Subject: Cities just gave this card a boost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
With the inclusion of Debt and Debt tokens, the A side of Catan just got a little power boost. I assume that the minus coins symbol on the Catan board will work the same as the City cards with the same symbol. I thought the power was a little weak if all my opponents were running with very little money as it would have no effect on them. With Cities, now we’ll have to watch the Catan player closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't assume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Spielguy wrote:
Don't assume.

Ah, right, heaven forbid we think for ourselves. Chalk up my opinion to obvious speculation instead of assumption if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I plan on following the rules for Debt if playing with Catan. I don't see why you wouldn't!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
I plan on following the rules for Debt if playing with Catan. I don't see why you wouldn't!

You wouldn't because Catan wasn't designed with Debt tokens in mind. Including them makes this Wonder more powerful, and possibly imbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

You wouldn't because Catan wasn't designed with Debt tokens in mind. Including them makes this Wonder more powerful, and possibly imbalanced.
Are you sure about that? Cities was already in the works when they made the Catan wonder, so unless the debt tokens were a last-minute addition they almost certainly accounted for them in the wonder.

Granted, if you're playing the Catan wonder with only the base game or Leaders (without Cities) you shouldn't use the debt tokens, but if Cities is in play the coin loss from the wonder stage should work exactly the same as the coin loss effects of the black cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Christian and Ken. When playing with Cities I will interpret Catan broken coins the same as the Cities card. The icons are the same and are interpreted in the rulebook.
If no playing with Cities then I will follow the rules specified for the Catan board, since there aren't any debt tokens.

I'm just always amazed at the talk of Wonders being underpowered and overpowered. I find that success in the game depends much more on skill and what your neighbors are doing rather than the actual board. Play the board correctly and you greatly increase your chances to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting note: Side B of the Great Wall wonder in 7 Wonders: Wonder Pack also features the broken coin symbol. The rules contain this clarifier:

Quote:
If you’re not playing with the Cities expansion, a player who only has one coin left simply returns it to the bank, a player who has
no coins left does not suffer this loss.

This is probably the closest thing we have to an "official ruling" on Catan Island. Just like Great Wall, we should use debt tokens if we're playing with Cities, and not use them if we're not. So playing with Cities does make this wonder marginally more powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quaoar 10
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Catan expansion rulebook: "If a player only has one coin left, he only forfeits this one; if a player has no coins at all, he is not affected by the thief's actions.".

When playing with the Cities expansion, I use the debt tokens though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.