Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
With all 4 of the expansion previews now available it seemed like there was enough info to take a shot at squad building. I was curious to see what you could fit into a 100 point squad. First the Rebels:

I am a big Y-Wing fan and knew I would take one of those. We only have the point value for Horton Salm available, so he was the default choice. The Ion Turret seems brilliant, so that gets added in, and Horton's ability seems made for Proton Torpedoes, so he gets 2 of those as well. R5-K6 helps maintain target locks, which seems good for using those Proton Torpedoes.

After the Y-Wing there is 60 Points to spend on X-Wings. Not quite enough for 3 Rookie X-Wings, which means 2 X-Wings to go with the Y-Wing. Just for fun, I decided to go with Luke and Biggs. Luke gets R2, because I am a fanboy, and Marksmanship will help him kill off TIEs more quickly. The leftover points are just enough for Biggs.

Y-Wing
Horton Salm - 25
Ion Cannon Turret - 5
2x Proton Torpedoes - 8
R5-K6 - 2
40 Points

X-Wing
Luke Skywalker - 28
R2-D2 - 4
Marksmanship - 3
35 Points

X-Wing
Biggs Darklighter - 25

Almost half of the points are tied up in 1 Y-Wing, which seems excessive. I think I would likely prefer a less expensive Y-Wing option with an ability that didn't want me to load it down with Torpedoes. Still, it gives me an idea of what you can do with a 100 point rebel squad. You could probably squeeze in 4 ships, but they would be low-skill with few upgrades and you are still likely to be outnumbered by the Imperials.

For the Imperials I decided to bring Darth Vader and as many TIEs as I felt I could manage. Darth gets Squad Leader, as he seems pretty much made for it, and some Concussion Missiles. (The Cluster Missiles seem good, but would be much better against the Imperials) Howl Runner with Swarm Tactics will help bump up the skill level of your other TIEs and then the rest was filled out with as many TIEs as I could muster.

TIE Advanced
Darth Vader - 29
Squad Leader - 2
Concussion Missiles - 4
35 Points

TIE Fighter
Howl Runner - 18
Swarm tactics - 2
20 Points

TIE Fighter
Mauler Mithel - 17
17 Points

TIE Fighter
Black Squadron Pilot - 15
15 Points

TIE Fighter
Obsidian Squadron Pilot - 13
13 Points

5 TIEs total guarantees that I will outnumber the Rebels and I have enough high skill pilots to really control the flow of battle (I assume). I don't think it would be hard to fit in 6 TIEs at all, but without playing it will be hard to know what works better.

So, what do we think??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, we think that maybe 1 core set and 1 each of the expansions won't be enough for we.

We was already considering buying an extra tie fighter which would give we the ability to play the game you've setup above and now you've convinced we

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your builds are similar to the ones I have tried. I will be getting 2 starters and 6 boosters (X, 2Ys, TIE, 2Adv.) next Thursday and will spend sometime that day designing a force for Friday's tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure somebody will field the "I have eight academy pilot TIEs and I'm not afraid to use them" fleet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
4 copies of the game will give you 4 Academy Pilots and 4 Black Squadron Pilots which perfectly adds up to 100....

For Imperials, I really think there's a lot of power behind Vader + Swarm Tactics and an Academy Pilot. Howlrunner with a similar setup is probably a fine addition as well. Assuming there's 6 named Imperial pilots in the starter, I think the rest has a lot to do with what they do.

For the Rebels, with only 5 upgrades in the core game, I think we've got a better idea than I realized of what options they have. I'm not sure if I'm sold on Proton Torpedoes at 4 points. X-Wings do similar damage already at range 1 and outside of that, its a question of whether you gain much over using the lock for a reroll. Expert Handling seems quite beneficial overall, though with Marksmanship feeling quite overpriced, I'm kind of thinking there may be more potential behind Wedge with Swarm and a Rookie than I thought. I really want to see what the other Astromech droids do, as right now I think only R2 is worth it. Of course, some of these abilities you're going to add on to the Rebels simply because you're pretty well set on running 3 ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
so is X2 copies of the base game enough for 2 people to play a solid game that is fairly balanced?

This game just looks like a better version of Wings of War with an awesome Star Wars theme so I am completely sold in that regard. Also the minis are so nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:
so is X2 copies of the base game enough for 2 people to play a solid game that is fairly balanced?

This game just looks like a better version of Wings of War with an awesome Star Wars theme so I am completely sold in that regard. Also the minis are so nice!

I don't know what you mean by "solid", but I felt that one core gave me a lot of replayability. Between the missions and the limited squad building, there are hours of games available with the core set and it's a great way to start getting familiar with movement strategy, like understanding how your fighter will move with different speeds. People highly underestimate how much meat there is in a single core. It's not like the old Wizards of the Coast Star Wars Miniatures starters that gave you a taste of a game. Those were like buying a demo. This one is like buying an actual game that you can blow up to epic proportions with more expansions, if you so desire.

