Subject: Crank up the heat easily and thematically rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This very well may have been discussed before, but in case not, I'd like to share.

I got this idea from the lonesome gamer's ATOE videos, so credit goes to him. He felt there wasn't much need really to leave the main board if playing with SW board. Sure, you can get some cool items over there, but the bulk of what matters is in town on the main board, and there's no urgent reason, other than to collect some investigation on the SW board. Keep in mind, this mainly concerns the base game villains in regards to using multiple boards, and coop/solo play. They don't spread you out.

His off the cuff thought balloon was maybe to require the heroes to collect the investigation tokens if they reach a certain amount on any given board. Say, 8 for example. Any more, and the shadow track advances 1. To me, the bonus is it's very thematic as well. With this extra trouble brewing, it makes sense for the urgency to increase.

This all serves two purposes. 1, it gives the heroes more defined reason to spread out. And 2, which is what occured to me, is it does give more purpose and urgency overall. And, if you want to crank the pressure further, make the investigation token limit less. You'll have more on your mind than just meandering arounding pumping up your character. The sweat will be on.

So, what do you think? It's effortless to impliment, it fits thematically, it increases the challenge, and the clunkiness of charts (advanced coop) can be set aside if their main purpose was mostly for more challenge. Optional of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a lot of cases, the buildup of minions on the second board thanks to the Lair cards has forced me to quickly move over. Let too many build up and they'll soon invade in force!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midnight Rider wrote:
2, which is what occured to me, is it does give more purpose and urgency overall. And, if you want to crank the pressure further, make the investigation token limit less. You'll have more on your mind than just meandering arounding pumping up your character. The sweat will be on.
I actually really like this idea! It kinda gives a pandemic/defenders of the realm feel to the game that I think works really well in co-ops.

That is one thing this game needs in terms of the co-op game - more ways to lose, because (let's be honest) this game is a cake-walk when playing cooperatively at 4+ heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midnight Rider wrote:
He felt there wasn't much need really to leave the main board if playing with SW board.

I don't accept this premise. I haven't seen the videos, so I don't know what kind of "need" he's talking about. But, if your goal is efficiency, then you have to remember the secret passage. If you're at the Manor House, then you are actually closer to the Monastery and the Inn than you are to the Olde Woods or Abandoned Keep.

Quote:
the bulk of what matters is in town on the main board

Disagree. Monastery items are, in general, better and cheaper than Town items. The Inn is, in general, better for healing than the Doctor's Office. The more powerful items on the SW board are arguably equal to the potential stat increases from the Church and Magistrate (and have the advantage of being transferable, if it's a co-op game).

Quote:
So, what do you think? It's effortless to impliment, it fits thematically, it increases the challenge, and the clunkiness of charts (advanced coop) can be set aside if their main purpose was mostly for more challenge. Optional of course.

Although I disagree with the incentive for this variant, I do think it sounds interesting. I like that it makes the standard Co-op chart a little more dangerous (because that chart frequently adds Investigation to the board), and I like that it adds another task for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea. In the couple of times I played with the SW board, I didn't really feel a need to spend much time there. There weren't too many minions, since I think we played the Banshee and the bog fiend respectively.

The SW items are great, but down on the southern end of the board you spend too much time moving from place to place. The Manor shortcut is nice but it's all the way up in the corner, and if your dice rolls aren't so good you might spend multiple turns just getting up there. It happens. And meanwhile the base Shadowbrook corner locations beckon, so invitingly close...

So, credit and thanks to the lonesome gamer I'll suggest it the next time we play with the SW board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.