United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
(What, like I'm going to let the book thread have more exclamation points than me?)

Continued from the picture thread that has no pictures in it right now.

Fedora, you said your kid has a lot of rubber balls from caches. What do you bring to replace the stuff you take? Obviously they're all small trinkets, but should I just go to the dollar store and spend five bucks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
More incentive to try this.

My dog would live new bouncy rubber balls. I'll just make sure he doesn't get to pick what to leave behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! Love to see a new thread on this Sigafoos!

Yeah, I hit the dollar store and picked up a few trinkets.

But you can also just grab a dollar bill, register it at www.wheresgeorge.com and throw that in.

There's a ton of Happy Meal toys, old cards, trinkets, etc. The rings from coin machines, old bouncy balls, fun treasures.

I've put books I picked up for a $.25 in some (in a plastic bag of course)...

And there are some trinkets that are tagged to travel, so you give em a goal and send them on their way... And there are ways to track how they do... (Travel Bugs or Geocoins).

Anyway, I am now subscribed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Dangit. Looks like I'll be buying a $10 app soon.

I think I need to get into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 seems steep for an app
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
$10 seems steep for an app

I spent $100 on a GPS tracker when I got into it the first time (and used like three times, then shoved in a box...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So, I found the geocaching.com guy, and its free trial iOS app.

And I found an opencaching.com one, with its own free app (looks like its Garmin-sponsored).

I'll probably try a couple from each and see how it goes.

Trinket-wise, maybe I'll leave some fun dice behind. It's a gamer thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this once several years ago. I should do this again. Very good excuse to get outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also done geocaching off and on over the last couple years. Glad to see others interested in it, and like everyone else, I should get back into it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an ongoing hobby of ours - we've been going caching for over 11 years. The standard geocaching.com app is pretty good on the iphone - it's the one I'd recommend if you're going to use the phone as your GPS. Note that you don't HAVE to trade - I see a lot of TL:LN:SL (Took Nothing, Left Nothing, Signed Log) but it is pretty fun. Dollar store, Oriental Trading Company... If I'm caching without the kids I'll trade for "signature items" - wooden nickels, little handmade stickers, etc that other cachers have made...

If you haven't gone before start with simple ones - medium to large size caches rated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded a free android geocaching app, and found some ones near my house.

I'll start one after I finish moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!

I love the response!

If anyone needs any help working out what would be a good first cache, send me a gm with your zip, and I'll work it out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe this afternoon, we'll try the three caches near our house from the free app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried three on Friday (found one) and found four with th' boy today. So yeah, I guess I'm hooked now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome!

My very first cache was in NJ at a park near my parents house. I had bought them a GPS for Christmas and was taking them out for a test attempt at Geocaching. We hikes through high grass, muddy ditches, and eventually found a round Tupperware container wrapped in camo duct tape. I was hooked, my parents were amused. I left them and drove back home to Central PA without a GPS. It took me six months to finally get one, but that didn't stop me from caching. I found almost thirty by satellite pics and coordinate.

Seven years and 600 finds later, I'm still all over it.

Enjoy the hunt everyone!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Found three out of four we looked for within a half mile radius of our house.

The one we didn't find was in a pile of stones. One of the stones even had a hole cut in it, but it wasn't there. I think someone may have moved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We made our first attempt this weekend as well, up near the grandparent's house. I selected out a few closest in proximity to their house and we tried our first Sat evening. It was off of a trail in a state park that we've walked several times before, never knowing. We had to head into the woods a good 100' from the trail to find it, and the phone GPS under tree cover would get us in a range of about 10' from it, so it took a bit of searching. But the kids were pretty excited with the treasure find:

Mrs. Vasi had fun too, so we planned out the next day's 3 caches. The grandparents got curious too, so they joined in. Turned out to be quite a nice day:

The grandparents even started looking up others to find on their own.

A good time by all, and I can't thank you wolves enough. Looking forward to more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great pics Pete!

It's addicting. The kids are always interested on going for a find, and I usually look up a few whenever we are traveling (especially if I'm on a trip for work and have the evenings free on my own)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Q. Dangerpants, esq
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Fedora, thanks very much for the recommendation! My fiancée Alexis and I went to Middlesex Fells and found two caches, I hadn't been there for years and I forgot how nice the view from the tower is!

We both enjoyed it a lot, plan to go again the next free weekend we get.

Me with Boston in the background

View of Boston from the tower

The cache was hidden under this false rock just off the main trail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing my best (and mostly failing) to not be overly into Geocaching and annoy my wife, but I've been collecting all the micros near my house and work as time allows (15 total; I had one before this). Saturday we went to Shakespeare in the Park and I found one of the two that stumped me 8/10. The first time there had been kids standing right where it said it should be. This time the coast was clear and it still took me 15-20 minutes. It turns out it was a small M&M Mini container (or something) wrapped in dark green duct tape and zip tied to a branch. Once I had signed the log a bunch of people kept walking by so I had to stand as nonchalantly as I could by myself in a group of trees visibly off the path.

I'd like to do more in more wooded areas. Going on hikes sounds like a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
We went for a bike rise around a nearby neighborhood and found 2/3 on Sunday. Would have found more, but we were headed over to continue our Descent campaign at our friends' place.

Also fun, I decided to let the dog run alongside my bike for a bit instead of rising in my wife's basket. Worked out pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyDanger wrote:

View of Boston from the tower

Wow, you can see me on the right edge of this photo, way in the background!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how many people have gotten into this.

It resparked my interest in caching... So this week I'm 3/5 for caching on vacation in WV. Took my 5yo nephew out along with my 6yo daughter and SIL. They're all hooked.

Sig, it's hard not to be addicted. My wife tolerates it but she is all about the hikes.

Tommy - awesome pics. Might have to find that cache
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're ever in Cooperstown, NY, there's a really tough one by the police station. As in, you HAVE to poke around like an idiot in full view of the front desk, where the officers know exactly what you're doing and will be laughing at you. Nearly all of the logs (including mine) say that they got help from an officer. It's a multi step cache, and once you get past the (nano sized) first part it's pretty easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I may have to attempt to locate some les caches in Montreal this afternoon. I'm worried that it may be a bit difficult without the use of my phone, but I do have a vehicle GPS, so maybe I can find a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.