are halved for everything. That can be a killer in the wrong spot.

General Ideas.

With the amount of stuff going on in the game you will make mistakes. Hang on, you will get better.

Learn the capabilities of each unit type and try to get the most out of it.

DRM means dry rain mud, this one drives me crazy, but that's the way the rules are written.

I printed out a set of rules to mark up and make notes. I also put the page number where the rule is found on the table of contents. It saves a bunch of page turning. Example, 6.0 stacking is page 11, 7.0 Axis Minor Allies in page 12.

There is much more to this game, but this should get you started. Just have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
good details learnt more about the game in this post than scanning a 100 aimless posts in CSW. THANKS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest idea if you are just starting out is to set it up and try some moves and combats and see what works and what does not work. The first week is something that can be played over a few times, just to learn what is possible and what is not possible, for both sides.

For example, a bad Soviet setup will allow the Axis to win in one week by taking the closest 4 VP hexes. So you need to set up so that at least 1 of these 4 hexes cannot be taken during the first week.

A bad Axis setup and first week will allow Soviet units into the Germany ZOMO, ANY possibility of this happening on the first week should be thwarted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.