Subject: Cooperative fantasy games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
iarwain
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm looking for good fantasy games that can be played by 2 players in a cooperative (team) fashion. The only game I've ever played like this is Forbidden Island, but that was a very short game, and I'd prefer a longer game. I'd especially like to find a more in-depth RPG-type game. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at:

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

All three are co-op RPG style games and they can be combined as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iarwain
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot! Anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm and World of Warcraft: The Boardgame with the cooperative variant are both a lot of fun for me. WoW does a better job of using RPG elements, but it's a long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Myers
United States
Plymouth
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try Castle Panic it does not have the RPG element you're looking for but it plays very nicely in co op. I find that it is less prone to the one person bossing the others around event happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iarwain
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Is the WOW cooperative variant part of the rules or an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/823/lord-of-the-rings

along with its expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a new one that may be worth checking out:
Mice and Mystics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is worth a look. It's heavier than the other suggestions, which may or may not be a good thing from your perspective, but it is a singularly spectacular experience. Most of the other fantasy games feel unsatisfying to me now (though I still love Descent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories has always been a favourite of mine for cooperative games that simulate RPG. The game is difficult and challenging, but oh so rewarding when you win. Most people connect RPG with your typical DnD/swords/spells/dungeon-crawl type game. Ghost Stories is different. Players are Taoist Monks who use their kung fu abilities defending a village from the reincarnation of an ancient sorcerer/ghost named Wu Feng. The game is excellent with 1 to 4 players, and the White Moon expansion really puts it over the top. Simply one of the best cooperative games out there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iarwain1 wrote:

Neither. I posted a variant in the WOW forums, but, basically, you and your friends play only one side. The game has a "timer" so you must kill off the boss monster before the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Taylor
msg tools
mb
I play Defenders of the Realm with only two players quite a bit. The game is a challenge to beat at first (you really have to work together to have any kind of chance) but it is a great two player co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also enjoyed Defenders of the Realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
iarwain1 wrote:

It's just a variant designed by a guy here on BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92300/cooperative-or-sol...

Essentially, the co-op version is just playing two characters from the same faction, and advancing the turn markers two spaces instead of one each turn. Most of the discussion at the link above is about modifying cards from the event deck. I don't follow those rules. If I draw an event card that won't work with the co-op variant, I just discard it and draw another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iarwain
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Hays
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
iarwain1 wrote:
I'm looking for good fantasy games that can be played by 2 players in a cooperative (team) fashion. The only game I've ever played like this is Forbidden Island, but that was a very short game, and I'd prefer a longer game. I'd especially like to find a more in-depth RPG-type game. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! Thanks!

We are playtesting a fantasy co-op game from VPG called Darkest Night. Even in the playtesting phase, it has shaped up to be a great game. I don't know how long it will take to finish up production of it, but you might want to check it out when it's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find LOTR the card game cumbersome... (I sold it)

You might try Rune Age. Its cooperative. Great artwork and affordable too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yggdrasil
I scanned the replies quickly and didn't see this one mentioned yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.