If you want more versatility in squad-building, you'll need either some expansions or a second core. Personally, I think buying one of each expansion does more for opening up game possibilities than buying a second core, but I ended up buying a second core and I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
NanoXstatiC wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "solid", but I felt that one core gave me a lot of replayability. Between the missions and the limited squad building, there are hours of games available with the core set and it's a great way to start getting familiar with movement strategy, like understanding how your fighter will move with different speeds. People highly underestimate how much meat there is in a single core. It's not like the old Wizards of the Coast Star Wars Miniatures starters that gave you a taste of a game. Those were like buying a demo. This one is like buying an actual game that you can blow up to epic proportions with more expansions, if you so desire.

If you want more versatility in squad-building, you'll need either some expansions or a second core. Personally, I think buying one of each expansion does more for opening up game possibilities than buying a second core, but I ended up buying a second core and I love it.

By "solid" I ultimately mean what you mean about WoTC starters. They give you a demo but not the real deal at all. Good to hear that FFG has gone the step beyond and really made their core set meaty. It's always hard to tell at a cursory glance if this is true or you're being misled by fan boy hyperbole. I'm the kind of person that wants to expand upon a game almost immediately, having done so day 1 with Netrunner and other games, so I think I made the right choice in opting for X2 core set. I'll probably grab X2 More Tie Fighters and X2 Y Wing soon after they arrive.

Resulting Units:

X2 Advanced Tie
X4 Tie Fighter
X2 X Wing
X2 Y Wing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aronovici
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mb
With one core set and two of each expansions, I am content and feel that I can do every possible outcome of squad building. Perhaps maybe I can/should purchase one more TIE just in case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:
NanoXstatiC wrote:

By "solid" I ultimately mean what you mean about WoTC starters. They give you a demo but not the real deal at all. Good to hear that FFG has gone the step beyond and really made their core set meaty. It's always hard to tell at a cursory glance if this is true or you're being misled by fan boy hyperbole. I'm the kind of person that wants to expand upon a game almost immediately, having done so day 1 with Netrunner and other games, so I think I made the right choice in opting for X2 core set. I'll probably grab X2 More Tie Fighters and X2 Y Wing soon after they arrive.

Resulting Units:

X2 Advanced Tie
X4 Tie Fighter
X2 X Wing
X2 Y Wing

That'll give you a lot to build squads with, but don't forget about the TIE Fighter and X-wing expansions. They have some good pilots that can expand your strategies. As for me, I got two cote sets and one of each expansion, except the Y-wing which I bought two of because I love them so much. As mentioned above, a few extra TIEs doesn't hurt, but with wave two just around the corner, I'm gonna wait and see how I do with one-each of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
NanoXstatiC wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:
NanoXstatiC wrote:

Resulting Units:

X2 Advanced Tie
X4 Tie Fighter
X2 X Wing
X2 Y Wing

That'll give you a lot to build squads with, but don't forget about the TIE Fighter and X-wing expansions. They have some good pilots that can expand your strategies. As for me, I got two cote sets and one of each expansion, except the Y-wing which I bought two of because I love them so much. As mentioned above, a few extra TIEs doesn't hurt, but with wave two just around the corner, I'm gonna wait and see how I do with one-each of those.

I figured with 2 core sets I would already have 2 Tie advanced and 2 X wing as well as standard Tie units. Do the expacs of tie and x wing offer pilots that don't come in the base game or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarek H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

yes,

X-wing expansion exclusively has Wedge Antilles (best rebel pilot, methinks), Garvin Dreis (really cool), R5, & R5-K6. WELL worth picking up. Good to have a third XW too for more build options. Highly recommended.

Tie fighter expansion exclusively has Howlrunner, Backstabber & Winged Gundark. I don't do imperial (co-collecting with a friend), but he hasn't bothered with the tie fighter expansion (yet?), as he's happy with 4 ties from the 2 core sets we split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunjunkie wrote:

yes,

X-wing expansion exclusively has Wedge Antilles (best rebel pilot, methinks), Garvin Dreis (really cool), R5, & R5-K6. WELL worth picking up. Good to have a third XW too for more build options. Highly recommended.

Tie fighter expansion exclusively has Howlrunner, Backstabber & Winged Gundark. I don't do imperial (co-collecting with a friend), but he hasn't bothered with the tie fighter expansion (yet?), as he's happy with 4 ties from the 2 core sets we split.

Howlrunner is probably the best support pilot in the game. She gives a partial target lock to every friendly ship within Range 1, which is huge if you have 5-6 TIE Fighting friends around her.

Backstabber gives the Imperial side their best chance to roll 3-4 attack dice in wave 1 (B'stabber's ability triggers more often than Mauler Mithel's, in my experience).

As mentioned above, Wedge packs the biggest punch in wave 1. Pair him with Biggs to keep him alive a little longer, and/or give him Swarm Tactics to get your hits in before your opponent.

Meanhwhile, the combination of Garven Dreis and Dutch Vander in a 4-ship Rebel build is truly awesome, as your ships can routinely fire with both Focus and Target Lock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.