Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In honor of the Gen Con festivities and for all my loyal data addicts, I’ve put together some fun infographics about the massive growth of Board & Card games on Kickstarter in the past year and how it compares to last year.

Enjoy!

For more information and a download of the high-resolution images, head on over to http://blog.kicktraq.com/board-games-kickstarter-a-gen-con-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dahlman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Great info as usual thanks. And I'm always a fan of sticking the word plethora in wherever possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we not in a recession?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

If so, apparently board games on Kickstarter are somewhat insulated. I'd love to correlate sales trends with retail/game stores, but I doubt I could get someone on board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

Unlike other forms of entertainment, boardgames offer a lot of bang for the buck. This could account for them being a bit more resilient. Again, this is total speculation on my part but $50+ on dinner and a movie vs. a copy of Mage Knight Board Game. Well, that's not even a contest in my book. And the best part is, if the wife's ticked ... jokes on her. I can play Mage Knight solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pyrowolf wrote:
StevenE wrote:

If so, apparently board games on Kickstarter are somewhat insulated. I'd love to correlate sales trends with retail/game stores, but I doubt I could get someone on board

It wouldn't hurt to ask around, you might get some volunteers. There may also be some of that info available on the web, although I wouldn't know where to begin to look. [edit: your local library might be a good start, in their business section.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Another mitigating factor could be the expansion of the hobby into the "main-stream". Additional exposure from the wider availability of "gateway" games in retail establishments (such as Barnes & Nobel or Target) and to a lesser media coverage like the Table Top or cross-over games like Gears of War: The Board Game could be bringing in enough new blood to not only make up for reduced budgets but show an increase ... of course this would be at the expense of another industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.