Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So.

A non-grognard sees a wargame (Napoleonic Wars, Paths of Glory, Case Blue....) set up on your table, and utters the unforgivable question.

What's your standard response? (Physical violence not permitted for purposes of this survey )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of your parenthetical statement, I can't answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, But with Ponies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happened to me and another BGG'er last summer, as we were playing Storm Over Stalingrad in a hotel lobby. A younger person (mid-teens) asked that very question. My answer, which I delivered in what I hope was a polite and friendly manner, was, "yes, in a lot of ways it is. With this game, they just made the rules a little more realistic and complicated, and made the game about a real battle instead of a generic war." The person who asked seemed satisfied with that answer, nodded in acknowledgement, watched for another minute, and walked on. I figured there was no reason to be a jerk to a complete stranger who took the time to ask about the game, and who knows, maybe down the road that person will pursue an interest in the hobby themselves.

Here is a picture I took with my cellphone from that experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes, Risk on steroids...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why yes! Care to learn and join me?"

Because let's face it 98% of the time we are playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to say:

"I appreciate that you are using an understandably limited frame of reference to engage with me over something you think we may have in common. If you care to sit down I'll try to explain all the ways the game is like Risk and all the ways it isn't. We can even play a few turns if you have the time. By the way I'm not a curmudgeonly, elitist, windbag like most wargamers so don't try your Risk Gambit too often. Would you like a drink?"

Actually now that I think about it, I AM a curmudgeonly, elitist, windbag but I'd try not to let the mask slip. Booze should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Happened to me and another BGG'er last summer, as we were playing Storm Over Stalingrad in a hotel lobby. A younger person (mid-teens) asked that very question. My answer, which I delivered in what I hope was a polite and friendly manner, was, "yes, in a lot of ways it is. With this game, they just made the rules a little more realistic and complicated, and made the game about a real battle instead of a generic war." The person who asked seemed satisfied with that answer, nodded in acknowledgement, watched for another minute, and walked on. I figured there was no reason to be a jerk to a complete stranger who took the time to ask about the game, and who knows, maybe down the road that person will pursue an interest in the hobby themselves.

I think you nailed it.

A thought I had though, don't most wargames in progress look more like Stratego than Risk? Maybe Stratego is more obscure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:
So.

A non-grognard sees a wargame (Napoleonic Wars, Paths of Glory, Case Blue....) set up on your table, and utters the unforgivable question.

What's your standard response? (Physical violence not permitted for purposes of this survey )

Yes. Yes it is. Want to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago I came home after playing Case Blue all day and the gf had a few friends over and I tried to explain to them what I had been doing, and Risk was the best comparison I could come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Risk :: Wargame
Little League :: Major League Baseball"

"Want to learn how to play?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:

Unforgivable? Not in the least. How on earth could I blame someone for using the vocabulary they have to describe something as best as that vocabulary allows?

I'm happy to give them a more expansive vocabulary to understand wargaming more precisely, but in the meantime, getting upset is pointless. Doing so would be like getting upset when someone asks, 'Ecru? That's a sort of brownish color, right?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who takes offense at that question is just doing themselves and the hobby as a whole a disservice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of reminds of this TRUE STORY from my naive youth. Don't know exactly how old I was but I was no more than 10 or 12, I'm sure.

One of my friends told me about the word f***. I told another friend whose mother was a nurse. He said, "Sounds a lot like human reproduction."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Wargames? Really? XBox or PS3?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I don't know. What's Risk! "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Risk is when she says, she is incapable of bearing children and you believe her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
The person who asked seemed satisfied with that answer, nodded in acknowledgement, watched for another minute, and walked on.

After which he promptly went back to resume his PSP game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"A little bit, but it's based on real historical events. Ever heard of the Napoleonic Wars/WWI/the Russian Front?." And then you go from there, depending on their response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

Here is a picture I took with my cellphone from that experience!

I noticed you weren't using the Australia Barricade offensive, what kind of game are you playin' at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Eldard wrote:

Risk is when she says, she is incapable of bearing children and you believe her.

That's not "Risk." That's "Yes!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use the answer, "yes, and no". First I affirm the ways the game I am playing is similar to Risk. This helps them get the necessary frame of reference to be able to understand when I tell them all the wonderful ways it is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Eldard wrote:

But then sometimes you end up with gorgeous kids - see avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a surprising comment from somebody who has little knowledge of wargames. Kind of like when people hear that I like jazz, and tell me they just love Kenny G. In most cases you won't want to spend the time it would take to educate them about the differences, and in most cases they won't want to hear it anyway. There are those moments where everything clicks, you give it a go, and it turns out well, but they are rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.