Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff S
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will be heading to GenCon for the first time with my 10 year old son. He has played all sorts of games including some more advanced stuff such as Through the Ages, Hannibal, Agricola, etc, etc. I can't say he always chooses the best moves (he's still 10) but he can hold his own.

I've been to Origins and some smaller regional conventions, but I am wondering what people's general attitudes are towards playing games in the GenCon game room that include kids. Are people generally open to this or do people mostly look to play with adults only? For example if my son and I set up a game of Dominant Species or A Game of Thrones, would a ten year old at the table influence whether or not you joined in? Perhaps sticking to shorter games is best. Is it better to join other people's games or invite others to join us? Is anyone in a similar situation? Anyone have suggestions for making the GenCon experience with a ten year old more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance your you thoughts.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm taking my boys (ages 11, 8, and 5) for the second time. They had a blast last year, though that was primarily through walking through the dealer's hall, playing in some kid-focused events (and oogling over some of the other events going on), and playing the occasional demo.

My 11-year-old sounds as though he's in about the same boat as your 10-year-old in that he likes to play some of the more strategic games, but doesn't always make the best moves (although for some reason he does tend to beat me at Power Grid).

If you're looking to have you and your boy play with others his age, I may be able to drop by with my boy(s). We've got events scheduled throughout each day again, but if you know of a time you'll be gaming in the game room, we may be able to get together. Feel free to GM me if you're looking for some gamers more his age.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids are not uncommon at Gen Con, and I think many gamers are perfectly okay with gaming with "mature" kids that aren't squirrling around and holding up games with questions... however I do think that Gen Con is very much a vacation away from family and work for some people. Where they may be all for playing with kids under normal circumstances, they may shy away from heavier games like Dominant Species with kids. I think part of this is wanting to play at their best and wanting to make game play efficient and strategic in a short amount of time... which they may view impossible to do with a 10 year old. Something light or a card game though, I'm sure you'll have plenty of interested parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Paprocki
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played board games with a lot of kids over the years at Gen Con. In general, folks playing the demo areas (exhibit hall mostly) are mainly interested in learning how a game plays and won't be too concerned with whether or not a given kid is a "worthy" opponent. In the open gaming areas you can choose your tablemates and discuss any concerns in advance. I suspect you'll both have a great experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jl alexander
United States
bellbrook
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a bad experience playing a heavy game with a kid that knew the rules to the game and had experience with the game. Can't really say that about adults. Give me a game with a kid that is interested in the game anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.