Subject: Painting Zombicide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Painting [+] Zombicide [+] Miniatures [+] [View All]
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now that people are starting to receive their Kickstarter boxes, I guess I can post this without feeling like much of a jerk.

Anyway, here are my painted survivors:

Mind that I'm not that great a painter, and I went for a very simple style here, with no shading or highlights. I feel the game is very "comic booky" so a flat style seems to work better than a more realistic one.

And to avoid any confusion, these are NOT the special painted figures offered in kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look great! Nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very good thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great looking! Liking the comic bookynes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic detailing on the shirt logos and the tie/pocket protector stuff. Great job all around but those stick out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all very much. I strongly advise everybody to paint their survivors. The sculpts are wonderful, but you really have a hard time seeing the details with the brightly coloured plastic. As you can see, you don't need much technique to make them look pretty cool. Just a bit of patience to try and get all the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

It looks like you left the bases unpainted. Did you prime these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, left the bases unpainted. The original colours are good to help identify the survivors with their stat cards. And no, I didn't prime these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
Mind that I'm not that great a painter...

I appreciate the modesty, but that meets my definition of great painting!

I was thinking I would definitely try to do a wash on mine to help bring out some detail. But maybe I'll give painting a shot, even though I really suck at painting. Or maybe I'll just send them to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm still struggling with the decision not to apply a wash. I'm happy with their look, but maybe a light wash could work... dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask what brand paint you used? My paints are dying out and these colours really shine here.

Also, this is a great paint job here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Holm
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Did you get to do any of the zombies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blossercubbles wrote:
May I ask what brand paint you used? My paints are dying out and these colours really shine here.

I use a weird mix of whatever I could get my hands on. Some enamels and acrylics by Humbrol, some Game Color and a few Citadel paints.

Haven't touched the zombies yet. Taking the plunge into painting the zombies is a scary commitment. Once you paint a single one, you have to do the other 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
Yeah, I'm still struggling with the decision not to apply a wash. I'm happy with their look, but maybe a light wash could work... dunno.
I wasn't suggesting that your figures needed a wash. What I meant was that I was thinking of only doing a wash on mine to give some definition to the otherwise unpainted figures. I think yours look great as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, right. Yeah, if you're not up to painting them, at least giving them a wash should already help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Thiago, these are awesome! I want to see your take on the zombies next, especially the big one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tell you what, you really do not appreciate what a great job you did until you have the actual mini in your hand. I received my copy today and when I saw their size, I was truly amazed at your good work. I'm going to buy a set of paints from Army Painter and give it a go, but I doubt mine will come out half as good as yours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose we can use this thread to talk about and show off paint jobs right? zombie

I finished one tray of zombies today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know when you want to paint mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
I suppose we can use this thread to talk about and show off paint jobs right?

Sure, I never intended this to be MY thread, just a thread about, well, painting zombicide.

Nice work on the zombies. I haven't started mine yet, since I'm painting the survivors for a friend. One thing that concerns me about painting the zombies is giving them multicoloured clothes. I think the zombie hordes work well in a sort of monotone, drab sameness. Though I do intend to give the runners flashy sporty colours, so that they are easily identifiable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
I suppose we can use this thread to talk about and show off paint jobs right? zombie

I finished one tray of zombies today.

Those look great! Care to share a little of your process? I should get my box today and want to start painting ASAP... Don't have much experience, so looking for tips on how others do large paint jobs like this.

Looks like simple basecoat colors, a little detailing and then the same wash on everything?

Thanks for the pics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I did for those zombies:

- Sprayed with Army Painter necrotic flesh colored primer.
- Brushed on base colors for clothing, hair, etc.
- Dipped in Army Painter Quickshade strong tone.
- Highlighted flesh with Vallejo dead flesh.
- Applied gore and vomit by brushing and stipling.
- Sprayed with Testor's Dullcote.

That is the contents of one tray. The second tray has been primed with light grey, I plan to use that as the base flesh color and see how it comes out of the dip. I could follow with a flesh wash if needed but I think it will give a good look for more recently dead flesh. This will bring a bit more variety into the horde, and I also plan to use more muted colors for clothing on the remaining two trays.

Once I set all the minis out to spray it bothered me that there were so few poses. They don't make a good mob unless you get some good variety in there, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool - thanks for the tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.