D B
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

Me and my gaming buddies - a fairly recent congregation of geeks - have built up a small collection of games, but are now leaning towards some evenings when we can play maybe 4 or 5 shorter games. Most I have got (on my profile) tend to be fun but get dragged out. Recently a friend brought King of Tokyo and we had a blast playing a number of rounds on that.

Therefore - what would be a great 4 or 5 game evening (as in different games as opposed to 5 rounds of the same thing). We are generally open to all sorts and like variety. We like strategy. We like random. A good mix and so far we haven't tried anything we didn't have fun with (shorter games so far - Carcassonne, King of Tokyo).

Your suggestions are much appreciated.....

cheers bundles!

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders
Citadels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Jungle Speed
For Sale
Kingdom Builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Golton
United States
East Bay
California
flag msg tools
Pandemic

5-10 minutes to set up, < 30 minutes to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players must the game support? (range?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lennon
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Don't let it be forgot / That once there was a spot/ For one brief, shining moment / That was known as Camelot
mbmbmbmbmb

For Sale +1
7 Wonders +1
Modern Art
6 nimmt!
The Resistance - for large groups

These all play under 60 minutes. Someone suggested Pandemic and that it plays under 30 minutes. It's a great game and I'm sure some people play it that quickly, but with my group its closer to 60 and occasionally as much as 90 min. with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several Card or Dice games then...

San Juan also falls in the 30 min range....but with a max of 4 players though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy plays around 20-30 mins 2-5 players as long as everyone knows what they are doing.

We've had good fun with Guillotine, it's light and fun and everyone groans and laughs a bit.

How about Tichu. It's cheap, it's fun, it's fast. Although it plays best with exactly 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players must the game support? (range?)

We are getting anything from 3 to 8 players - but with quicker games people don't mind sitting one out and watching. It's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant (aka Unnamed Object)
Tsuro
Click Clack Lumberjack
PitchCar Mini
Telestrations
Dixit: Odyssey (along with an expansion or 2)
Catch Phrase! (the electronic version)
6 Nimmt! (aka Category 5)
Trans Europa
No Thanks!
Fairy Tale
Parade
Lost Cities: The Board Game
+1 7 Wonders
+1 For Sale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro is still our default quick game while waiting for people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale / Biblios (I don't think you need both, and I slightly prefer For Sale)
Bohnanza
Race for the Galaxy
Omen: A Reign of War (There are a few 4-player modes included in the box. I'm not sure how long it takes to play with more than 2, but if it's anything like the 2-player game, it should fit the bill)
Unnamed Object

and because these are all card games and I want to share at least one board game proper:
Wiz-War (eighth edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic - keep the ideas coming. I've clearly got a lot to check out and some of the others in my gaming group will be checking on these suggestions. Brilliant - really appreciate the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne - if you play with just the base game it goes pretty fast, usually under 30 minutes.

Shadow Hunters - this game seems to take between 20 and 40 minutes, and it goes up to 8 players which is cool.

BANG! - a quick card game similar to Shadow Hunters, with a more wild west theme. Games can last between 5 minutes and 40 minutes sometimes.

Risk Legacy - ok yeah I know this is a weird thing to throw in here. I love Risk, but hate how long it usually takes to play a game of Risk. However, Risk Legacy games are usually pretty short, between 30 minutes and an hour (at least for my play group). My group usually fits 3 rounds in one game night. It can be slower depending on how cautious people play, but overall it's much shorter than regular Risk.

Small World - This one takes a lot of time to setup and break down, but the game itself goes pretty quickly due to the 10 round limit and short turns. If you have a big group it'll take a bit longer.

Ticket to Ride - Most games of this seem to take around 30 - 45 minutes, at least for the people I play with.

San Juan - decently quick card game that's pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Zinzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic

Mag-Blast

Kung-Fu Fighting

En-Garde

All of these are fast, fun and and can be played with multiple players.

Best,

Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy has a lot of depth and can be played in 30 mins. Don't be swayed by people saying it's too complex...the iconography takes a couple of games to get used to but then it's an awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.